Runaway

Read reviews or write your own, rate a game.
colpet
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Runaway

Postby colpet » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:49 pm

Seeing as I usually prefer Mysty type games, this game was a bit of a departure for me. I actually bought it because it was on sale, and I had heard some good comments about it.
Runaway is a 3rd person point and click game. At first I thought it was 'cartoony', but that was soon dispelled as the story unfolded. You follow Brian as he heads to Berkley to fulfill his dream of doing a Physics PhD. On the way, he literally runs over a beautiful and mysterious girl, Gina, and gets caught up in her flight from 2 thugs intent on stealing a crucifix that was given to her. There are graphic scenes of murder, transvestites, getting high discussions, plus tongue and cheek sexual innuendos that take this a few notches above the other cartoon type games that I've played.
There are some very interesting characters you meet along the way. The dialogue is not so extensive to be tedious, and it's pretty obvious when there is something new to ask. The places to explore are colorful and full of detail, and there is a map feature to make getting to them easier.
Did I enjoy it? Absolutely! Most of the puzzles are inventory based and fairly logical, though there is some serious pixel hunting to be done a few times. At the beginning, I was at a bit of a loss for what to do, and the game won't let you progress until you accomplish everything. I found that some items are only accessible after certain actions or dialogue, so going back over areas is recommended. Once I got that under my belt, it went more smoothly. Another bonus was the background music and the theme song was catchy and worked well in the game.
This was a good romp. If you are holding back playing this game like I was, reconsider. Apparently there is a sequel in the making, so it seems that Brian and Gina's adventure will continue - something to look forward to this year.
Playing Barrow Hill. Reading The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant,
Bacardi Jim
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Bacardi Jim » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:42 am

Still haven't finished the game because....

SPOILER ALERT!!!
Peanuts + butter = peanut butter/glue?
Sticking batteries in liquid nitrogen refreshes them?
These are just two of the wildly illogical puzzle solutions that plague the game. And then there is the diabolocal pixel hunting.
On the other hand, there is some sly (if derivative) humor, some pretty good animation and plotting that can be readily appreciated if you are a Broken Sword fan. (Which I am... the first two anyway.)

But I spent longer playing Priscilla, Queen of the Desert in this game than it took to actually watch the movie... thanks to illogical puzzles and the aforementioned pixel hunts. And that is just one derivative chapter.

I can't give a full opinion yet, as we haven't finished the game, but so far it is wildly uneven, with a lot of plusses going for it and a few serious minuses.
Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior... if human beings don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.
colpet
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby colpet » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:35 am

I think one of the reasons I'm not fond of cartoony 3rd person games is because the inventory puzzles are often illogical. More often than not I resort to the try everything on anything to get by. I suppose you could still call that problem solving, in a way. Then, of course, if nothing works, you know you've missed an item or (god forbid) a dialogue tidbit.
Playing Barrow Hill. Reading The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant,
Bacardi Jim
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Bacardi Jim » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:47 am

It is the "...(God forbid) dialogue tidbit" that is probably what most turns me off in these games. All too often you are forced to go back and have an eighth conversation with somebody even though there is no rational reason to do so simply because some insignificant and unrelated event has opened up a new bit of dialogue from that character.

This was one of the biggest downfalls of the much-heralded Black Mirror. It is also one of Runaway's flaws.

Nevertheless, both games have a lot to offer stylistically. But I've never had much patience for style-over-substance.
Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior... if human beings don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.
Ghostlady
Mistress of the Manor
Mistress of the Manor
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Ghostlady » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:40 pm

Nice review Colpet. I enjoyed playing Runaway, in a comical sense. Some of the scenery in the west was gorgeous and since I have some roots in Arizona, I really got off to it. The characters were lively and funny. I am looking forward to Runaway 2.
Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again...
Jalax
Restless Spirit
Restless Spirit

Postby Jalax » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:25 pm

I would rate this one Number 1 out of all the games I played in 2005. It had a great story and could be played without a walkthrough.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:35 am

I enjoyed it too Jalax. Very entertaining all the way through!

Return to “Review or Rate Games”