My thoughts about Paradise

Read reviews or write your own, rate a game.
danyboy
Diabolically Devilish Moderator
Zodiac: Aquarius

My thoughts about Paradise

Postby danyboy » Tue May 30, 2006 8:11 am

Hi guys,

I was a lot deceived by the game, mutiple kind of bugs, mouse, sound, pixel hunting, puzzles too easy, a lot of walking, some phrases repeated over and over, images are almost perfect except the fact that from a far sight the characters aren't well designed. I'm one of Mr. Sokal biggest fan but this time he deceived me a lot. The main character Ann Smith is without emotions, she's almost robotic (funny because Oscar was an automaton and he showed some emotions), even at the end she was made of steel. The leopard (her sidekick) is as forgettable as Ann is, I wouldn't have missed him if he wasn't around, this wasn't a great game, the game was just o.k. I was expecting another Syberia but this isn't, Kate I missed you so much!!!!

CU

danyboy :)
I want to break free from your lies
You're so self satisfied,
I don't need you
Melia
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Postby Melia » Tue May 30, 2006 6:23 pm

Guess what's NOT on my games-to-buy list.
I have this theory that chocolate slows down the aging process.
It may not be true, but do I dare take the chance? :shock:
danyboy

Postby danyboy » Tue May 30, 2006 6:38 pm

Melia wrote:Guess what's NOT on my games-to-buy list.

Like I said before this is my perception of it, it's not because I don't like something that other wont like it, I do hope that a patch will be available very soon!

CU

I don't need you
Angelfire
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Postby Angelfire » Tue May 30, 2006 7:22 pm

I've only gotten out of the palace but I tend to agree with you Danyboy. The pixel hunting with the very small cursor is almost maddening. While the scenery is very pretty the people are blurry. But I'll keep going.
danyboy

Postby danyboy » Tue May 30, 2006 9:49 pm

Hi guys,

Have you encountered any bugs so far?

CU

I don't need you
Angelfire
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Postby Angelfire » Wed May 31, 2006 4:42 am

So far the only one has been the cursor - it seemed to have a life of it's own at first but it's settled down.

Did you run into very many?
Melia
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Postby Melia » Wed May 31, 2006 2:38 pm

DB, I've been reading other reviews that say how boring the game is. Have you found that to be true?
I have this theory that chocolate slows down the aging process.

It may not be true, but do I dare take the chance? :shock:
danyboy

Postby danyboy » Wed May 31, 2006 2:51 pm

Hi guys,

I can't say that's completly boring but it isn't a game that I was able to immersed into. I could leave it there for a couple of days without causing myself too much pain.

CU

I don't need you
Katsmom
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Postby Katsmom » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:20 am

My opinion of Paradise is the same as Danyboy's. :roll: I was very disappointed in this game. I did get bored at times, but mostly I was irritated by a cursor that went left when I told it to go right (etc.), a story that was confusing and didn't really develop, and an ending that made no sense and left me cold. :(

Is this game buggy? Ohmigosh. There are so many glitches and bugs in the game, that it seems like it was coded by students in a beginner's class for computer game designers. I don't think it's possible to fix all the problems in Paradise with a patch (or two or three). They should have taken much more time to get things right, before releasing it to the marketplace. :tsk

Benoit Sokal did create some wonderful, imaginative creatures again. They were the highlight of the game for me. The black leopard, which is supposed to be an integral part of the story, keeps disappearing (or you can't get near him). When he does appear, it's very confusing... because you get to play with him without it making the slightest difference in the game. :huh

I didn't think the graphics were beautiful because they were all so monotone... black, gray, brown, and beige. The atmosphere is supposed to suggest poverty and decay, plus the ravages of war... and it succeeded in that respect. I was so depressed while playing this game, I needed breaks to cheer myself up! :roll:

How did they choose the name of this game? Where is 'Paradise' supposed to be? Is it in the palace, where snotty girls are enslaved in the Prince's harem? Is that what we're supposed to feel sad about losing? :dunno

I don't like spending full price for a game that isn't worth it. Paradise costs $40.00 in the store... and (to me) wasn't worth half that much. I wish I'd waited to buy this one second-hand.
shortleg
Restless Spirit
Restless Spirit

Postby shortleg » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:05 pm

Just thought you guys might like to know that a patch has been released that fixes some of the bugs and cursor issues. :)

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php ... ad&order=0
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:01 am

I wonder how they can put out a game so obviously 'buggy' - surely this should have been sorted out much earlier??? Before release???
What will eventually happen is that folk will refrain from buying early releases and wait for things to be sorted ... and then the creators wont get their money ... and then games like this will disappear because of presumed lack of interest!!!

Sorry just letting off steam!! Can't stand inefficiently at any level but especially not when it costs people hard-earned cash. Seems to me that an extra two month's delay would have made all the difference.
Angelfire
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Postby Angelfire » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:06 pm

Thanks Shortleg. I didn't even finish it before. May try it again, maybe :P
danyboy

Postby danyboy » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:12 pm

Hi guys,

You're right Val, this game was very deceiving.

CU

I don't need you
shortleg
Restless Spirit
Restless Spirit

Postby shortleg » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:39 pm

Angelfire wrote:Thanks Shortleg. I didn't even finish it before. May try it again, maybe :P

Same here, I stopped playing at the very beginning of the Zamarat Mines, by that point I really wasn't digging the story and was just plain out bored, the bugs had me really fed up with everything too. May give it another try down the road, but i doubt it, the beginning was just really boring in my opinion.
britsy
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby britsy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:37 am

I was lucky only to encounter the cursor problem -
and one crash.

I found the story introduced elements that were never resolved - you would think they would be important to the story - but they are ignored as you move to the next scene.

I can't see ANY reason to include the lepoard - or did I miss something?

The ending was awful - nuff said.

Parts of it had wonderful graphics - but others seemed less spectacular.

I don't want to give out any spoilers -

but for a game I had anticipated so eagerly - it was vey much a let down.

I can never stop playing a game until I finish - even if I'm not enjoying it and want to start a new one.
I never play mor than one game at once.
At least this one had easy puzzles - and I finished it quickly.

Don't expect Amerzone or Syberia. :sad:

Return to “Review or Rate Games”