Temujin

Read reviews or write your own, rate a game.
warmbear
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Temujin

Postby warmbear » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:41 am

Time for another quickie review by moi... (There are all sorts of long reviews out there on games, so I only post short reviews here.)

Temujin:

First a quick note: Although this is an older game, it ran flawlessly on my XP machine without a great deal of fuss. I believe that this game was designed to run orignally on Win9x AND on WinNT (Win XP is the latest release of Win NT)...

On to the review:

This is a point 'n' click adventure. The game's interface is well thought out, and is easy to use.

This game, being somewhat older, uses the old style, smaller game "window", although I have to mention that the non-playable portion of the computer screen is used for the game's interface, so the space is not at all wasted.

This game also has many FMV cutscenes, which really enhance the game's plot a great deal. The graphics overall are very good.

This game has a good background plot/story, which slowly unfolds as you play (in chapters, like a book). There is a fair amount of character interaction in this game, as well as puzzles, and it seems to be a good mix, well balanced.

Puzzles - no really "unfair" puzzles noted;. Puzzle difficulity is varied and keeps you thinking. There is quite a fair amount of inventory collecting to do as well. There is one puzzle/sequence that had me talking to myself, however. There is a catapult puzzle in the game which I thought I would never complete. I finally did complete it, but I cannot tell you why it worked that last time because I never changed how I was solving it.

No pixel hunting noted.

Gameplay: 9 (1 point lost for the infamous catapult puzzle)
Graphics: 9 (1 point lost for smaller than modern game window)
Interface: 10
Storyline: 10

Total 38 out of 40 points

Other than the noted flaws (one of which is largely due to the game's age), this is a prime example of how Adventure Games should be created. Lots of puzzles; Lot's of plot, Lot's of character interactions, and Lot's of inventory collecting (and using).

A Good Game
w~
Fairygdmther
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Postby Fairygdmther » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:46 am

A couple of months ago I tried to play this game on my XP, but it was very pixellated, making it difficult to see. I didn't get very far into it, because it was so blurred. Warmbear, did you make any adjustments to the graphics, or do you have any suggestions as to what I could do to make it less blurry and pixellated? What screen setting did you use? I use 1280 x 1024, on a 17" flat screen monitor. BTW, if anyone wants a copy, I have two - I have no idea how I managed that.

FGM
warmbear
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Postby warmbear » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:15 am

I just opened this again to look at it quickly, and although the focus is somewhat soft in places, I would not say that it is terribly pixelated. I can easily read the name plates on the doors in the museum, as well as notes on desks, etc.. The FMV sequences are fairly crisp.

I am running 600x800 screen resolution.. I expect that this game was designed to run in 480x640 screen resolution. I hope that you can get it adjusted, as the game is definitly worth playing.

I would NOT judge the game by the somewhat soft focus you see when you "look" at the paintings in the gallery; It is not representative of the overall game, imho.
w~
Fairygdmther
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Postby Fairygdmther » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:17 pm

I did play it for an hour or two, up to where you are in a room in the museum with all the displays, and you had to examine each one. That was very frustrating trying to identify objects, in a blur of color. Maybe I'll try it again in the 800 x 600 resolution. No, wait, I think I got as far as getting out of the museum, still really at the beginning, though.

M

Return to “Review or Rate Games”