Drowned God

Read reviews or write your own, rate a game.
warmbear
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Drowned God

Postby warmbear » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:43 am

Another ever-so-exciting review from yours truly....

Drowned God:

More point 'n' click goodness (no keyboard jumping required - YAY!)...

First of all, this is an older game, designed to run on Win 9x. I was able to get it to run under WinXP without too much trouble, but I had to apply a couple of (old Win 9x) patches first.

Drowned God is a somewhat strange game. It is primarily puzzles, with a very loosely knit (almost bizzare) storyline. If you have played Jewels of the Oracle and/or Jewels II, the Ultimate Challenge and liked those games, you will likely find that Drowned God is made for you.

As this is an older game, it suffers from some flaws:
1. There are only 6 save game slots.
2. CD 1 must be in the drive in order to start the game, no matter what CD you are currently playing.

There are a couple of characters in the game, but by and large, character interaction is very limited.

There is a very noteworthy puzzle which creates a debate sequence between Sir Issac Newton & Albert Enstein, which is very, very well done.

There are some runes that you have to carry and place in appropriate spots, but there is no real inventory to speak of.

I did not notice any really unfair puzzles, but I did notice that movement could be finicky/fiddly at times, which could make gameplay difficult. ( I did get actually "stuck" in a couple of places, and had to restart the game to clear the problem)

So:

Gameplay: 8
Graphics: 7 (Some of the graphics are very bizzare - floating, speaking heads, anyone? ... Also, the graphics tended to suffer from the "too dark" syndrome)
Interface: 8 (points lost for movement issues, and other techincal glitches)
Storyline: 5 (Little storyline; Mainly bizzare "Aliens used to be here on earth" theories mixed with "Orwellian future" theories.. One of the strangest storylines I have even seen in an AG)

Total 28 out of 40 points

This one is really recommended for "puzzlers". (and you know who you are.. laughter)
w~
Fairygdmther
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Postby Fairygdmther » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:06 am

I enjoyed this one, but I had trouble with that 9 Man Morris, and that one with the guard where you drink from the chalice. I'm not too good at those types of mini-games. It certainly was a bizarre plot, wasn't it? I did like it though.

FGM
warmbear
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Postby warmbear » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:23 am

Yes, I almost mentioned the 9 man morris puzzle, which is one of my least favorite puzzle types, as being very difficult.. It took me awhile to get past it as well, as you had to beat the guard 2 out of 3 times, and the game randomizes the puzzle.

I found that I saved the game after the guard won the first game, and I won the second game; Then I simply kept restarting that save game until I beat the guard a second time.
w~

Return to “Review or Rate Games”