Creature of Kapu Cave

Read reviews or write your own, rate a game.
Angelfire
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Postby Angelfire » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:37 pm

I've played about half of the game and have to agree with Casesolver. I'd also like to add that the traveling between locations has too much of an "action"feel to it. Nancy does have to keep up with technology but it seems like a teenage boy got a hold of the progamming! So far the game doesn't have the leisurely, fun atmosphere.
CaseSolver
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Postby CaseSolver » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:28 pm

I wish we could have actually driven the SUV, like in Secret of the Old Clock.
All Time Low <3
Katsmom
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Postby Katsmom » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:25 am

Well, my friends, I have played The Creature of Kapu Cave (twice) -- and I liked it! :huh For me, it was quite enjoyable... except for a serious technical problem I experienced while playing it.

After my incredible disappointment with Danger By Design, I had low expectations of Kapu Cave. But for me, this game was much better than DBD -- more like the ND games of the past. Yes, it still has lots of 'collecting' tasks and 'back-and-forthing' activities; but in Kapu Cave, there's lots of variety and choices offered to you. There's little risk of getting lost, because the cursor guides you almost all the time. They cut out most of the annoying "chit-chat" that wastes time. Bess and George could be helpful in other games, but for the most part -- phone conversations with them were pointless. I didn't miss them at all. True, Ned only offered me a hint one time -- but I didn't need a hint in this game. I was able to figure things out myself (*when the technical problem didn't hinder me).

I was impressed with the way they integrated the character-switching, and thought it worked very well. I hate action/arcade sequences and timed puzzles -- and this game kept them to a minimum. There's one arcade game that offers you a prize, but it's not necessary to complete it to finish the game.

I consider myself an amateur adventure gamer, even though I've played quite a few games. I always need to consult a walkthrough. So I appreciated the relatively easy puzzles in Kapu Cave. :D I can understand, though, that some adventure gamers would find it too easy and therefore, not enjoyable.

Is HI making the ND games for children now, more than adults? Well... I don't think children would have a clue about the meaning of words like "frass" and "detritus predominance." :shock: If anything, I think HI should have used less technical language or explained what all those fancy words mean.

Yes, the plot/storyline was confusing as far as figuring out what 'crime' was being investigated and who was guilty. But at the end of the game, there's a very comprehensive 'wrap-up' given by Nancy, which explains everything. By contrast, I thought the wrap-up in Danger By Design explained very little.

Am I the only one who really liked this game?

I do want to mention the technical problem I experienced, which made it impossible for me to complete certain puzzles without the walkthrough. I've never had a technical problem with a Nancy Drew game before, and I don't know what the reason is -- but the graphics in some locations were incredibly dark and I couldn't do anything to lighten them. I have an onboard graphics chipset instead of a 'real' video card. I believe that was responsible for the problem. I tried in vain to adjust my gamma and brightness levels, but the game wouldn't use them. When I minimized the game, my desktop had reverted to the game's dark settings! :roll: My monitor settings were brightened to the maximum possible; and I played with the contrast settings. Nothing helped.

The Kapu Cave puzzles were impossible for me to complete this way. Part of the puzzles were invisible to me. So I had to use the walkthrough to get past them.

After finishing the game, I kept working on the problem to see if I could fix it. I discovered a solution that (finally) allowed me to play the game with normal graphics... and I got to see what I'd been missing. :cool: The game plays in 640 x 480 screen resolution, and I keep my screen at 800 x 600 resolution. I set my desktop to 640 x 480 resolution before I launched the game, instead of depending on my graphics chipset to make the adjustment. I also boosted the gamma and brightness levels. I saved these settings as a graphics "theme" for my chipset. When I started the game, the graphics looked great -- but my game window was too small. So I used my monitor settings to adjust the size. I was able to play Kapu Cave a second time, and see everything perfectly. :tu

I rambled on about my video problem, in case someone else with an onboard graphics chipset has to struggle with dark graphics in The Creature of Kapu Cave. :whistle
CaseSolver
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Postby CaseSolver » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:54 am

Well, it definitely was not the worst ND game. But, I do feel as if Her Interactive is going downhill. I am looking forward to White Wolf of Icicle Creek though! :D

I didn't think it was too easy. But not as challenging as Curse of Blackmoor Manor, Secret of Shadow Ranch, or Secret of the Scarlet Hand.

I did like how HI has a certain "style" to their puzzles. But now they're getting too similar.

I just felt as if the ending was so random... :?
All Time Low <3
Melia
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Aquarius

Postby Melia » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:19 pm

CaseSolver wrote:Well, it definitely was not the worst ND game. But, I do feel as if Her Interactive is going downhill.

Does anyone have any inside scoop on what's happening at HI?
I have this theory that chocolate slows down the aging process.
It may not be true, but do I dare take the chance? :shock:

Return to “Review or Rate Games”