My Thoughts about Al Emmo & the Lost Dutchman's mine

Read reviews or write your own, rate a game.
danyboy
Diabolically Devilish Moderator
Zodiac: Aquarius

My Thoughts about Al Emmo & the Lost Dutchman's mine

Postby danyboy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:02 am

Al Emmo & the Lost Dutchman's mine:

Genre: Adventure

Developer & Publisher: Himalaya Studios

PC Requirements:

Win95, OSR2, 98, ME, 2000 or XP.

1 MB video RAM

800 Mhz processor

128 MB RAM

Direct X compatible video card, DirectX 9.0c

350 MB free disk space, DirectX compatible digital sound card

My Thoughts:

Al Emmo is a modern third person point-and-click game with an oldies touch. Humor is everywhere in this game. Don't hesitate to touch everything and talk to everyone; don't even hesitate to talk to the mule if you want! The narrator is very funny; it makes us forget that Al Emmo's voice is so anoying.Al Emmo is a middle aged Mr. Nobody, someone that you wouldn't care to talk to or to look at. After leaving the confort of his parents home he decided that it was time for him to find the perfect woman and marry her. Al Emmo isn't a sex symbol but he's very picky as to what kind of woman he wants. During his search for his perfect woman, he will encounter many funny situations.

It took me almost all of the chapter 1 to get into the game and like it. There is a lot of walking at the beginning but when you get the map that problem is resolved. Some of the chapters are very short but other take a lot of time to play. When you're looking for an object, as an example lets say a flower, since there are hundreds of them in the game, finding the right one is a pain in the &*? There's a lot of dialogue in the game but you can skip those by clicking on the mouse.

I don't get easily offended and I'm not a prudish person, but this game isn't for children. One of the scenes in the brothel could be offensive for children or a more prudish person. Even if that section of the game is supposed to be funny, the kind of humor in Al Emmo is directed to an adult audience.

Lets talk about the puzzles now. Most of them are inventory based, not very difficult and you wont have a headache after completing them. The hardest one according to me is the one when you need to make a drink. I doubt you will need a walkthrough for this game.

During the gamplay you will encounter a lot of celebrities. These celebrities are caricatures of real celebrities and these encounters are very funny. Music is average, western style, not really good or bad but well chosen for each situation. Sometime when you're looking for something, the humor of the narrator might get on your nerves. Some of the situations are very predictable but sometime you don't see the outcomes. Most of the situations or subjects present in the gameplay are very caricatural and ridiculous but that's what makes the game so enjoyable.

Sometimes controlling the character is very tricky; finding the right spot to click on to make him move that way is quite annoying.

The last chapter was very hard. You need to have sharp eyes and some quick mouse clicks. In two action sequences in that chapter I died almost 15 times before being able to finish that first action sequence. I'm not good at those so I don't like them.

Al Emmo is a smooth and relaxing game, a breath of fresh air and it has nothing to do with the games we're actually used to playing. I might play it once again one day (since I didn't touch everything, just by touching everything you can add 10 hours or more to the gameplay). The graphics are wonderful and there are lots of details to make the gameplay very enjoyable.

Image Image

This is a modern but classic, Sierra style adventure game. My final grade for the game is 8 / 10. I will definitely play the following game if there's one in the future.

CU

danyboy :)
Last edited by danyboy on Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ang
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby Ang » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:35 am

Great thoughts DB. As far as clicking on the right spot to get the characters to move..the little white dot can easily be missed. It could have been a little bigger and clearer for those that have a hard time seeing. All in all I agree with your thoughts. I played this game several times in testing for the "official guide" and caught more inuendos each time. :D
danyboy

Postby danyboy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:51 am

Hi guys,

Thanks Ang!

CU

draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:27 pm

I've had my reservations about this game, but the sense of humor you indicate may tempt me to buy it, Danyboy! Sounds interesting at the least.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Angelfire
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Postby Angelfire » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:32 pm

I agree Danyboy, this is the only game that has made me laugh out loud.
danyboy

Postby danyboy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:39 pm

Hi guys,

Thank you both!

CU

Ghostlady
Mistress of the Manor
Mistress of the Manor
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Ghostlady » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:37 pm

Interesting review DB. I want to play it all the more....
Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again...
danyboy

Postby danyboy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:18 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks GL!

CU

trudysgarden

Postby trudysgarden » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:12 am

Good work Danyboy, I agree with your thoughts about the game. I did a run through of this one and a walkthrough for Tami so that the "Official Guide" could be written and I really enjoyed it.

I totally agree that some of the humor could be slightly offensive to some people. One scene in particular - the one I think you're also referring to - was a little over the top. But the humor is solid and so is the gameplay. I was surprised by Al's voice at first but not annoyed by it. Usually voices themselves don't bug me as much as poor inflection does.

The artwork is excellent and it was nice and bright for a change. The characatures were often hilarious.

Again, good review.

happy trails,

Carolyn
draclvr
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:30 pm

Carolyn, good to see you! You've been a bit scarce lately! Between Danyboy's musings and your thoughts, I'm definitely going to check this one out. I think Hawka is going to loan me the copy she won in the drawing.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
danyboy

Postby danyboy » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:32 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks to both of you!

CU

sierramindy
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Postby sierramindy » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:41 pm

I have played this game and it reminded me of the old Sierra games, especially Leisure Suit Larry which had the same type of raunchy humor. I would like to see a sequel or at least another game like it.
They say to take things as they come, but who can handle them that fast?
danyboy

Postby danyboy » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:26 am

sierramindy wrote:I have played this game and it reminded me of the old Sierra games, especially Leisure Suit Larry which had the same type of raunchy humor. I would like to see a sequel or at least another game like it.

I hope so too!

CU

Katsmom
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Postby Katsmom » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:57 am

Danyboy, I just played Al Emmo (or should I say/write "AlemmO") -- and I agree with your opinion of the game. I enjoyed it very much, though I can't say that I laughed out loud. I did smile a lot, and gasped out loud occasionally (such as during that infamous brothel scene, already mentioned). :lol:

I had great difficulty (again) with dark graphics, and this spoiled some of my fun. Al Emmo plays in a very unique screen resolution -- 640 x 400 (not 480). My onboard graphics chipset seems to have trouble with games that play in less than 800 x 600 resolution. My monitor can handle it, though, and I was able to adjust the game window with my monitor controls. I just couldn't fix the gamma and brightness settings. For some locations (like the post office, cabin, and underground) I needed the walkthrough to learn what I needed to find -- but couldn't see.

Game creators and designers -- please consider including in-game adjustment controls for gamma and brightness levels... Some games have them, but most don't. The Win Setup program is a great idea. Now it needs to include settings for brightness. :D

Okay, back to the game now. One of my favorite games is Runaway: A Road Adventure (original) -- and Al Emmo reminded me of that game. If the cursor(s) weren't so picky and the hotspots so difficult to find, I think this game would have rated more highly with me. There's a scene with a cliff and a hanging (slim) rope... and good luck finding the exact spot needed to get Al back on that rope! :shock: (*not a dark graphics issue, but a game creator issue)

I liked the story, and thought it flowed very well. It's such a bizarre game, that the appearance of a militant termite exterminator in the middle of the desert didn't seem out of place at all. (*and good luck spotting the termites...)

I'm very critical of voice-overs in games, because I've had some experience in the field myself. I also get more irritated by poor inflection than by voices themselves -- but for me, the narrator's voice and lines were more annoying than Al Emmo's. Overall, I think the voice acting was pretty good.

I thought the end game sequence was wonderful. I hate arcade/action sequences, but this one is well done and allows us slow-pokes to (eventually) succeed -- giving us the option to 'try again' over and over again, without having to revert to a saved game. :cheers:

Kudos to the game creators, for surprising us at the end with realism instead of fantasy. (*can't say anymore, or it'll be a spoiler...)

I highly recommend the game to anyone except young children and/or right-wing, devoutly religious Republicans. :lol:

If they make a sequel, I'll definitely play it.
danyboy

Postby danyboy » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:02 am

Hi guys,

Thanks Katsmom!

CU

Return to “Review or Rate Games”