My thoughts about Barrow Hill

Read reviews or write your own, rate a game.
danyboy
Diabolically Devilish Moderator
Zodiac: Aquarius

My thoughts about Barrow Hill

Postby danyboy » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:35 am

Here are my thoughts about Barrow Hill :

You find yourself in Barrow Hill to uncover a hidden mystery buried their for hundreds of years. You’re stranded on the lonely road, which leads up to the Barrow; you must make your way through the trees, and darkening landscape, and out onto the Barrow itself. Following in the footsteps of the well-known archaeologist Conrad Morse you will discover that the barrow is more than just a mound of earth and a collection of forgotten standing stones. However, not all archaeology is constructive, for some things should be left buried and undisturbed. Perhaps it is too late for that…

It took me a while to get into the game, the game takes place at night and my old monitor is giving me a lot of trouble seeing things. When I got used to the surroundings and was able to find my way around it was more enjoyable. Walking around the areas near the gas station is a maze on it’s own.

Sounds and music fit perfectly in the game and it brings a spooky atmosphere; closing your eyes and just listening the sound makes you feel like you’re really there walking in those woods searching for clues and answers.

A lot of efforts went into the details and if you like reading and history you will enjoy the game a lot. I learned a lot about the place and I really hope I will be able to visit it one day and see the country where my great grandfather and grandmother were born. The story was very intriguing. The graphic are excellent. What I didn’t like much was that there was a lot of random events, which can put you on the side line for a while. That’s what happened to me in the first part of the game.

Image Image

Puzzle are mostly integrated into the story, but mixing all of the ingredients for the big finale was a pain in the &*?. I did enjoyed the tower puzzle; I like that kind of puzzle a lot.

There are not a lot of characters to talk to in this game except Ben and Emma. I got tired of seeing Emma and her same images on the phone. There are few interesting cutscenes in the game, but the ones that are there are very important.

After I was done with the game a few questions were unanswered and it was a bit irritating. The game was short but interesting and the end worth waiting for. Overall Matt did a very good job for his first game. Hope he will make another one in a the near future, but please, Matt, can we have a couple of scenes during daylight?

Minimum System Requirements For Barrow Hill:

Microsoft Windows 98/SE/ME/2000/XP
Pentium III 450 MHz or better Processor
128 MB RAM (512 MB Recommended for XP)
1x speed DVD-ROM drive or better
16MB SVGA Graphics Card or better with 32-Bit Colour
DirectX 9 Compatible Sound Card

CU

danyboy :)
trudysgarden

Postby trudysgarden » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:44 am

Good job DB. I thought that the atmosphere in this one was great - you're right about the sounds. Navigating was a pain for me at first - but it always is when I switch from a RPG or shooter to an adventure game. Here's hoping Matt's working on something really special for us in the near future!

happy trails,

Carolyn
danyboy

Postby danyboy » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:10 am

Hi guys,

Thanks Carolyn!

CU

Sophie
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Postby Sophie » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:38 pm

Thnk you DB.
Barrow Hill is definitely on my wish list

In the end, it doesn't matter how many breaths you take, but how many moments took your breath away...Anonymous
danyboy

Postby danyboy » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:01 pm

Hi guys,

You're welcome Sophie!

CU

draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:22 am

I'm glad you finally liked the game, danyboy! I know you were getting pretty frustrated in it for awhile.

I really liked the atmosphere in Barrow Hill. With my 17" LCD monitor I didn't have any trouble with the darkness of the scenes. Well, except on the forest path between the cave and the gas station. But it's one of my "keeper" games.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Katsmom
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Postby Katsmom » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:10 pm

I really liked Barrow Hill. I thought the creepy atmosphere was great. :shock: I was pleased that the "thing" was a true threat, and not just a teaser like in the Dark Fall games; and that the game creators give you a "second chance" when it gets you (as in the Nancy Drew games). :cool:

Danyboy, my suggestion came too late for you but might help someone else playing Barrow Hill. Save your game often -- not because you might die, but because random events happen in the game and you might want to see and hear them a second time. You can go back to the saved game and (usually) the event will occur again.
danyboy

Postby danyboy » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:25 am

Hi guys,

Thanks to the both of you.

CU

Return to “Review or Rate Games”