Ghosts Review

Read reviews or write your own, rate a game.
CaseSolver
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Ghosts Review

Postby CaseSolver » Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:50 pm

Hello All,

I've written a review for the infamous adventure game, Ghosts. I hope you all enjoy it. :)

GHOSTS Review
by CaseSolver

A year or two ago, I remember visiting Mystery Manor, not knowing much about adventure games. I had heard of Lighthouse, Amber, and most of the old classics, but I did not know many of the titles that I am now familiar with today. While browsing the Winecellar, a game called Ghosts caught my eye. I looked at the screenshots, and thought the game looked interesting. But I had no real plans to play it, and I didn’t know how hard it was to find. Just recently, I started a long list of games I wanted to collect and play. Ghosts was not even at the top of my list. But, one way or another, I was going to play it. I just happened to obtain a copy, by chance. I was lucky – and I had no idea what was in store for me. Though I’m not sure if I’ve seen all there is to see (and heard all there is to listen to) in Ghosts, I’m content. I will continue to go back to it again and again, I’m sure. Ghosts is not a regular adventure game. You don’t have to hunt endlessly for keys and solve puzzles. You can explore Ghosts at your own pace, with the help of the excellent actor and masterful storyteller, Christopher Lee.

The graphics are excellent, considering the game was made in 1994. I experienced no technical problems. The interface is incredibly simple, making for easy gameplay. The only distraction is that the screen is a bit small, and you can still see all the other windows that you have open at the bottom of the screen. The rest of it is black. But you forget about all of this because Ghosts is so immersive. Unlike Scratches and other horror games, this does not try too hard to be scary. It simply is. It’s not your typical “turn-the-lights-off, turn-the-volume-up” horror game. And I loved it because of that.

There is practically no music in the game, except for the opening title (a rather heart-pounding theme), and an enchanting music box that sounds much like a solemn funeral on a rainy day. Absolutely perfect for the game, isn’t it? Christopher Lee’s voice is almost music in itself…there’s something haunting about it. Christopher Lee’s stunning narrations of various stories, and descriptions of items, contribute to the overall scary feel of this amazing game. It’s not so much suspenseful as it is captivating…

Ghosts is in no way the game for you if you do not like to sit and listen. There are many videos to watch, and a good number of books to read. There are so many things to look at – up close – but not so many items to interact with. This makes for an incredibly detailed environment. However, there is a lot to listen to, and many photographs to examine. They are not necessary to “complete” the game, but why bother playing it if you want to ignore its whole point? Clicking on an object may or may not lead you to a fascinating story behind it all, narrated by Christopher Lee. This reminded me of The Twilight Zone. Though long, it holds your interest long enough to forget about the object you just clicked on, upon which the story is based. After finishing the story, you are suddenly taken back to the object, and are at first surprised by it, but then you remember it and see it in a whole new light, because you have just learn of its history. Very creepy…

The interesting thing about it is that, aside from Christopher Lee’s fictitious character Dr. Marcus Grimalkin, most of the researchers and experts interviewed are real people. You will hear actual accounts of ordinary people who have experienced the extraordinary. You will see regular photos with peculiar and haunting properties… And you will have to decide for yourself whether the stories are fact, or fiction.

My Conclusion
Ghosts is aimed at a very specific audience. You’ll either love it or dislike it – though I suspect most serious gamers out there will like it or love it. Ghosts is like an interactive storybook. It is not so much an adventure game as it is a virtual encyclopedia of the supernatural. Are you interested in ghosts? Do you have tons of ghost tales, haunted directories, and collections of “true” ghost stories scattered around your bookcase? Do you love adventure games? If the answer to these questions is yes, you’ll love Ghosts. Ghosts has it all. It is both a game and a collection of interesting stories, spiced up with the tasteful narration of Christopher Lee. There is a lot to learn from this game. Good luck finding it, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

One last word: I will admit to quickly putting down most games that don’t catch my interest right away. This was not so with Ghosts. I kept at it, and I must say, I personally found this game to be very interesting. It will give you the chills every time you play it. Something as normal as the door closing behind you as you exit a room can give you the creeps. I’m not easily frightened, but even that scared me. I guess that’s part of the magic of Ghosts. So, do you dare find out what’s in store for you? You don’t know what you’re missing out on if you don’t play Ghosts. This game is a true classic, and should not be overlooked in any way.
All Time Low <3
Ghostlady
Mistress of the Manor
Mistress of the Manor
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Ghostlady » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:27 pm

Casesolver, I put your review up in the Conservatory.

http://mysterymanor.net/reviewsghosts.htm

It is a good review and I agree with it all. Ghosts is a very different type of game and may not be for all. I enjoyed it when I played it.
Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again...
CaseSolver
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Postby CaseSolver » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:26 pm

Thank you, GL! :D

Yes, I really liked the game. I hope others can benefit from this review. People who have or haven't played it will learn a bit about my thoughts on it.
All Time Low <3
trudysgarden

Postby trudysgarden » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:36 pm

I don't know if I'll ever play this game but your review was informative, interesting and well written. Thanks! What kind of system did you play it on? XP?

happy trails,

Carolyn
CaseSolver
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Postby CaseSolver » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:29 pm

I hope you get to play it one day! And thanks! I especially wanted to write a review for this game, because not many people get to play it. For those that have, I hope they enjoy it.

I played it on XP perfectly. No problems. All I did was put it in the CD-rom drive, went to My Computer, clicked the icon for it, installed it, and played it. Haven't finished it (there's so much to see), but I know that I already love it. :D
All Time Low <3
junebug
Restless Spirit
Restless Spirit

Postby junebug » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:33 pm

Hi - I'm new to your forum but not to your site. I have been keeping my eye out for "Ghosts" for a year or so - I was wondering...is there a publisher to this game. I thought it might help the search. Thanks for any info! (What a teaser this is :wink: )

June
GreyFuss
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby GreyFuss » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:42 pm

Hello Junebug and Welcome to the Manor

This is an older game I think. Are you trying to find someone selling this game. Did you know we have quite a few screen shots of Ghosts in the Wine Cellar here at Mystery Manor? Check them out here.

I did manage to dig up some information:

Genre: Adventure

Developer: Media Design Interactive

Publisher: Sony Interactive

Released: 1994

PC Requirements: Processor 486 or better up to and including Win XP, 246 color/16 and 24 bit color, single speed CD Rom
junebug
Restless Spirit
Restless Spirit

Postby junebug » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:15 am

Thanks so much for your reply. Maybe I'll come across a used copy someday. I've been hunting (haunting?) the internet for this game every once in awhile with no success. I saw the screen shots and it looks like my kind of game.

Thanks again for the info!
GreyFuss
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby GreyFuss » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:26 am

Junebug
This must be a very rare game to find. I checked out Amazon.com and check out theses prices from their independent dealers Ghosts for sale.
Hope you find it a little cheaper.
Last edited by GreyFuss on Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
danyboy
Diabolically Devilish Moderator
Zodiac: Aquarius

Postby danyboy » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:30 am

Thanks for the review CaseSolver! GF, Ang had one and I bought it from her :D

CU

danyboy :)
GreyFuss
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby GreyFuss » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:42 am

Danyboy
You might owe Ang more money after shes see that link, :lol:
danyboy
Diabolically Devilish Moderator
Zodiac: Aquarius

Postby danyboy » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:49 am

So don't tell her :lol:

CU

danyboy :)
junebug
Restless Spirit
Restless Spirit

Postby junebug » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:38 am

Hah! Well, I guess there are still some out there :eek:
CaseSolver
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Postby CaseSolver » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:50 pm

Welcome to Mystery Manor, junebug! I do hope you'll sign our Guestbook. :D

I won mine on eBay. It was scary. I had just begun bidding on eBay, and I just happened upon it. I was looking for the game a bit...but I can't say I had been hunting for it for a year. I feel kind of bad that so many people are looking for it and I got it by chance one day. One was sold on eBay about a week or two ago. It was the British version. It went for about $15 + shipping from the UK. That's about how much mine was, except I got the American version. Those are the only two I've seen on eBay for awhile. There's a review on Quandaryland if you want to check that out.

There are two on GameTZ, one just popped up the other day: click here. Also, as DB mentioned, there are some on Amazon, but those people are ripping you off big time. There was one for Mac for $15 but it sold real quickly. I'm obsessed with this game, so that's why I've given you so much info.

And thanks for the compliment, DB! :D

Happy Game Hunting, junebug. I hope you find it. :)
All Time Low <3
junebug
Restless Spirit
Restless Spirit

Postby junebug » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:31 pm

Casesolver, thanks for your tip on GameTZ. Although I've never done anything with this site, I decided to try to make an offer and...it was accepted! My $ (plus a copy of an old game "Dagger of Amon Ra") are on route to UK so hopefully I will receive Ghosts in the next week or two.

I'm not scared of Ebay since I used it often. But I was a little leary of GameTZ, because for the most part, I don't like to let go of my games. I should just get over it, since there are only a few that I have played a second or third time. In the meantime, I've got games stashed everywhere :lol:

Anyway, once I realized that you didn't necessarily have to trade a game and could just "trade cash", I felt better about using the site.

Thanks again.

Return to “Review or Rate Games”