Thoughts on Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened

Read reviews or write your own, rate a game.
GreyFuss
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Thoughts on Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened

Postby GreyFuss » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:33 pm

My Thoughts On: Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened

First off let me inform you that I don’t do this very often. I am sure these thoughts will not be as professionally written as most you are used too. Nor are they meant to sway your preconceived opinion of this game. I just felt compelled to let you know how I felt during game play.

So lets get started with a brief description of Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened.............

Incarnate the greatest detective in a terrifying adventure bordering on the supernatural. Assisted by your loyal friend, Doctor Watson, you must investigate a series of strange disappearances. The discovery of grisly clues will quickly show that behind these disappearances lies a strange and disturbing sect which worships the god Cthulhu.
The meeting of Sherlock Holmes with the myth of Cthulhu results in a surprising confrontation between the rational and the supernatural. Throughout the investigation you will see your own logic bandied about until the final unraveling, in the purest style of Conan Doyle.
(From the games box cover)

Warning: This game has plenty of death, blood and dismembered bodies.

My thoughts: It has been quite a while since I have played a game that has good points in all aspects of an Adventure Game. A lot of the games that have come out lately seem to be missing several key features or have dummed the game play down. Whether that be poor graphics, poor voice overs, poor game play, poor dialogue, poor controls, poor puzzles or are buggy with a story that just doesn’t come together they have missed the mark.

Lets go over the features of The Awakened.

*Graphics: You are playing Sherlock with a first person view. There are a few times in the game that you will switch to playing Watson but for the most part you are the famed detective. Graphics are very well done and are 3D. The game characters have realistic facial features and the cut scenes are good. There are Loading Screens but they are kept at the beginning of a new chapter.

*Controls: Game controls are fantastic for a 3D game. Totally Mouse controlled or you can set up to use keyboard or both. I prefer Mouse only but in one part of the game you need to crouch and for that I had to press a key that I programed myself. The in game Menu is accessed by the ESC key. There you can Save (unlimited), Load, adjust 5 different Volumes, adjust 12 different Graphic Settings and Mouse and Camera sensitivities. Move your Mouse in the direction you want to go and left click and hold to walk. Double left click and hold to run. Right click and Sherlocks 5 part Portfolio opens, where your Inventory, All Dialogues, Documents you pick up, Reports from you investigations and a Map. Yes a map. You don’t have that much walking around aimlessly in this game but the Map does come in Handy occasionally.

*Voices and Dialogues: Fantastic. Holmes and Watson are perfect. There were a couple characters that had some accents that made it hard for me to follow what they said. Thank goodness for Holmes Portfolio as you can just right click and read what they said.

*Puzzles and Game Play: There is NO timed sequences, NO mazes, NO sliders, NO arcade, NO fighting, NO stealth, there are however a couple places where you have to avoid people that could mean a capture and have to start again at the same place, but its simple to avoid as long as you think Logically, as Holmes would. The game is Linear but at every turn, you (Holmes) and Watson are faced with another conundrum to solve. There are many, one after another, all solved with logic, your Inventory, Documents and Reports that you have on you. All the puzzles seamlessly flowed with the story. Just like Holmes you have to watch and absorb everything around you. Those of you who played the Silver Earring are asking “Does it have the long Quiz after each Chapter?”. Well yes and no. Gone is the long list of Questions, it is replaced by a One Question that you have to answer to continue on to the next Chapter. There are about 5 of these I think, all answered with just a little thought and the use of your Portfolio. All except one............I had to resort to a hints forum for one answer as I could not find any clues or hints in the game to figure it out. I will let you figure out which one.

*The Story: Ah, Very good and somewhat original. The story moved so smoothly, you were never stranded. Just like Holmes you have a job to do and you are not distracted.

*Bugs: None whatsoever. The game ran perfectly. For this imported English Version there is a Patch to load before you start playing.

Summary:
It has been a while since I have felt like I was in a game and what I did was determining the outcome. I truly felt like I was Sherlock Holmes. Because it was I solving the mystery’s along the way. As a matter of fact at one point when playing Watson I actually felt like I was a Bumbling Fool for what I made him do until I figured out the obvious. Again and again the game gave you challenges right up to the end.
At my guess I had twenty plus hours of enjoyment with this game.

I am sure that soon there will be Walkthroughs posted on the Internet for this game but I urge you to avoid them. Wrap yourself in the character of Sherlock Holmes and use your mind to deduce the facts, you will enjoy the experience so much more. After all its..........................

Elementary My Dear Watson!

Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened Official Web Site
Link for the Patch
German Demo
Trailer
Last edited by GreyFuss on Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Angelfire
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Postby Angelfire » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:38 pm

Thank you - I was hoping this one would be better than the last. Now I will have to play it!
danyboy
Diabolically Devilish Moderator
Zodiac: Aquarius

Postby danyboy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:55 pm

Nice review GF, thanks!

CU

danyboy :)
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:46 am

Fantastic review GF!! You have really made me feel like I want to play the game NOW!!! Definitely sounds like my cup of tea!
:)
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:04 am

I for one throroughly enjoyed your comments, GreyFuss. I would SO much rather read about an actual playerr's thoughts and impressions than a professional review. Nicely done! I've never been attracted to these games, but now I may have to rethink that!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Ang
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby Ang » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:45 am

Thanks GF..Very well done. I am looking forward to this one.
trudysgarden

Postby trudysgarden » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:54 am

Thanks GreyFuss and good job. I haven't been buying recently released games for awhile now because they've seemed so disappointingly bland. I think I'll break down and buy this one thanks to your comments.

happy trails,

Carolyn
GreyFuss
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby GreyFuss » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:06 am

I forgot to mention a most amusing small part of the game. When you play The Awakened see if you recognize another Famous Detective. Like Sherlock, you must pay attention to details or you might miss it.

Minimum configuration required (updated) : OS: Microsoft Windows 2000/XP
Processor: Pentium III 1.3 GHz or higher
Memory: 512 MB RAM
Graphics card: 64 MB Microsoft DirectX 9 compatible
Sound card: DirectX 9 compatible
DVD-ROM: 4x DVD drive
Hard-Disk: 3 GB free disk space
Keyboard and mouse 100% Windows compatible
Ghostlady
Mistress of the Manor
Mistress of the Manor
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Ghostlady » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:34 pm

Nice review GreyFuss. Can I put it in the Conservatory?
Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again...
GreyFuss
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby GreyFuss » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:54 am

I am sorry Ghostlady. I completely missed your post above.
I don't think my meanderings are worthy of the Conservatory but if you do, then yes.
Ghostlady
Mistress of the Manor
Mistress of the Manor
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Ghostlady » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:20 pm

Hey Greyfuss,

Your meanderings that I thought worthy, are now in the Conservatory. I am sure other people will find their value also. :D
Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again...

Return to “Review or Rate Games”