Destination: Treasure Island - A Quick Review

Read reviews or write your own, rate a game.
GreyFuss
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Destination: Treasure Island - A Quick Review

Postby GreyFuss » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:15 pm

Destination: Treasure Island, A Quick Review

Four years have passed since Long John Silver escaped and nobody knows what has become of him; neither the King’s justice, who has a price on his head, nor the young Jim Hawkins, his fellow adventurer. One evening, however, Jim Hawkins is surprised to find Long Johns parrot perched at his window. The bird has brought a message from its master. The old pirate has left Jim a fantastic treasure chest hidden somewhere on Emerald Island. A map and a mysterious enigma indicate the whereabouts of the booty. But Jim can’t hang around: Long John’s old accomplices are probably already on the trail.

Avast Matey! So you be after me treasure be ye? Aye and thar shall be the adventure ye seeks.

First I must say that I did enjoy playing Destination: Treasure Island. Lets get to some of the preliminary game statistics:

There is no fighting, no action, no stealth, no timed puzzles, no sound puzzles and you won’t die.

Did you play ‘Return to Mysterious Island’? It is exactly the same game play. Same Inventory with the ability to combine several items, same controls (right & left mouse clicks), unlimited saves, and same comic book style drawings instead of cut scenes.

Graphics were very good as was the voice acting. Except for that darn parrot that I couldn’t understand. It was a good thing that he was just repeating the enigma that Long John bestowed upon you. There are a handful of characters to interact with but for the most part you are on your own in a first person perspective. There is a map that will zip you from place to place once you have visited them, but Emerald Island is not very big to begin with. The game ran flawlessly. No bugs, shudders or shakes.

The story is quite original and made easy to follow by completing the tasks that are in Long Johns enigma. This enigma that is placed on you, Jim Hawkins, will guide you through the whole story. As you complete the “tests” that Long John has set for you, they are conveniently crossed off the list so you always know what you have to do next. Even though the plot might be somewhat dramatic, the story comes off as a bit whimsical.

**This would be a great starter game for a newcomer to the Adventure genre. Its pretty to look at, easy to understand, the story flows, it runs without a hitch and the controls are simple. My guess, in the neighborhood of 20 hours for the novice to complete.

**For the average Adventure game player this game will be fun and challenging. You certainly wont need a walkthrough. For the most part the puzzles are not all that difficult and you are helped along with comments from Jim or consulting the enigma which is accessible in the inventory (right click). I just don’t understand why developers lately try to make their puzzles interesting and challenging only to tell the gamer what they have done wrong or what they should do next. I guess they don’t expect us to think for ourselves. There are a couple of good puzzles near the end of the game that you are pretty much on your own. My guess, 10 to 15 hours for the average gamer.

**For the experienced Adventure gamer however, Destination: Treasure Island is very short. Now I am not the smartest gamer in the world but by my estimation it took me just about seven hours to complete the game. I do have to mention that I had the benefit of completing the French Demo which sped me through the first part of the game. My guess, 10 hours for an experienced gamer.

No matter what, the one thing you will have, is fun playing Destination: Treasure Island. You just might get a kick out of it.

“Fifteen men on a dead mans chest–Yo-Ho-Ho and a bottle of rum”
There is a Treasure Chest full of pictures in the Wine Cellar
Want to learn more? Check Out The Web Site
See how it feels? Play the French Demo
Download the Trailer? English Trailer (click on Bonus, bottom of page)
Last edited by GreyFuss on Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:49 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Tichelle
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Tichelle » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:04 am

Thanks GreyFuss.

This is a good quick review. I think I want to play this game.

Of course, I always like a good treasure hunt. And piratey talk at that.

Arrggg me matey, good show and all that!
(Wants to move to Hershey, PA.)
sierramindy
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Postby sierramindy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:27 pm

Hey there, GreyFuss,
Ah yes, 15 men on a dead man's chest always conjures up a picture for me of this dead man on a beach with 15 men trying to stand on his chest. This is what my child's mind saw when I tried to read the book by Robert Louis Stevenson and was too young for it. That's where I stopped reading it and went to a book closer to my age, "Heidi" which was just right for a 7- or 8-year-old little girl. I did read the book when I was older, about 12 or 13 and enjoyed it very, very much.
Hm, maybe I will get this game after all, even though I have sworn off first-person games.
They say to take things as they come, but who can handle them that fast?
GreyFuss
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby GreyFuss » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:52 pm

Sierramindy
Quite a story on how the young human mind works.
Why don't you try the Demo? Even though it is in French you will at least get to see what it looks and feels like.
Ang
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby Ang » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:59 pm

Tichelle wrote:Arrggg me matey, good show and all that!

Lmao..you crack me up.
floridagal
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby floridagal » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:38 am

OK now where can you buy it?
floridagal
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with catsup.
GreyFuss
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby GreyFuss » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:50 am

Floridagal

My favorite place is InteractCD for $34.95

My 2nd favorite place GoGamer.com $39.90

Both Online Retailers are very reasonable on shipping and I give InteractCD an edge in speed.
Ang
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby Ang » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:09 pm

GF..Good choices. Those are my 2 favorite places also. :)
GreyFuss
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby GreyFuss » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:14 pm

:lol: Ang
I heard that these retailers get most of their games from you. :wink:
danyboy
Diabolically Devilish Moderator
Zodiac: Aquarius

Postby danyboy » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:29 pm

Excellent review GF, it wont be long before we will need to extend the conservatory to put all the nice reviews everyone is writing.

CU

danyboy :)
GreyFuss
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby GreyFuss » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:33 pm

Thanks Danyboy and since you are so handy with remodeling your just the right man for the job.
Ang
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby Ang » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:57 pm

GreyFuss wrote::lol: Ang
I heard that these retailers get most of their games from you. :wink:

Hey...that was to be a secret! Ok..who caved? Geesh! :neutral:
trudysgarden

Postby trudysgarden » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:08 am

Hey GreyFuss I want to give you an A on your review style. Short, comprehensive and everything I would ask about is included - especially the links at the end. Now the only question is what kind of rig you played it on.

Aside from that I think this game sounds like fun. I haven't played any adventure games in months now, but I'm starting to have a little interest in some thanks to your reviews and previews.

I agree about Interact! Why don't you whiz kids in the office get a link put up here somewhere so we can all benefit? Dave is a very personable guy and any time I've contacted him he's gotten back to me right away with suggestions and a plan B. You don't find that kind of service anymore anywhere.

Thanks again for this and your many other reviews GF.

happy trails,

Carolyn
Ghostlady
Mistress of the Manor
Mistress of the Manor
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Ghostlady » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:16 am

I am working with Interact right now about adding a link from this site. GF clued me in yesterday about their "partnering" option.
Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again...
Fairygdmther
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Postby Fairygdmther » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:37 am

Great! If we could order and have you get the credit, that would be terrific! I just prefer not to do it and have any money go to JA+.

Return to “Review or Rate Games”