Amber: Journeys Beyond

Read reviews or write your own, rate a game.
Andromus
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Amber: Journeys Beyond

Postby Andromus » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:29 pm

There are occasions when an adventure game works for me even when to all appearances it shouldn't. Games like Syberia or Amerzone, that shouldn't in theory appeal to me being fairly short, overly easy, and weak puzzle wise. But those two games have an almost indescribable something, a certain charm or magic in their design that won me over.

So it was with Amber. It's very short and incredibly easy. But it had that special something that drew me in. The creative design behind the various eras you experience astrally, for example, is very well done, and the task of uncovering the story behind each ghost and helping them turned out to be very interesting, captivating even. And although they were used rather simplistically here, I always enjoy when adventure games give you gadgets to help you out.

I was sorry to see it end so soon. I assumed that the house would be bigger, and was disappointed to find a relatively small amount of rooms. No basement or attic, either. What kind of old house doesn't have a basement and attic to explore? (Though come to think of it, I probably have had my fill of exploring basements for a long, long time, thanks to Scratches.) :shock:

At any rate, I'd like to find room to squeeze it into my top 20 next time I make up one of those lists. It was an enjoyable little romp, and the best adventure game I've played so far this year. I even went scurrying out to Moby Games to see what else Hue Forest might have produced. Nothing, unfortunately. Hue Forest was created specifically to produce Amber, and nothing else. Yet another game developer to produce only one adventure game and make one wonder what else they might have produced had things been different.
"Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”

-- Bilbo Baggins
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:09 am

Nice review - thanks!! Will certainly add this to my list of games to play! :)
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:47 am

Indeed, a wonderful little game. However, it is one of those that WILL NOT play on XP. A few have gone through Herculaean efforts and have succeeded, but for the rest of us, it's on Inferno's list of "no way Jose."
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:16 pm

This one has been in my top 20 for a long time, Andromus. I thought the puzzles were decent and a couple of them challenging (radio, changing time, learning how to use equipment). You're right about it being too short. I wish they had added just one more journey to the mix.
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:31 pm

I played this a long time ago - the one outstanding thing I remember about the game was it was way too short!
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
danyboy
Diabolically Devilish Moderator
Zodiac: Aquarius

Postby danyboy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:04 pm

Hi guys,

Nice review Andromus, thanks!

CU

danyboy :)
I want to break free from your lies
You're so self satisfied,
I don't need you
Zach055