Culpa Innata Preview

Read reviews or write your own, rate a game.
danyboy
Diabolically Devilish Moderator
Zodiac: Aquarius

Culpa Innata Preview

Postby danyboy » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:19 pm

Commitment to the Union, a very active sex life with multiple partners, a hidden secret organization, and the Mafia are only a few of the things you will experience in this game along with shopping, gossiping, clubbing, murder, deception, betrayal, addiction, and lies. Nothing is boring in the world of the Union and nothing is as simple as it seems.

This is a third person adventure game where you play the role of the young Peace Officer Phoenix Wallis who is investigating the Bogdanov's murder that occurred in the Rogue State. Her investigation will lead her to investigate people from her own city Adrianopolis. At first I wasn’t sure that the game would please me - a futuristic police investigation is not really my cup of tea - but I changed my mind during the gameplay. The story was good enough to make me want to go further and Bogdanov's murder is only an introduction to a much more complicated story.

There are a lot places to visit (near 40 locations) and many people to talk to. You will be able to gossip often with your friend Alessandra during the gameplay and some of that gossip is quite entertaining. Another interesting part of the game, for you ladies, is that you will be able to choose different clothes to wear before going out at night.

Please note that there is quite a bit of sex talk during the gameplay and a couple of sex scenes but nothing really shocking.

There aren't any action sequences in the game. Culpa Innata is a point and click adventure game. The camera angles are difficult to deal with sometimes; they won’t show you easily what needs to be shown. The inventory is easy to use; you click on the object and you choose to see or to use it. In the game there isn’t a lot of pixel hunting, and the game has a mix of non-linear and linear gameplay.

Image Image

It will take you a while to get used to the PA or Phoenix computer but when you do you'll find they’re a big help. Another interesting aspect of the game is the PA diary. Things that you need to do are written in red so it’s a big help to see what your next moves will be. You also will have a map to guide you which has an interesting feature. When you no longer have things to do in a location, the place becomes grey on the map and you won't have to bother going there anymore.

The game has a very interesting assortment of puzzles, both easy and very challenging ones. Most are inventory-based or logic puzzles and you will also need to get use to the high-tech PA and Phoenix’s computer as they will both be a big help in this game. Usually I have a lot of success with lock picking puzzles, but I got stuck on one in the first few minutes of the game which was a little frustrating. The other puzzles were fun to do, including one with a Rubik’s cube and another concerning an electric control panel. Working with 3D to reconstruct images was very interesting and I really enjoyed an unusual door puzzle. The variety of the puzzles is a strength in this game.

The graphics are a bit rough. I do wish they had taken the time to polish them a little bit more before releasing the game, although some places are well done and colourful. The child development center is very beautiful. (I would send my kids there any time.) The developer also took care to make the characters’ facial expressions as realistic as they can be.

The music won’t stay on your mind after playing the game - you won't sing it in your shower later at night - but it’s enjoyable, and it fits the style of the game well.

Image Image

The dialogue box gives you the option to direct the conversation the way you want, but you need to be careful of what you’re choosing or the dialogue will end, forcing you to come back another time to finish the discussion. Also, be careful if you usually skip some dialogue in a game. I did that once and missed an important piece of information about a destination, so I had to replay that part. Some of the voices of the game’s characters are a bit annoying, but the voice of the character we’re playing is well chosen and fits the character well.

I didn’t encounter any bugs, although the game isn’t very ALT/TAB friendly. A very interesting fact is that after installation, the game is playable without the cd.

I liked the game, even with the negative points I discussed previously. You need to remember that this is the first adventure game from this developer and I think the way they make their games will only improve with time. The suspense was good; walking at night in the city was scary because it was very dark and lonely. The game was a decent and smooth-flowing futuristic police investigation. The PA and the computer were helpful and fun to use. I didn’t predict the ending of the game and was quite surprised by it. The developer left room for a possible sequel with two mysteries still needing to be solved. On the whole, it was an excellent story with several mysteries, interesting characters to encounter, and some very enjoyable puzzles.

Image Image

Computer Specifications:

Minimal requirements:

Windows 2000, XP, Vista
Intel Pentium III 800 MHz, AMD Athlon XP1600+
512 MB System RAM
128 MB Video Card
DirectX 9.0c
Windows Compatible Sound Card
3.5 Gb free hard drive space
DVD Player

Recommended Configuration:

Windows 2000, XP, Vista
Intel Pentium IV 3.0 GHz, AMD Athlon 64 3700+
1024 MB System RAM
512 MB video Card
DirectX 9.0c
Windows Compatible Sound Card
3.5 Gb free hard drive space
DVD Player

My computer specifications:

Windows XP
RAM: 1024 MB
Sound: Onboard Sound Controller
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache
CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 3.00 GHz Processor
Disk Space : 16.63 GB
DirectX 9.0c

Official Website:

Culpa Innata

Culpa Innata Trailers

Daniel (aka danyboy)

Thank you to Ghostlady, Draclvr, Hawkavonpuka, LadyK and Angelfire for the help they gave me.
Last edited by danyboy on Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:19 am, edited 6 times in total.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:03 pm

Nice preview, danyboy. We try to help, but still make sure your "French Brain" doesn't get lost in the translation!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
danyboy

Postby danyboy » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:58 am

Thanks Drac, My French Brain is happy with the result.

CU

danyboy :)
Ang
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby Ang » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:09 am

Hi DB..Great preview and screens. It was very helpful.I have it installed and I wasn't sure when I was going to play it but now it looks to be next. Thanks. :)
danyboy

Postby danyboy » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:09 pm

It might take you a while to really get into it. Stick on it when the story begin to take form, it's more interesting. There's also a lot of talking, what I forgot to write in my preview.

CU

danyboy :)

Return to “Review or Rate Games”