Cape Town fires continue ...

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Cape Town fires continue ...

Postby Val » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:02 am

Really couldn't post this on favorite videos but this video and the song captures so much of what is happening to us since Sunday. The last shot especially tells the tale of what was and what now is. Our magnificent proteas and fynbos will eventually grow back to their original glory and then there will be some carelessness in 10 odd years time to start the whole process all over again. Nature has its way of recovering.

This one has been particularly bad, though, because of wind and heat conditions. A tsunami of a fire storm. Most of the wild animals feel the danger and survive - only the poor tortoises are hit pretty bad. Hundreds have been rescued though. The baboons head downwards and will scamper back as soon as the fire is out - those exposed bulbs will make good eating.

Anyrate my heart is pretty sore at the moment - doors and windows closed due to the ash around but I am well away from any danger.
My brother and his wife moved last week to a house on the last road up on the mountain around Simonstown but fortunately for them the fire started half way through the Peninsula range of mountains.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khx6N-HTVUU&feature=youtube_gdata_player&app=desktop
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Re: Cape Town fires continue ...

Postby LadyKestrel » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:20 am

That's a very moving video, Val. I'm glad you and your family are okay.

I live near the pine barrens here in NJ, and the pygmy pitch pines and other species depend on fires to reproduce. Fortunately, development is strictly controlled in the area, so people are rarely in danger.
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:29 pm

I hate hearing about forest fires as my thoughts go to the animals and birds trapped in its path. Let's hope this one is soon under control.
StarLite
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Leo

Postby StarLite » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:23 am

I agree Diat, I hate forest fires too. They say it's good for the trees although I don't see how since they're no more. Such a waste really :flower:
Be thankful for the dawn of the coming day - Lisle Engle

StarLite Moon's Creators Haven
http://starlite-moon.freeforums.net/

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”