PCs down

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
The Black Dahlia
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

PCs down

Postby The Black Dahlia » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:55 am

help help anyone - can give this message out for anyone that may be able to suggest anything. Have two PCs which tech has set so i would not have to use a Password. Now both PCs have jumped back to demanding PWs.

Have been almost a week without PCs as tech has not been able to come until tomorow. Am very concerned about the banking on my PC because within last year two of my health providers have been hacked and all our health records have been sent everywhere was told. Have been given ID protection but without my PCs cannot even find out what is going on nor access any email. Was able to access email on laptop but now that is gone.

Has anyone ever experienced such in using their MS based PCs? This will be the 3 or 4th time my PCs have tried to by pass MS use of PWs when logging on and they have suddenly jumped back to demanding PWs. Have yet to figure out if it is something I am doing wrong.

would appreciate any feedback i can get since now this is the only way i can communicate any longer since my laptop is now down re email entirely. If i were not such a meticulous, organized person who keeps all PWs on paper besides on PCs, could understand but when try to use them - constantly get message the PW is not legit. Hugely frustrating. Again appreciate any feedback. there is no way to notify me when you post so will just have to keep returning to read any ideas anyone might have. Just thanking my luck stars that the MM site did not refuse this PW i use here.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: PCs down

Postby draclvr » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:51 pm

Yay, you're here! As I told you in my last email to your Gmail account, there is absolutely nothing anyone can do from a distance for an issue like this. You are also fine with your security and banking issues. That ID protection only sends out emails once a month unless there has been activity and the chances are slim and none if it hasn't happened yet. Both Dave and I have the exact same same thing as you do and I'm not particularly worried at this point. You are protected.

THIS TIME when Juan gets there, write down what he thinks has happened and how he is going to resolve it. This might be something I can help walk you through and it might not be. But see if you can find out what is causing it and how to fix it without having to call him out every time. This is very puzzling to me, but nothing I could resolve unless I was sitting in front of the computer - and maybe not even then. You KNOW what your Windows Live password is, so why it is not being accepted is a mystery.

You have internet access, so you are not without contact. And while you are not receiving email on your pdcagirl email account, you ARE receiving email at your Gmail account as that is not tied to your ISP.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
The Black Dahlia
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby The Black Dahlia » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:49 pm

understand all you are saying and it is a wonder because being so organized am thoroughly scattered now so much so thought today was Sunday and nearly missed a dr. appt. My laptop is on a small card table and so everything is different re use which just messes me up more - not used to this routine here. much less typing on such a restricted keyboard not my split keyboard is a royal hassle. not only that but i do not have nearly all the info on my lap top that is needed in times like this - am only using the laptop as a backup for desktop. At that had to retype the password several times when getting on MM - now why? for a moment thought 'here we go again'. Same old message password and user name do not match. No checked the caps key, resorted to one finger typing to be sure 2 keys were not clicked, and sometimes still get the message UN and PW do not match.

That rings a bell because with my phone service I often have to dial 2 - 3 times before I can get my phone to ring. Now why? Well, will be interesting to see when i get a landline put in, how the phone service goes. though what the phone has to do with the PCs i cannot phantom.
When you see old people, don't pass them by. Stop to relate. They're really young people who have just been around a long time.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:48 pm

I'm sure one thing is not related to the other.

You can easily resolve your issues with using the laptop by putting it up on a few books to raise it. Then just simply plug your ergo keyboard into the laptop and use it instead of the laptop keyboard. I used to do that all the time with my work laptop.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
The Black Dahlia
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby The Black Dahlia » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:03 pm

understand what you are saying but that arrangement puts the monitor too far away for me to see comfortably. So i bring the PC to edge of table where viewing the monitor is comfortable and then put the split keyboard on my lap. Not the best way but will have to do for now. Juan comes tomorrow thank the good lord! Am trying the keyboard on top of the laptop keyboard. Not too bad of a way to do but a bit of a strain to type. Just want my keyboard back is all!

Anyone here use an apple PC? Anymore am beginning to find MS PCs and software getting more and more complicated to use or enjoy. I keep hearing from people who have Apple PCs how they enjoy them and avoid the hassles that MS PCs present. Who how true that is?
When you see old people, don't pass them by. Stop to relate. They're really young people who have just been around a long time.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:40 am

I'm a die-hard Mac user, BD, and found the old Apple operating system much more intuitive than Windows. However, the newer Intel Macs have grown more complex, and there's now quite a bit of crossover in style and available programs. In fact, Mac users are no longer the forgotten orphans of the gaming world because so many more games are being ported to OS X.
We lose ourselves in books and games. We find ourselves there, too.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:23 am

Just a thought, but the password for the computer should be the same one you use for Outlook or Hotmail.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:45 am

That's correct, Diat... It is the same password, but for some reason it's not being recognized. The same thing happened recently. This really has nothing to do with it being a Windows operating system - there is something going on "behind the scenes" here. Last time I asked BD what Juan said about WHY this happened and what he did to fix it, but she didn't know. THIS time I've asked that she take some notes and ask about why.

Since this has happened before and he didn't seem to fix it the first time, I'd be tempted to reinstall her Windows 8 operating system and start over. I've been running Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 for over 3 years and have never had any issues like this.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:26 am

I don't know if you have tried this, but, try just clicking cancel. My Win XP always asks for a password and if I put something in it, it says error, but, if I just click cancel and don't put anything in the space, it loads up. It is worth a try.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:42 am

She could try just pressing "enter," but I think Windows 8.1 is a bit more picky about that stuff than XP was!
The Black Dahlia
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby The Black Dahlia » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:01 pm

thanks so much for the added replies from you all but sad to say have tried the suggestions, worthy as they are, but as draclvr mentioned it is much deeper a problem than little fixes. i just wish i was doing something stupid so i could stop and all would be resolved. will be anxious for tech to find something definite that i can report back so we all can learn something. But troublesome as this has been complicated by my arthritic condition, never want to go through such again. so am listening with attentive ear to people who have apple PCs and their reports that they are much less troublesome to operate than MS systems and also their reliability is much better. Anyone here have anything to report re an experience with apple PCs?

I just know what with technology advancing at such a rapid pace that PCs are becoming much less easy for the common person to understand and use.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:32 pm

LadyK posted her experiences with Apple computers above.
The Black Dahlia
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby The Black Dahlia » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:16 pm

hmmmm so I guess you are saying Lady K. that I might not be any better off on a Mac than on MS PC? Plus would have to learn a whole new system? Was just telling draclvr that I know enough about PCs and their software to argue and make a fool of myself or annoy the heck out of people, particularly my tech I think, but am finding out new things I did not know everyday OR was misunderstanding whole concepts. Not a pleasant space to be in:)
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:51 am

My brother-in-law, not terribly computer savvy, moved from Windows to an iMac three years ago and is very pleased with it. He said it didn't take him long to learn to use it, but he did schedule a couple of classes with our local Apple store. If you have a chance to try one out before you buy, I recommend it, just to see if it appeals to you.

I'm going to buy a new iMac soon. All the Macs in my house work beautifully, including my little white laptop, called the Chiclet, which is 14 years old. I could upgrade the 5-year old iMac I'm using now, but I want to keep my databases and other older classic games and programs on it that won't transfer to the newer system. (There's always a trade-off when it comes to upgrades. Just ask anyone who loves Windows XP! )

By the way, I believe that Kickaha has a newer iMac than I do and can maybe give you a different perspective on it.
We lose ourselves in books and games. We find ourselves there, too.
The Black Dahlia
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby The Black Dahlia » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:02 pm

Thanks so much for added info re the Macs Lady K. As info comes to me via differing resources it sure is helpful to keep me on a level keel so I do not make any rash judgements. Your experiences have been very helpful for me and certainly trying one out before I make a final decision would be the thing to do.

Excuse any mistakes in my typing as am not using an Ergo keyboard and having a perfectly terrible time on the regular key board that goes with laptops.

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”