PCs down

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: PCs down

Postby draclvr » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:30 am

The iMacs are nothing short of gorgeous. My son has one that I use when I go out to visit them in Denver. Of course the operating system drives me completely nuts because I have Windows so ingrained in my brain synapses!

My problem with the iMacs is the integrated graphics and the inability to upgrade anything. There is nothing better for browsing, videos, content creation, video editing and playing low requirement games. The graphics integrated into the Intel chips is great for that and is really pretty decent. But even many of the newer adventure games are requiring stand alone video cards. Even if they had ported the wonderful Ethan Carter over to the Mac or if I had Parallels installed with a Windows operating system, the iMac still has an integrated video chip and I couldn't have played the game. The new Sherlock Holmes is another one that requires a stand alone video card. Even the new Nancy Drew games are either not playing at all or very poorly on integrated chips. And naturally my high end shooters and RPGs wouldn't have a prayer of playing on an iMac. And it just doesn't bear imagining that I couldn't play Witcher 2, Assassins of Kings and Witcher 3, The Wild Hunt!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
The Black Dahlia
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby The Black Dahlia » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:56 pm

hear what you are saying and if they do not play games well, i guess not for me either.
When you see old people, don't pass them by. Stop to relate. They're really young people who have just been around a long time.
The Black Dahlia
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby The Black Dahlia » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:02 pm

trying to send you a private message draclvr but can;t get your name added to my list - what am i not doing right?
When you see old people, don't pass them by. Stop to relate. They're really young people who have just been around a long time.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:22 pm

You don't need to add me to any list. Simply look at my post above yours and click on the blue PM at the bottom of the post.

As far as the Macs not playing games, you need to consider whether you would even WANT to play these games. If you are sticking to your Big Jig puzzles and the occasional casual game, you don't need anything more than the integrated graphics. I'm talking about high end shooters and RPGs and the higher end new adventure games. If you don't plan on getting any of these, then the iMac might still work for you if you decide to invest in one.

I still think once your get your old desktop set back up after the new OS installation and get it back to the way it was in the beginning, you will be fine. I have no idea what went on, but the reformat and reinstall would be been exactly the way I would have gone too.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
The Black Dahlia
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby The Black Dahlia » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:29 pm

i see the PM button and wait until you read one of my emails - will you still be saying the same thing - all will be OK?
After the format the PW demanding screen is back!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:22 am

What app is it that makes it come back?
skeeter
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Postby skeeter » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:08 am

LadyKestrel wrote:(There's always a trade-off when it comes to upgrades. Just ask anyone who loves Windows XP! )

XP, XP, how I love thee.... :lol:

Though I must admit Windows 7 is not as bad as I though it would be... :D

draclvr wrote:Even the new Nancy Drew games are either not playing at all or very poorly on integrated chips.

That's it... I'll never be getting an Imac :lol:
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues."
— Terry Pratchett
The Black Dahlia
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby The Black Dahlia » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:09 am

draclvr it is not an app i do not think just the demands of MS software as little as I know about companies and PCs. Not a biggie and am eager to see win 10 when it comes to see if MS still wants their own ID and PW account to get into Win 10. Not ever going to try to avoid that again if so - not a biggie thing for me to log in when I fire up the PC and avoid all the problems have had about this issue in the past.

and i guess everyone has their druthers re win versions. Me, I love the apps versions and now bemoan the fact that apps and icons are on two different screens. BUT BUT i hear that Win 10 addresses this issue! If so, then i am beside myself waiting until July 29 when win 10 is to come out. MS has finally caught up with my ideas - nothing like the nerve of boasting is there?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:17 am

You've always been able to pin apps from the Store on your taskbar. Well, not always... since the Windows 8.1 Update. You just can't pin them to the desktop.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Postby Kickaha » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:35 am

Not all iMacs use integrated graphics cards, and I find my iMac fine for the games I want to play. But the games you need to play Draclvr they demand more powerful hardware.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:08 am

Two of the iMacs do offer a stand alone video card, but they are the very low end 770M and 775M mobile graphics chips. They only have low wattage power supplies which greatly limits the options for good video cards. I think they are only 310 or 330 watts, but I'd have to look it up. Neither could be mistaken for a gaming computer. However, they are fabulous - and may I say again, beautiful! - computers for browsing, video editing, gaming that doesn't require a higher end video card and general computing.
Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby Jude » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:54 am

I'm a longtime Mac user, too. When I had to use Windows, I swore a lot! And was tempted to take a hammer to the computer! I can't guarantee that you'll like a Mac or that you won't have trouble getting used to one after using Windows, but I suggest going to an Apple store, if you can, and playing with them a bit to see.
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.wondrousuniverse.com
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:36 am

I think it's all what your brain is used to. I did the same thing when I had to use my son's iMac - I swore a lot! I found it very, very frustrating and couldn't wait to get back to my nice familiar Windows.
The Black Dahlia
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby The Black Dahlia » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:34 pm

right now so consumed with other issues of life, will have to put the idea of using a Mac on the back burner. Don't need added frustrations at this point:)
Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby Jude » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:02 pm

draclvr wrote:I think it's all what your brain is used to. I did the same thing when I had to use my son's iMac - I swore a lot! I found it very, very frustrating and couldn't wait to get back to my nice familiar Windows.

Not in my case. I used computers with Dos/Windows a lot before I got a Mac (although I had used Apple IIs for a short time in art school), and they had me believing that I hated computers! Getting a Mac was great for me, although nothing is perfect.
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.wondrousuniverse.com

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”