Pioneer Telephone scam?

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Pioneer Telephone scam?

Postby LadyKestrel » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:15 pm

I have unlimited long distance phone service with Comcast, so imagine my surprise today when I received a bill from Pioneer Telephone Co. for a long distance call I made to a friend in PA last week. It's a small bill of $1.52, but since I never signed up for anything with Pioneer, I decided to find out what's going on. The bill, by the way, had my late husband's name listed first.

I called Comcast first. My service with them hasn't changed, and they told me they have no contract nor connection with Pioneer. I then called Pioneer, and when I told the man who answered that they sent the bill to a dead man, the guy gave me a song and dance about the company buying out another company with old accounts from the 1980s. He then quickly told me that my account would be cancelled and the charge dropped. I don't think he told me the whole story, but I'm happy he took care of it so quickly.
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Pioneer Telephone scam?

Postby mbday630 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:58 pm

these scammers have me riled up lately too. I just found out on Sunday that our credit card was compromised. My hubby just went on a trip to Florida but has been back for 2 weeks. I got an email from the credit card company that somebody was using it in Miami on sunday and it looked suspicious. Luckily they caught it right away. It just seems like everyone is a thief nowadays. ticks me off.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:28 pm

The sad thing is that these scams obviously work and make money for the scammers. Otherwise they wouldn't bother.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:30 pm

I wish more restaurants would get those hand-held scanners that allow the card to be read and paid for right at the table.
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:02 pm

After getting our card compromised in a restaurant (the waitress took it "away" to be read) we now make a point of accompanying the wait person AND the card to the machine. And, no, this is not embarrassing.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby mbday630 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:10 am

I think that is a great idea and I am going to do that from now on.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:08 am

I actually had long distance service with Pioneer when I lived in Pennsylvania. They are a legitimate company and I never had an issue with them. Wonder if someone was masquerading as Pioneer. Hmmmm....

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”