Not Politics... Really!!!

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Not Politics... Really!!!

Postby draclvr » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:33 pm

This is just too rich not to share. It's not important whether you support this individual politically or not. It's just funny! A friend posted a picture on Facebook of a huge caterpillar which dropped from her sweet gum tree onto the deck and wondered what it was. I found it was the larval form of the Imperial Moth. But in my research, I entered "pictures caterpillar with yellow hairs" into the Google search engine. The results at the bottom of the page included a picture of a certain individual. I laughed so hard I nearly peed my pants!!!!! OF COURSE, I grabbed a screenshot! You just can't make stuff like this up!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
RCB
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Re: Not Politics... Really!!!

Postby RCB » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:22 pm

Interesting Drac.
I googled caterpillar with blond hair and found this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:26 pm

Ah yes, the hairy trumpus millipedius, a very rare species indeed. :D
There's no such thing as too many books!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:18 pm

There are some truly wonderful looking caterpillars out there. I hadn't expected to encounter the "hairy trumpus millipedius" due to it being a very rare species, as LadyK points out. I wonder what the mature form of this caterpillar is????
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:45 pm

I guess it turns into an ambitious butterfly anxious to spin a white house cocoon.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:56 pm

I don't think maturation happens with this type.
There's no such thing as too many books!
RCB
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby RCB » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:01 pm

Just to keep this accurate and on topic (I mean just caterpillars):

This puss caterpillar looks like you could reach out and pet it, but looks can be deceiving. Underneath that long, blond hair, venomous bristles hide. Even a molted skin can cause a serious skin reaction, so don't touch anything that looks like this caterpillar.
Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:12 pm

Ooo... good ones! I think LadyK is right though - maturation doesn't happen with this one. But RCB may have the best advice!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:06 am

Which type doesn't go through maturation? Drac's or RPG's? Or the one in the middle of the Google pics? Or all?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:52 am

I think LadyK was referring to the caterpillar in the middle of my search results for caterpillars with yellow hairs - the hairy trumpus millipedius. A mature form doesn't seem to exist.

I also found RCB's caterpillar in my searching. A very interesting creature which DOES mature into the flannel moth... which throws it's own poop away from itself. But this description of the the puss caterpillar as having a "toxic toupee" does make it easy to mix up with the hairy trumpus millipedius in my search results. Toxic Toupee - The Most Venomous Caterpillar in the US

Oh, the things you learn just by coming to Mystery Manor!
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Kickaha » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:01 pm

Nice one Draclvr - really off the wall! Often thought politicians belong in a bestiary.
RCB
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby RCB » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:03 pm

Well, seems like I've learned a lot. I never knew that a "caterpillar", esp. one with blond looking hair could hurt you more than an angry hornet or yellow jacket considering I live somewhat isolated out in the woods. Doubled with the fact that it can cast it own poop aside makes this truly a remarkable creature. I'll have to be more careful.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:03 am

I didn't either, RCB! Who knew that searching for a caterpillar with yellow hairs would take us on a journey of such proportions!
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:10 am

I think it was probably the "imperial"...although I don't think the Donald considers himself a moth.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:27 pm

Yes, I had definitely identified it as the larval form of the Imperial Moth. It was just so stinking funny to see The Donald's face in the middle of the search results!

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”