Wireless fence brand

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Wireless fence brand

Postby LadyKestrel » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:36 pm

My Houdini dogs have been getting out quite a bit lately. No matter what I do to shore up their escape routes, they seem to always find another. I've been looking online for wireless fences that don't require digging around the perimeter of the yard. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what brand to use?
There's no such thing as too many books!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Wireless fence brand

Postby draclvr » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:28 pm

Boy, I have no idea. I did find this dog fence review site which reviews them by wireless and in ground. Maybe it will help...

http://www.dogfencediy.com/wireless-dog-fence/
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Postby LadyKestrel » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:36 pm

Thanks, Drac. I don't really want to install it myself, especially if it requires digging. There is the Canine Company that does in-ground installations and will come to my area, so I may have them come to give me an estimate.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:18 pm

I don't blame you - I installed one myself and it was not an easy job.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
RCB
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby RCB » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:40 pm

I had THIS SYSTEM installed for Ruby. The machine digs the trench and lays the wire at the same time so it doesn't take very long. Also the trainer was quite good and it only took her two sessions to acclimate the dog.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Postby LadyKestrel » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:55 am

Thanks for the info, RCB. I found a DogWatch dealer about an hour away, and he'll be coming out this afternoon to give me an estimate.
RCB
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby RCB » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:21 pm

None of the underground systems are cheap. If I recall the entire package (hardware, wiring, training) was around $1200 for approx. 3/4 acre containment, half yard half woods. Almost two years have gone by and most of the flags are gone but the dog clearly understands (aside from 2-3 incidents crossing the line while walking the perimeter during the training phase) where she can and cannot go 100%. To make things as simple as possible there is just one area that we can walk through the boundary to gain access to all the walking trails in the woods.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Postby LadyKestrel » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:52 am

For the 2 dogs it'll cost $1500. Since I have an existing fence, he'll make a banana loop with the outbound and inbound wiring at the top and bottom of the fence. The only place he'll bury it is across the back gate, and there's a convenient outlet at the back of the garage where he can put the radio unit and bring the wires in. He's coming to do this on Friday.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:36 pm

Oh, good... I'm sure you will be relieved to have the escape artists "contained!"
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Postby LadyKestrel » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:16 pm

I will most definitely, Drac! I caught them again today. Radar made it into the neighbors' yard, under their fence, and down the street just an hour ago, but I got Zork just as he was crawling out. Radar saw me taking him in the house and followed right behind him. They're out in the yard again now, but my sister is working out there and will keep an eye on them.

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”