Happy Thanksgiving in the US!

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Happy Thanksgiving in the US!

Postby draclvr » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:20 am

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the US! It's just me and hubby and a 14 lb turkey and a couple bottles of wine - just the way we like it!

My step-daughter and I were sharing Thanksgiving memories when we were little. She remembered getting up early and driving out her Uncle's place in the country where she tried to stay out of the way of her aunts and her Grandma while they did a dance around the old wood cook stove cooking up a feast. She watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade on a tiny little black and white TV which is the only one that worked of the 3 or 4 of them stacked in the living room. After finally being thrown outside for being underfoot, they built hay forts in the barn waiting for that feast. Naps and walks in the woods after eating. And, especially remember making mad dashes in the cold out to the old outhouse!

I remembered going to my Grandma and Grandpa's house before they left for Texas for the winter. I'm from way up north in Iowa and it was always so, so very cold and there was always snow on the ground. The cousins played a game in the snow where we trudged out a big circle with spokes and a "safe" spot in the middle. I couldn't remember what we called it, but Mom remembered it was Fox and Goose. Sometimes I would go pheasant hunting with my cousins and we would walk through the frozen, snow-covered corn fields. Even up there they just don't have cold and snow by Thanksgiving like that any more.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Re: Happy Thanksgiving in the US!

Postby Val » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:35 am

Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends! Hope the table is groaning with masses of wonderful food and you all have a good time. I remember so well my one and only Thanksgiving with my American in-laws and just loved it. Arrived from SA on Thanksgiving morning and my daughter and I shared a room which was initially loaded with pies, pecan and pumpkin, but they were cleared by bedtime! :)
Enjoy! :)
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:15 pm

A Happy Thanksgiving to all our American friends here! Too bad our Thanksgiving was over last month, we now have a bit of snow to help with the festive mood. We'd ship you some if we could.
draclvr
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:34 pm

Gaaaa!!! No thank you - you just keep that "white crap" as my mother calls it up there!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
skeeter
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Postby skeeter » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:43 am

A belated Happy Thanksgiving to everyone :)
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues."
— Terry Pratchett

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”