Christmas Dinner

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Christmas Dinner

Postby draclvr » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:25 pm

What are you having for Christmas dinner?

My son and his family and Dave's son and his family come out here and they always request my home-made pizza for Christmas!

On another day during the holidays, just for Dave and me, I make a big standing rib roast coated with a coarse horseradish mustard, pure maple syrup and Montreal seasoning mixture. I roast potatoes, carrots, onions, turnips and garlic with olive oil and seasonings and make some Yorkshire Pudding. It's kind of a spectacle for just the two of us!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Re: Christmas Dinner

Postby JKEerie » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:55 pm

Now that Mom and I are together, I have the whole gang over Christmas Eve (13 of us). Last year I had slow cooked top round, pulled pork, loaded chicken and potatoes, plain chicken breast for the little guys, mac and cheese, cole slaw, and salad. My nieces and sister-in-law will bake cookies and desserts.

Then on Christmas Day, there will be 8 of us for dinner (possibly 9 if my nephew brings his girlfriend). I'll have roast beef, mashed potatoes, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower, and salad. My brothers and nephews are big eaters, so I'll have to have lots of beef!

I think for New Year's I may make a nice rib roast for Mom and I. I normally do pork and sauerkraut for New Years, but we actually have that quite frequently, so I'm thinking of the rib roast this year. I'm thinking baked potatoes, carrots and asparagus as accompaniments.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:02 pm

Sounds like you do as much cooking as I do sometimes! Please post that recipe for loaded chicken and potatoes! I cook for our American Legion Post every Wednesday and we have a LOT of chicken in the freezer.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:39 pm

Can I come to your houses for dinner, please?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:02 am

No kidding, Diat! It all does sound so good! So what are you doing for Christmas?
Winfrey
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Winfrey » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:04 am

Our Xmas is celebrated on Sunday with the whole family gathering at our place... it's the largest place to have everyone meet with the kids and all the presents... family is now 21 and 1 pending :-). Nancy, Carols sister will do most of the cooking... not sure of everything she will bring over to cook.. but she is a great cook soooooo. Xmas night I will most likely grill some fish ...
------------
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see
Henry David Thoreau]
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:33 am

Not a turkey lover, so we're having a leg of lamb, roast potatoes, assorted veggies, mint sauce, etc. etc. Haven't made up my mind for dessert but will have mince tarts and a rather good fruit cake which I've just tried from an online recipe. It's sort of a cross between regular fruit cake and plum pudding. Just a regular dinner, but there will be Christmas crackers and wine and my daughter and two of her children who are still living at home will be with us. So a good day.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:28 pm

http://www.singingthroughtherain.net/2013/06/loaded-chicken-and-potatoes.html

Here's the recipe, Drac. It's super easy to make and it is sooooo good! My niece posted it on her facebook page and has never made it or tried it. I found out from her sister that she won't even be in the same zip code with an onion, so this year I'm making it without the green onions in the hopes that she'll try it!

And yes...now that the family gatherings have shifted here, I'm the hostess and chief cook. I hardly did any cooking while I worked. Now that I'm retired, I've turned into quite the domestic! :D (I always used to joke that after basic training, I could get a job at any Holiday Inn in the country. Little did I know. :) )
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:53 pm

Oh, my goodness! That sounds awesome! Definitely putting it on the list for dinners.
skeeter
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Postby skeeter » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:15 pm

We are having the same as every year - breakfast is ham and soft boiled eggs, bread and butter and orange juice. Lunch is turkey, salt beef, chipolatas wrapped in bacon, roast potatos, parsnips and carrots, peas and xmas pudding. Tea is bread and ham, fish paste, mince pies, xmas cake and cups of tea. Of course now my nieces are here there is often also crackers and peanut butter! There is an obscene amount of snack foods as well, everywhere I look is food ;) It'll just be mum, dad and I on Xmas day, then my brother's family with us on Boxing day. We repeat the same menu. Unless mum doesn't get out of hospital by Xmas eve, then it'll be all postponed.
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues."
— Terry Pratchett
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:00 pm

I hope your mum gets home in time, Skeeter.

I'm not hosting anything this year. I'll be at my cousin's house on Christmas eve and with my sis-in-law and her husband on Christmas day. I'll bring cheesecake, a veggie dish, and wine.
There's no such thing as too many books!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:54 pm

That "loaded chicken" recipe sounds like one I'd like to try. Just one question - what is fiesta blend cheese? Will plain old cheddar do?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:21 am

Here in our stores it is usually a blend of cheddar, Monteray Jack and a couple of other cheeses. Plain old cheddar would do I'm sure. I'm definitely going to make it too!
Winfrey
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Winfrey » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:33 am

Ingredients: Ingredients: Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Queso Quesadilla and Asadero Cheeses , cheddar would work but you should be able to find another kind to add to it... Queso is Mexican cheese. it just mellows out the cheddar
------------
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see
Henry David Thoreau]
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:17 am

Thanks, I think I've seen something similar in our stores.

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”