Advice Needed on Office Substitute

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Advice Needed on Office Substitute

Postby Diat60 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:24 am

Recommendations for a free substitute for MS Office? I know some have been mentioned but I can't remember what they were.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Advice Needed on Office Substitute

Postby draclvr » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:03 am

I use the free Open Office from Oracle on our American Legion computer and it works quite well. It's a little bulky and slow, but has a lot of features.

This article lists a few others...

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ ... ernatives/

There are free versions of Microsoft Office Online and they are quite good as long as you don't need all the fancy stuff. I have them available in my online Outlook.com email account, but you can also use them from the link below. Just ignore the Free Trial stuff and use the icons for the free apps below. You can save and use stuff locally on your computer or in the cloud with your One Drive. I love that. I take minutes at meetings on my Surface tablet and save to my One Drive. Then I can access the document on my desktop here at home to edit and print. I believe you will have to sign in to a Microsoft account to use them. I keep myself signed in to mine all the time.

https://www.office.com/?WT.mc_id=Office_Products_site
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:21 am

Thanks, Drac. I downloaded Apache Open Office with just the Write and Power Point functions. Don't need all the rest of the "fancy" ones! Haven't tried it yet. The reason I wanted this is that my everloving gave me a lovely little printer (Canon iJ110) for Xmas. Up to now I've been using his in the basement which usually meant I had to run downstairs to turn on his computer, run back up to press "print" and then run back down to collect the page. I generally only use the printer for recipes from the Internet or I write them out in increasing bad handwriting. This can make it very difficult when I want to make a dish again and can't make out my own instructions! So now I'm going to have a project for the winter of transferring all my handwrittens to print, not to mention being able to print straight from the Net.

BTW, there is a very good little Forum I've joined this year you all might like to take a look at: http://www.baking-forums.com/
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:27 pm

You realize that you have always had WordPad on your computer? It's a very decent word little word processor without a lot of bells and whistles, but still much more usable than NotePad.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:41 pm

I was using Wordpad, but thought it might be interesting to see what another one does. Also without MS Office, I can't look at PowerPoint presentations which a friend sends me. So far we like the Open Office.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:20 pm

Other than being a bit slow and ponderous, I really like Open Office. You didn't need Office to play Power Point presentations as there is also a Power Point Reader out there that works even better than Open Office for playing Power Point presentations. But you should be all set now with what you want to do!

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”