Epic Record Breaking Flooding Where I Live

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Epic Record Breaking Flooding Where I Live

Postby draclvr » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:44 pm

We live at a high elevation in our county, but cannot get to town by the normal route because it us under water - a LOT of water. The Bourbeuse River crested at 35 feet today breaking a record set in 1982. Union, Missouri is all over the national news right now. These are some pics very close to our house I took this morning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Epic Record Breaking Flooding Where I Live

Postby Rosaboobie » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:12 am

Oh my goodness, I have been following your floods Drac. We have the same flooding here in Cumbria - some houses have been flooded out for the third time in as many weeks - it must be heartbreaking for that to happen. Once upon a time my dream was to own a house with a river running at the bottom of my garden - but that was before global warming!
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:16 am

Even my 92 year-old mother says she is watching climate change in her lifetime. Mother Nature is a bitch if you don't treat her right.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:13 pm

Thank goodness for spots with high elevation! My local news is showing a MCDonalds in your area, that looks like it could float away any minute.

We've had a lot of rain, swollen creeks, ponds, water laying in already wet spots, but nothing like what you're experiencing. Keep safe!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:21 pm

Yup, that's our McDonalds! Still have to take the long back way into town... the waters are receding, but there is still at least 4 feet of water on our road. It looks like it got up to around 8 feel over the road judging by the marks on the bluff next to the road.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:28 pm

Seems like El Nino has an awful lot to answer for this winter, worldwide. Floods in the States and the UK, fires in Australia, and record snow fall here that may have claimed two victims shovelling snow here in Ottawa. Has the flooding affected the horse rescue farm?

I've never heard of your river so looked it up on Google maps. I think the word "meandering" may have been invented to describe it. I've never seen so many twists and turns, it just can't make up its mind if it's going north, south,east or west!
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:07 pm

That flooding looks like a real mess, Drac. We've had rain here almost every day this past week. It has been steady and my back yard is a mud pit in spots, but there haven't been any washouts like yours. I'm just tired of the grayness and having to wipe the dogs down every time they come in.
There's no such thing as too many books!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:07 pm

The Rescue Ranch is fine - I worked down there for several hours this morning mucking out stalls.

From Wikipedia... Noser's Mill is about 5 miles from us.

The river is highly crooked: one section, near Noser Mill, has 11 miles (18 km) of river between points less than a half mile apart. 107 miles (172 km) of the river are in Franklin County, and only 27 airline miles. Unusual for a river of its size, a number of river bends are named. It eventually empties into the Meramec River which empties into the Mississippi.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Postby Kickaha » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:10 am

I feel for you Draclvr - knowing someone actually involved brings this home.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:08 am

Hang in there, Drac! El Nino certainly came to bite this time around. We are on drastic water restrictions as a result of a really dry winter past.
From drought to floods my thoughts are with you all.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:41 pm

Glad to hear that you are safe and well, Drac...albeit a bit inconvenienced. It's beyond me how so many political figures have their heads in the sands regarding climate change. Dang special interests prevail over the obvious...to the detriment of the planet!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:34 pm

Between El Niño, the polar vortices being completely messed up because of the receding polar ice cap and climate change, I'm not seeing it get any better. Even my 92 year-old mother is stunned by the changes she seen in the weather in her lifetime.

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”