Highlights of 2015 for you?

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General
Zodiac: Cancer

Highlights of 2015 for you?

Postby Kickaha » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:03 pm

What were your highlights of 2015?

Mine were seeing a total solar eclipse on a cruise I did with Virginia, passing a Grade 6 piano exam I felt I shouldn't have done, and developing a frozen shoulder. Well the frozen shoulder itself isn't so much fun, but I've quite enjoyed getting massaged by a nice young physiotherapist.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Highlights of 2015 for you?

Postby draclvr » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:31 pm

I'm going to start by going BACK into 2015! First is surviving the great flood of December 2015... which should have never happened. But don't get me started on appropriate land use and management in flood plains!! Celebrating my mother's 92nd birthday in October with so much fun. Burying my beloved brother-in-law in July after he finally lost his 15 year fight with cancer and the after-effects of a stem-cell transplant, including losing both of this legs. He fought back every time and was walking with a cane, but a final bout with pneumonia finally overcame his severely compromised lungs. Then there is having the WORST vegetable gardening year ever! We had 3 weeks of cold and rainy weather the end of May and into June which is a critically time for growth and development. Horrible root crops and every worse tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers etc. However, the best sweet corn we've ever raised!

That's kind of it for me!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:01 pm

Kickaha, you seemed to have more highs than lows. Drac, the opposite...though the flood was huge and you prevailed!

For met the year started with my older brother having a heart attack and triple bypass at the age of 63. He recovered here with Mom and I for a month (for a while it looked like a real rest home here!) and is doing very well since! Then Mom ended up in the hospital when her hemoglobin plummeted to 5.5 gms (thank God I insisted that we get her in for some blood work). Fortunately, they brought in a hematologist who diagnosed her iron deficiency anemia as hemolytic anemia (quite a difference). Initially the high doses of steroids did a number on her and I has to assist her greatly dressing, standing, sitting, etc. She's now on a lower dose and the doc is keeping a sharp eye.

I enjoyed taking care of the yard myself and was able to successfully handle the lawn mower without it ending up down the slope into the backyard pond! We celebrated Mothers Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day here and good times were had by all.

The end of 2015 was so much better than 2014 when we experienced Snowmageddon, so I can't complain about the weather.

Cheers to a more fortunate than misfortunate 2016 for all! :)
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:21 pm

A fairly uneventful year here for Brian and I. We stayed healthy and the two dogs stayed healthy, no major upsets, etc. Some might call it boring but there have been times in my life when I've wished for boring, so can't complain. Not sure if it's a highlight or a lowlight, but said goodbye to my 56 year old son who split with his wife and packed all his belongings into an RV and headed for the West Coast (British Columbia). Hopefully he'll find a job out there, but if he does heavens knows when we'll see him again. Do you ever stop worrying about them?
Personal highlight was my trip to DisneyWorld in Florida. Loved the simulator rides and the general fun being with a daughter and three grandchildren.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby JKEerie » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:48 pm

I've never been married or had any children, Diat, but I would presume that if I had, they would never be far from my thoughts. That's how I am with my brothers, nieces, nephews and now great nephews. So worry away! I do wish your son well and hope that he finds/makes time to keep in touch.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:28 pm

2015 was rather stressful for me, so am definitely looking forward to 2016.

My youngest daughter is expecting a baby boy in May. I'm excited!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:52 pm

Oh, many congratulations, Stella! That is so exciting...
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:37 pm

Is this your first grandchild, Stella? I'm hoping for a great grandchild someday, but all my grandchildren are approaching or over 30 and not showing any signs of settling yet. Not like when we were young.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:25 pm

Thanks! This will be #4, all boys. Aidan and Noah live in North Carolina, which means I'm lucky to see them twice a year. Chase is close by and this new one will be close by, having just moved back to Ohio from Georgia.

Maybe soon Diat, for a great grandchild. Early 30's seems to be the new age for baby having.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:16 pm

Hmmm - where do I start lol? :roll:
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:04 pm

Why don't you start with the big one... everyone here has been quite concerned about you!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:47 pm

Second the concern, RB.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:49 am

Me too!! RB!
2015 for me personally was a pretty good year. Grandchildren growing up beyond the baby/toddler years and now one can have fun with them and a decent conversation!! Such a plus. Good health for most of the time - still able to have regular 'unpaid' employment which keeps me busy.
Hope this all continues in 2016.

Now I will wait for RB's response in anticipation. :wink:
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:45 am

The farewell ceremony for my late husband, Dave, was the event I'll remember most from 2015. Other than that it's smaller things, such as going to plays and visiting with friends.
There's no such thing as too many books!
Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Jude » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:06 am

I guess just surviving with my elderly cat (she'll be 22 in the Spring) and keeping my head above (figurative ;) ) water was the main thing.

I also completed the Play 10 Games 10 Times Challenges two times (a hardcore and a normal one), which, IMHO, is an accomplishment and proves that my stamina, concentration, and perhaps my headaches are getting somewhat better. :)

Here's the link to the list where I was keeping track and writing game reports (although, I still need to type up the rest for a couple of the games):
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/1 ... nd-other-g

And I have entered again this year with different lists of games. If anyone's interested, here is the contest page:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/20140 ... imes-each/

Other than occasionally playing games with people, seeing a relatively on a rare occasion, running some errands and going to doctor appointments and test, and playing with my cat, I've been leading a rather peaceful and solitary life, so I don't think there's anything that really qualifies as a highlight, but that's okay.

Best wishes to everyone for a wonderful new year. :)
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.wondrousuniverse.com

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”