Windows 10 and Microsoft Surface tablet

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General
Zodiac: Cancer

Windows 10 and Microsoft Surface tablet

Postby Kickaha » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:10 pm

This isn't a request for technical help, just expressing dismay at trying to help my father who was silly (IMHO) to get a Microsoft Surface and experience the wonders of Windows 10 on it. He is in his 90s so forgive him not being able to work out how to connect the power lead (that was the first problem I had to help him with).

Compared with Apple and Android tablets I found Windows 10 rather unsuitable as an OS for a tablet, like someone had missed the point of what tablets could be like i.e. simple to use.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Windows 10 and Microsoft Surface tablet

Postby draclvr » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:25 pm

I have a Surface tablet, but am using Windows 8.1 on it. I love it and find it exceedingly easy to use. But that's probably because I used Windows 8.1 and now Windows 10 on my desktop and I'm so used to them. When I've tried to use an iPad or iMac, it makes me insane because nothing works the way I expect it to! So I expect familiarity has something to do with it too.

Winfrey got a Surface Pro and is thoroughly enjoying it because she can install all her favorite games on it - something not possible with an Apple or Android tablet. While many games are being ported to the Mac OS, the majority are not. So I guess it all depends on what you want to use it for. Honestly, I think the iPads are the best for basic consumption because they are so simple to use. I don't care for the "walled garden" concept, but most people don't mind it. But if you want to install third party software and games, then the Surface or Surface Pro is the way to go.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Winfrey
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Winfrey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:10 am

Morning Kickaha... did the surface come with 10 on it? I have 8.1 on mine and have decided not to upgrade to 10 as they are still working out video and picture taking issues with it.
I have the keyboard /cover for it and use it mostly with the keyboard attached. You can still use the touch screen. I have it set to go to my desktop and not the picture/block side of windows... it is just like my desktop.
Does your dad use the desk top? perhaps the keyboard option may help him. I like the fact that as Drac said... I can load games and programs and play like I am on my computer. If you set up his page with icons that will take him to the places he usually goes to it might help him also. I did that for a friend of mine.. One for the internet and one for the places she likes to check out.
------------
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see
Henry David Thoreau]
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:12 am

Winfrey, Windows 10 no longer has the Start Page with square icons for shortcuts. There is only the desktop and the Windows icon in the lower left is back to being a true Start menu, although it does use the small square icons for Start menu shortcuts. Windows 10 is probably more like Windows 7 than anything else... except screamingly faster and some thing in different places.

As I understand it, the video and photo anomalies were only present in one of the much earlier pre-release technical builds and were resolved long before the official release of Windows 10 on July 31.

If you upgrade to Windows 10, you will have 30 days to revert back to your previous OS if you don't like it.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Winfrey
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Winfrey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:19 am

lol... did not know that.. that makes it easier then... just pin the places he goes to the most... the keyboard is still a great option .. I pull out the kick stand on the surface and set the keyboard on my lap.. wala... I am off and running. My bigest problem is when I go back to my desktop computer and touch the screen... this surface has spoiled me with the touch screen
------------
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see
Henry David Thoreau]
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Kickaha » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:46 am

Yes what you're familiar with is important Draclvr! Windows 10 on the Surface just drove me as insane as you got to when trying to use a Mac.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:26 pm

Kickaha, I think our brains get used to something and it's harder to make them adjust to something different - especially for me the older I get!

One thing that drove me to most insane with Macs was no right click context menu! You will find if you right click the things your dad uses the most, you can pin them to the desktop, Start menu or taskbar where he can get to them quickly and easily.

I dearly love my keyboard too, Winfrey. I find the combination of touch and keyboard to be really nice. Haven't caught myself trying to use touch on my ancient monitor yet though!

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”