Snowzilla

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Re: Snowzilla

Postby Val » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:19 am

Maybe the fact that you 'do' have severe weather is the reason partially why. Imagine trying to find a fault under 20 feet of snow! At least one look at a downed post and wires calls immediate attention to the problem?
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:38 am

In my experience, Val, I have never ever known any faults in Jersey with underground cables - they are far too well protected for anything to go wrong. Except for human error, such as drilling through pipes etc.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:20 am

Well that blows my theory!! :D
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:08 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Boobie
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:23 pm

I really feel for those who are not used to the snow, having to deal with the amounts they got this past weekend. When I was stationed in DC, we got to inches one day and the city fell apart. Of course growing up and living in snow country, we get rather used to it. However, November of 2014 provided us with Snowmageddon (aka Snovember) in which many of us were literally behind a "wall of snow." You can see it in the first photo. We got 74 inches in 3 days time, with the first 5 feet falling in the first 24 hours. Forget a blanket. We went to bed and woke up under a freaking quilt!!! I raised my garage door with the idea of going out with the snow thrower only to realize the height of the snow exceeded the full height of the thrower! It was up to my chest! My brothers, living just a few minutes away, had nothing. Since it's just Mom and I, I was out solo but then neighbors came to assist as the snow had to be knocked down before you could use the snow thrower to clear it. Once we got the first opening cleared, I was able to finish the rest, working many hours. We had to wait 3 days before the snow plows came through to clear the streets, and then another day before they lifted the snow ban. There were a number of people who died...some literally buried in their vehicles trapped by the snow. The forecasters got it all wrong. Thankfully they've taken steps within the state to prevent people getting trapped on highways, etc. With this most recent east coast storm, Gov. Cuomo was so vehement in telling people to stay off the roads, etc. He needed to. After that experience, I figured any normal winter is going to be a piece of cake.
buffalo-snow sm.jpg
ap_buffalo_winter_snow sm.jpg
ht_buffalo_snow sm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:27 pm

I remember that a couple of years ago - it was unbelievable. I know we didn't hear from you for a few days and were getting worried!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby JKEerie » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:33 pm

I was too exhausted to type! :)

BTW I was supposed to have a whole house generator installed that week...which for obvious reasons got postponed. The lines in this neighborhood are all underground, but issues can arise elsewhere, so I decided it was a good investment. Amazingly we did not lose power through the entire episode. The generator was installed the following month. We've had outages from time to time. I think the longest was this past summer for a couple of hours. It was the hottest day of the year, but Mom and I were cool with the AC and I was able to cook dinner, etc. The cable and internet were out, but I hooked up the rabbit ears so Mom and I could at least watch network TV.
Last edited by JKEerie on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:36 pm

For those of us who are really not used to snow, that sounds unbelievable, JK
Boobie
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby JKEerie » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:55 pm

You know, Rosy, it almost was. It's our wonderful lake effect. The last major snow I recalled prior to that one in 2014 was 2001. I was home for the holidays with the folks and the snow started on Christmas eve. We got 7 feet in 4 days (a couple feet each day). My folks were in their 70's. There was a travel ban and all the roads were closed so I was unable to head back to my job in Erie 100 miles away. We'd clear the driveway only to find it filled each of the next 3 mornings. My Dad stared at the image on the weather channel of this huge blue blob suspended over the lake and region. I finally hustled a neighbor to use his snow thrower as we could not lift the snow high enough with the shovels. Finally on Saturday, we woke up to the sun!! The snow plows came through and I worked to clear it while my Dad unburied the cars. They lifted the travel ban so I was able to head back to Erie...to of all things, snow. The last thing I did was take a photo of my Mom and Dad in the driveway. It was like American Gothic, but instead of a pitchfork and overalls, it was a shovel and parkas. :)
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:48 pm

You've probably all seen this but here goes anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqptbtwXUCs
draclvr
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:06 pm

Yes, I've seen it, but I still watch it every time it comes around because it's just so amazing.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:17 pm

I had never seen that news report before, Diat. It was like a fast-moving glacier.

You do get dumped on in Buffalo, JK. I remember a weather person saying something about no snow, except, of course, in Buffalo. :)

One winter when I was in college, I flew out to see an old flame who was working in Flint, Michigan. On my way back east, there was a big blizzard in the tri-state area and our plane was diverted from Buffalo to Eire, where the snow wasn't as bad, and then on to Newark. The snow piles were already mountainous in Newark, so I could imagine how deep everything was in Buffalo.
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby JKEerie » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:24 pm

I had never seen that video before, either! That is terrifying...like the movie "The Blob" only it's an ice monster!

We used to get our share of snow in Erie as well, but I don't recall in the 28 years I lived there anything like what Buffalo has experienced. We'd have some pretty snowy winters, but not the sustained lake effects that can really dump a load over a sustained period. I guess you could say when I moved to Erie, technically I moved south. :)

I missed a couple of Buffalo's big storms when I was in the Air Force...like the blizzard of '77. When I retired and told people I was moving to Buffalo they all said the same thing: "No one retires and moves TO Buffalo." We'd have some relatively mild winters as well but Buffalo's reputation will always be associated with major snow. This winter, in fact has been really mild. We didn't get our first snowfall until the week before Christmas...a whole 0.1 inches. Then Christmas, it was in the 50's. I think the most I've cleared from the driveway this month has been maybe 6 inches. It would be nice to get through the entire winter with a light "load." Until Lake Erie freezes over, though, we always worry about another lake effect storm.
Lucien21
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Lucien21 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:43 am

We are getting the backlash of snowzilla. it flew across the Atlantic and decided to give us more gale force winds and rain.

ah well better than snow I suppose.
Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable.
—Anorak’s Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1–2
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:42 am

Oh oh, for once those winds have not reached us yet on Sanday!
Boobie

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”