Brace yourselves, we are told!

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Brace yourselves, we are told!

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:36 pm

I am really glad not to be living in a tornado or hurricane area - to me that would be far more terrifying that what I am experiencing now.

Our local news has just told us we are having these storms till about Tuesday. I can hear my roof tiles trying to blow off! And you should see the way the conservatory glass is moving in their frames, although I suspect they have to move and be flexible, in order for them not to shatter. With hindsight, I dont think an all glass conservatory was a good idea in this climate. Lots of leaks in there again today.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:30 pm

I used to get teased all the time by my professional colleagues about living in Erie and Buffalo. They'd always rag on me about the snow. Several of them were from Florida and other southern states. My standard retort was "You can't shovel a hurricane."
Thoughts and prayers are still with you, Rosy. Are they calling for a downshift in the wind speeds at all as the storm week proceeds?
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:31 pm

Comforting to know you're not being bypassed, weatherwise, Drac. Of course, those winds you speak of caused the Dust Bowl in the '30s and taught us we could not interfere with Mother Nature with impunity.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:36 pm

JK, all is quite peaceful just now, but we are due more strong winds tomorrow, so the weather man says. We have a local Facebook page for Sanday Residents and we are hearing about lots of minor structural damage, including the windsock and pole having disappeared from the local airfield ha ha!
Boobie
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:02 pm

Pleased you survived the first onslaught RB! Holding thumbs that the worst has passed and that all will still be well with you in the days ahead.
My goodness what a storm - hang tight!! x
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:41 am

Lots of lightning strikes in Orkney last night - 700 homes still without power. Luckily the lightning started before I went to bed, so I unplugged the router and phone :cool:

Already today we have had strong winds, thunder and lightning, sleet, snow, hail and torrential rain :cool:
Boobie
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:38 am

And this is Shetland, which took the brunt of Gertrude!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boobie
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:42 am

Good grief, would not want to be in that cottage when the spray hits! Good to see your power is still working.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:44 am

When I first came here, I was looking for a cottage right on the foreshore. Thank goodness I never found one ha ha! :shock:
Boobie
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:35 am

When you said Shetland, then I thought of the Hillswick Wildlife Sanctuary... I suppose they will get a lot of baby seals that were separated from their mothers in the rough seas.

While terrible, that picture is beautiful... I just set it as my desktop background!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:23 pm

Yes, that picture is awesome - nature at its wildest.

I never thought about Hillswick but yes, I bet they are having a busy time right now.

We now have 1,500 homes without power and it looks like I also have a problem. Although I do have power, all my lighting has gone on one half of the house. I just hope its not due to water damage.
Boobie
Winfrey
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Winfrey » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:33 pm

I just saw this post... wow Boobie you sure are going thru a lot. I hope you still have some power interesting tho that one side went out.could it be a fuse. Hope you stay safe and it gets over soon. Must be hard to get the dogs out to do their duty.
------------
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see
Henry David Thoreau]
draclvr
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:40 pm

I wondered about that too - the little pups might blow away!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:30 am

It's funny you should say that - I have a Russian friend here called Tanya and she has a little chihauhau - did I spell that right? - She put him out for toilets in the strong wind and he blew away - I am not kidding you. Thank goodness she has the sense to put him on a leash at these times.

As for my dogs, they mostly "go" in the little front garden which is walled in and therefore offers them some protection, although their ears and legs do wobble a bit ha ha!

As to the house lighting, there are 2 fuse/meter boards, the original one and a new one I added - which means that one half of the house is controlled by each of them. I was very brave and ventured out in the dark/winds/rain just in case the door had blown off the old outside meter cupboard, as it did in the last storm, which would have made the wiring wet and dangerous. Thank goodness it was still intact, and indeed the lighting switch had tripped. I reset it, went back into the house, switched on all the lights, and still the lounge ones wont work, so at least I know where the problem is now.
Boobie
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:45 pm

How are the wind speeds today, Rosy?

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”