Something to Warm the Cockles of Your Heart!

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Something to Warm the Cockles of Your Heart!

Postby draclvr » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:56 pm

As most of you know, I do a lot of volunteer work at Longmeadow Rescue Ranch which is just 3/4 of a mile down the road from where I live. About a year ago we got in a little pony we named Helga. She is an older mare - about 16 - and was just skin and bones. She was also pregnant. We were so very happy when she didn't have her foal until early this spring after she had gained back most of her weight and was much stronger.

This summer one of the staff found a whole bunch of tiny little bumps under her skin on her neck, shoulders and girth area. Someone had shot her at point blank range with birdshot. The vet very carefully took out dozens of them closing each tiny little cut with a single stitch. They especially wanted to get all of them in the girth area where a saddle girth would go under her belly. There were a bunch of them that were just embedded too deep in the muscle of her neck to safely retrieve, so the vet left them alone.

Anyway, little Harper was weaned off her this fall and she has continued to thrive and is just the sweetest little thing ever. She was finally adopted and went home with her new BFF today!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Re: Something to Warm the Cockles of Your Heart!

Postby JKEerie » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:07 pm

What a lovely ending to a tragic story!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:26 am

Oh, how wonderful. Longmeadow and its supporters do such superb work, they really do.

I hope Drac wont mind me saying this here - Because of their wonderful work, I have included Longmeadow in my Will. Of course it goes without saying, I sure hope they dont get their money for a long time yet. :wink:
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:47 am

I hope they don't get it for a good long time either!

The little girl changed Helga's name to Princess Helga and I guess Helga is just as smitten with her as she is for her new pony!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:51 am

And ANOTHER happy ending! Giselle came to us about a year ago... her survival wasn't assured because of issues with her feet and legs. But with patience and plenty of TLC, she recovered from her abuse completely. I sniffed away a tear or two as I watched her load into the trailer Wednesday. Everyone fell in love with this sweet, sweet mare.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:06 pm

Oh my goodness - what a transformation - and another forever home found :cheers:
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:14 pm

Awww. It's so good to see these animals going to folks who truly want them. My sister was just a little older than that little girl when we got our pony, Apples. He didn't want to be ridden at first, but she persisted, and they formed a bond that lasted for many years.
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:03 pm

I felt so upset when I read of Helga being shot, made my stomach feel quite queer. I don't know whether we need mosquitoes or not, but there are definitely some human beings we don't.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:38 pm

Very good observation, Diat. I'll keep the mosquitoes and get rid of certain humans who abuse children and animals.

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”