East Thrave Cottage

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: East Thrave Cottage

Postby Rosaboobie » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:55 am

I told Emma, the Sanday Ranger, that she could keep the key for the time being, and I know that they have been back twice since Sunday but they have still not made a decision yet. I have told them today that I will give them until the end of this month, and then I will have to advertise it or put it with an Estate Agent. I dont want to pressure them, but on the other hand, now that Spring is around the corner, I need to do something about putting it on the open market.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:06 am

Oh, good... then they're still thinking about it! I think you've been very generous in giving them to the end of the month.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:07 am

Second Drac's comment. Have they mentioned others they're interested in?
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:25 am

Well, they told me today they dont think they will need a mortgage, which means they are cash buyers and they are not in a house "chain", as they are merely renting on Sanday, so they have no property to sell. So, thats the real reason that I have given them until the end of this month. Dont want to pressure them too much and scare them away. There is obviously something that they are not quite happy with, but I dont know what. They did mention to me that ETC did not have wonderful views like my Whistlebrae, but I did point out to them that views come with a price, and that my cottage was over 50% more than ETC!

Diat, we have not discussed other properties they may have viewed - I do know that they have visited one property near me twice, but that was about a month ago now.
Boobie
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:46 am

East Thrave Cottage - ETC. Very appropriate for your second unwanted property!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:01 am

Very clever, Diat!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:39 am

Right, well I had a chat with Russell (partner of Emma our Sanday Ranger) on Facebook yesterday morning, and he told me that he is indeed more interested in another property, for which they will need a mortgage. Then he came back to me later in the afternoon and told me that unfortunately the Bank will not give them a mortgage.

So they are coming to my house tomorrow morning for a face to face meeting. I feel sorry for them that they are not able to buy the house they wanted, but then again I am sure that most of us probably did not buy our dream house as our first home. In fact mine was the middle house of 5 terraced houses!

I am more than willing to drop my price dramatically but I just hope that they do not offer me a silly price............... watch this space - yet another sleepless night tonight lol!
Boobie
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:37 am

Fingers crossed, Rosy!!!! :gl
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:15 pm

Thank you, JK - I also am keeping everything crossed! :wink:
Boobie
RCB
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby RCB » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:11 pm

Wow! Just took a peek at those photos and suddenly got the distinct impression that I had been dropped into the next Carol Reed mystery. :cool:
Around here the whole clan is trying to figure out what to do with the huge farmhouse that's been in the family since 1818, empty since my dad passed in 2012.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:30 pm

That is definitely an old farmhouse, RCB. Mine was built around 1917. This has reminded me that I've meant to ask Rosaboobie the approximate age of ETC and her cottage too.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:10 am

ETC is very "modern" in Orkney terms - built in the 1950s we think.

As for Whistlebrae, no idea, I wish I knew, but because of the 3 feet thick walls, it must be fairly old. I am still tryng to do some research into this.

My Jersey granite cottage, La Rosaye, was built in 1735!
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:34 am

No offer from Emma and Russel I take it?
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:25 am

Yes, yes, yes - we have just finished a 2 hour meeting, and they have made me a cash offer. I decided not to haggle at all and so I accepted their opening offer, and I think that both sides are more than happy with the outcome - I know that I am. I could sense that they would have gone higher, but I am not greedy, and just want rid of - smiles all around. I just have to now wait for the official offer in writing from lawyer to lawyer - what a shame it is the weekend - I just hope they can in fact come up with the cash.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:39 am

It's not "done" until it's done.... BUT! I am so excited and relieved for you!!!!! Being a cash offer is even less of a hassle for you as you don't have to wait for mountains of paperwork to be completed for a mortgage. Plus, you have given a young couple a good start.

One more step towards closing this "unfortunate" (see how charitable I'm being!) chapter in your life.

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”