Another word for my vocabulary

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General
Zodiac: Cancer

Another word for my vocabulary

Postby Kickaha » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:09 pm

We get loads of corporate emails most of which I delete at work. One I did scan because it had a word I hadn't come across before - catphishing. As I'm behind the times this is probably well known but I'll just quote some of the blurb:

Catphishing (also known as catfishing) is a form of deception, usually perpetrated through social media. It is often described as a romance scam, but criminals may use business or common interests to develop a relationship with the victim. Although it can be deployed through email as a typical phish, catphishing is increasingly conducted through social media -- Facebook being a high risk environment for this type of attack.

The cybercriminal will build a relationship with the target user and eventually ask for money, reveal sensitive information or allow for the user to click on a button, image or link. These actions may download malware, steal credentials or compromise the user's identity.

Be suspicious of someone who is 1. always dealing with a crisis or emergency and needs your help; 2. is looking for money to get through the emergency, 3. can never meet in person or talk on the phone
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Re: Another word for my vocabulary

Postby LadyKestrel » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:15 pm

I've heard of those types of scams but didn't know the terminology for them. Thanks for the info, Kickaha.
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:04 pm

Knew about the scam, but also never knew it had a name!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:09 am

Thanks Kichaha - what a sad world!
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”