I saw my first robin of the year!

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

I saw my first robin of the year!

Postby mbday630 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:44 pm

I needed something to lift my spirits and today I saw my first robin of the year. That always makes me think that spring is right around the corner! Hopefully it is - I need warm. In 2 more months I should start seeing hummingbirds. I can't wait.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Re: I saw my first robin of the year!

Postby JKEerie » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:18 pm

Haven't seen any robins as yet but with all the snow we've had of late the sparrows have been frequenting the bird feeder. It seems we've seen more snow this February than we did all winter!
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:33 pm

I saw a flock of robins a couple of days ago. In fact, one of them flew into one of my living room windows very hard and didn't survive, the poor thing. I've tried decals on the windows to prevent this, but they keep falling off. Does anyone have a better suggestion?
There's no such thing as too many books!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:24 pm

I've had this happen too - I put some decals on the inside of the windows and they seem to be staying.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Postby LadyKestrel » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:30 pm

The instructions from the company I got the decals from said to put them on the outside, but those windows face north, so they didn't last long. I'll get another set and see if they work from the inside. They're the kind that are nearly clear but the birds are supposed to see them as blue-gray.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:48 am

I am confused...... your first robin of the year? You dont have robins all year round?
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:50 am

No, RB, we don't have robins all year long. For me, that is the first sign of spring. I don't know where they go as I didn't see any of them in Florida while I was there! However, my friend said that she has seen them all winter at her hospital about 30 miles from here, so, I think more and more of them might be staying all winter. My dad always said that the old ones might stay all winter as the trip is too long for them but I don't know if that is true or not.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:27 am

Actually, robins are more nomadic then habitual in flying south. Whether or not they go depends on the available food supply. We're used to seeing them on the ground pulling up worms. In the winter in climates where this isn't possible, they will form large flocks and feed off of fruits and berries so there behavior changes such that we aren't aware of them. I've seen a number of bird flocks this winter, but not of robins.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:33 am

Yup, that's true - they kind of follow the food supply. In the northern climes of the US, they definitely move south as with multiple feet of snow on the ground, they have no food supply at all. Even here in Missouri, they move further south in search of food sources such as fruits and berries as it is cold enough here, even that source isn't available.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:47 am

No robins yet, but we have sunshine and 50ish temps! Makes for a beautiful spring like day. The last time we had a sunny day, there was a mini blizzard the next day! :mad:
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:59 am

Our Greylag Geese no longer migrate - unfortunately they are all here all year round now - the population is spiralling out of control and their sheer numbers decimate our fields.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:23 pm

Oh, gross - I know they leave massive amounts of poop where ever they are too.

It's unseasonably warm here the last couple of days - around 75° F today. Spring must be in the air because I notice our little girl guinea hen has stopped hanging out with her favorite rooster and is now hanging out with the four boy guineas.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:35 pm

Yes, for a couple of days even we had sunny days here - and yes, those geese do leave slimey green poop - yuk! But Maloo just loves rolling in it - note to self - remember to buy more doggie shampoo!
Boobie
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Postby LadyKestrel » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:39 pm

It's 56° F. here in NJ this afternoon, a welcome change! The dogs have been out most of the day.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:30 pm

After our massive snowfall this week, we've had a couple of days of mild temps melting the snow, making lakes and rivers everywhere on driveways and streets. If any robins are brave enough to come to Ottawa, they'd better be good swimmers!

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”