Boo Hoo... my monitor died.

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Boo Hoo... my monitor died.

Postby draclvr » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:08 pm

I had a 22" View Sonic monitor for over 7 years. I loved my monitor! I had just said to hubby a couple of days before I hoped it would keep on working for a long time. Yup, got up a couple of mornings later and nothing but a blinking light. Unplugged, plugged in power; unplugged plugged in, DVI cable. Tried a reboot... nothing. I was crushed! Luckily I keep an ancient old 17" HP flat screen monitor as a backup and for when I have two or three computers going that I'm working on.

I shopped and compared and shopped some more. Finally settled on a 23.6" Samsung with a curved screen. I really like the curved screen - seems to be a bit easier on the eyes. I don't know if I'd go out of my way to buy a curved screen again, but it is nice.

So, I'm happy NOT to be using that horrid old 17" screen with the awful picture, but my old View Sonic is still sitting on my dining room table. I just can't bring myself to get rid of it!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Boo Hoo... my monitor died.

Postby Rosaboobie » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:34 am

R.I.P. faithful old monitor!

I never knew you could get a curved monitor. What made you choose this one? Do you have a curved tv?
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:24 am

I was wondering how the curved monitor would look. I know that my daughters TV (not a curved, but a wide, seemingly short tv) makes all the people on screen look fat. so, do the characters in a game look normal?
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:31 am

After our Tv died last fall, we went with the curved monitor. It has a subtle 3d look, almost like looking out a window, viewing the picture.

I never thought about curved monitors. Bet it's great for game playing. :)
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:15 am

Mbday, if your daughter's TV makes people look fat, they don't have the right setting for their screen. They should go into their settings and change it... with mine you can select several modes for the screen and some of them will stretch the picture to fit, but will make people look fat or things look squat. It sometimes changes depending on what is being broadcast. Some things are broadcast in formats that will still not fill the screen and you just have to deal with the black bars on the sides.

That's a very good way to describe it, Stella. It's almost like looking out a window. So far I haven't had time to get into any of my big gorgeous games like Witcher 3, but I took a break from cooking for the American Legion and I hope to get a chance to try it out this week. All my other games look spectacular though!

This is the monitor... the curve is very subtle.

Samsung Curved Monitor
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:51 am

My monitor died three weeks ago and found out that to repair it would be almost as much as a new one, so went shopping and got a Samsung 23.6" HD LED monitor. Like it a lot, although have still to get the brightness/contrast to my liking. Will wait until my eyes are right before messing about. Just had my second cataract/lens implant yesterday and the other one the previous week, so still have to see what settings are best for me. But love the fact that there is a 'gaming' mode at the slightest touch of your finger which makes it a big improvement on my older one.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Postby Val » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:59 am

Just checked a video reviewing this and it is dated February last year! So we are a bit behind! Also it is referred to as a relatively cheap monitor, but it cost me well over R3000 which is quite a lot in our money. :) Could have spent R9000 plus for a really good one, but heavens that is more than one eye surgery!! LOL!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:26 am

I wonder if it's the same monitor but without the curve. I checked back on when I purchased my old ViewSonic and was shocked to see that I paid $300 US for it seven years ago!
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Postby Val » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:18 pm

It is a Samsung s24d300 - don't know whether the models are the same in the US - like cars they may differ in name from country to country. But, as I say, so far am happy with it. Seems a bit bright, but that might be the eyesight at the moment as I mentioned before. Will play more with the controls when said eyes are back to normal. :)
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:59 pm

A bit off topic here, but Val might be interested in this. I found a pair of half-moon reading glasses at Amazon with a reading strength of plus 2, which seems to be the general strength needed after cataract surgery which I've also had. They're perfect for wearing while combining watching TV and reading, tablet use, etc. For straight computer use however, I've got Foster Grants multifocus readers - one strength for middle distance (across a desk or table), one for computer use and one for reading, all in one lens - perfect.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Postby Val » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:42 pm

Thanks Diatso for the advice. Haven't seen multifocus readers here. Got myself a pair of 2.5 glasses which are light and perch on top of my head for easy reach while watching tv!
There were also no half moon ones but, to be honest, I headed for the nearest pharmacy and picked out a pair from their range. Will keep a look out.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:52 am

Actually I couldn't get half-moon readers anywhere in Canada and the American suppliers don't send them to Canada, so had to resort to ordering some from Hong Kong. But I got 3 pair for only $20 and free shipping, can't beat that! Also, sorry, but looking at my post I realized that I made a mistake, I didn't get them from Amazon I got them from Ebay. I get my Foster Grants from the pharmacy.
Winfrey
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Winfrey » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:05 pm

curved monitor... sounds nice!
------------
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see
Henry David Thoreau]
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:53 am

It does indeed Winfrey. Now you have used it for a while, Drac, would you recommend a curved monitor to us?
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:07 am

Don't really know, RB. I do like it, but I'm not sure it's a "must have" feature. I do think it's easier on my eyes.

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”