Sanday Mug

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Sanday Mug

Postby Rosaboobie » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:14 am

Look what I bought yesterday at our local Craft Shop. It show one of our Selkies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Re: Sanday Mug

Postby Rosaboobie » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:22 am

And this is the other side of the mug, showing our very famous lighthouse. Start Point lighthouse on Sanday was completed on 2 October 1806 by engineer Robert Stevenson (Robert Louis Stevenson the author was his grandson). It was the first Scottish lighthouse to have a revolving light and since 1915 has exhibited distinctive black and white vertical stripes which are unique in Scotland. The light was automated in 1962 and is powered by a bank of 36 solar panels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boobie
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:49 pm

I probably mentioned this in the book forum, but a fascinating history of the building of the Scottish lighthouses is The Lighthouse Stevensons by Bella Bathurst. The building of those lights was fraught with difficulties, the main problem being, of course, the weather. One light was half built when a whopper of a storm washed it out to sea, and they had to start again from scratch.

I collect mugs from all the places I visit, RB, so if I ever get to Sanday, I'll have to buy that one. :)
There's no such thing as too many books!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:23 pm

Oh I can imagine they had the devil of a time building this one, LadyK, with such inclement weather here!

I would like to read that book.
Boobie
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:38 pm

Me too... if I ever get to Sanday, it will be one of my first purchases! I will have to look for that book - it really sounds interesting.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:00 pm

Ha ha, it was far easier for me to get from Kenya to Jersey, than it is to get to here from anywhere - travel is a nightmare, with no ferries or flights liaising, and so you always have to include night stopovers. Just a trip to Aberdeen Hospital takes us Sanday people 3 whole days!

Anyway, when you do all come, we can have a lovely BBQ :wink:
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:16 pm

I'm ready for the adventure!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:14 pm

Selkie - I looked this up, as I'd heard of Kelpies but not Selkies. Apparently an Orcadian word for seal. Not exactly what comes to mind when you think of mermaids!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:45 pm

If you are on Facebook, Diat, the Hillwick Wildlife Sanctuary has a wonderful page where they post pictures and videos of the baby Selkies they rescue, rehabilitate and release back into the wild. They also take in orphaned baby sea otters to raise as wild as they and release when they are old enough. The Sanctuary is on Shetland and is just a wonderful place. They also have a website.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:32 am

Hillswick wanted to build some new "wet" rooms for their residents at the end of last year, and they asked for donations to buy boxes of wall and floor tiles on their Facebook page, and they received an overwhelming response. They do such a wonderful job, this Sanctuary.
Boobie

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”