Neuro Forte meds

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Re: Neuro Forte meds

Postby Val » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:57 pm

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment, Drac! I knew to whom she was referring, of course. :D
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:53 am

Oh, thank heavens! I couldn't tell for sure!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:27 am

Actually, you are right, Drac - my Kenya vet (trained in the U.K. and not in Africa) supplied mostly "human" meds for our pets, as meds specifically for dogs was not available there.

With hindsight, I think that I might have been overdosing Benji for years on Vitamin B, as he also takes Vetzyme Conditioning tablets which I see is grouped under Vitamin B complex when I google. But I dont want him to get any more attacks like the one that took us to a speedy trip to Glasgow for an MRI scan 3 years ago. His percing non-stop screams of pain back then still haunt me. I feel sure that what he was experiencing then was similar to the meningitis I had many years ago - that was a pain like nothing else I had ever experienced. I also did not realise that I was in fact feeding him such high doses of Vitamin B - I simply blindly followed the advice of the Kenya vet, and so I made the decision today to half his daily dosage, and will monitor him very closely.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:14 am

Hope this works, something went wrong last night and I kept getting "Forbidden to post" error.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:16 am

Ok, this is the real test, as you could see I could post once, but when I tried to do another it failed.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:16 am

Found this on WebMD:

B6 Health Risks

High intakes of vitamin B6 from food is safe, but taking high doses of B6 supplements for a year or longer can cause severe and worsening neuropathy characterized by loss of control of bodily movements. According to the Office of Dietary Supplements, symptoms of neuropathy usually stop when the supplements are discontinued. Harvard School of Public Health states that high-dose vitamin B supplements should be avoided because they could lead to nerve damage. Taking too much vitamin B6 can also cause sensitivity to the sun, painful and disfiguring skin lesions and gastrointestinal symptoms, such as nausea and heartburn. Taking vitamin B6 can also interfere with several types of medications.
B12 Health Risks

Taking vitamin B12 is considered safe, although high-dose supplements or prescription-only injections of B12 might cause diarrhea, itching, blood clots and allergic reactions in some people.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:59 am

I think you are doing the right thing by reducing his dosage and monitoring him very closely. He may have needed such high doses of Vitamin B initially, but in the long run, a maintenance dose might be better for him. You won't know until you try it I guess! Have to remember he is s very little creature compared to a human too when considering dosages.

Diat, I frequently get internal service errors. I fear one of these days the site may just quit working... the software is out of date by several years and it is a huge pain to update it from what I understand.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:22 am

Rosa is getting the error now and can't post.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:09 am

Thanks, Diat... she messaged me on Facebook. Only thing to do is keep trying - I get the internal service error quite often now. Although Ghostlady isn't involved with the day to day operations here any more, I guess I will have to let her know the issue is getting worse. The board software is out of date by several years and maybe that's the problem.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:36 pm

Rosaboobie, a friend has been very, very concerned about her older dog - maybe 9 or 10 years old. She adopted him from a shelter several years ago knowing that he has diabetes and probably wouldn't live very long. But as he has gotten older and she is having a harder and harder time managing his diabetes, it got nearly fatal last week. She was at the vet with the decision to put him down or to try a last ditch attempt. He was also having neurological issues along with everything else.

So, they tweaked his insulin and put him on this supplement. Cory said it took about 5 days for it to build up in his system, but she says ALL the neurological problems have disappeared and he is back to his old happy self. She has been reading more about it and is finding loads and tons of people with great outcomes for their dogs. Maybe something to ask your vet about...

Senilife Brain Supplement for Dogs
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:38 am

I'm trying to post was Rosaboobie wasn't allowed to in this thread. When I tried to copy and paste the entire thing, I also got the 403 Forbidden error. Going to try it one sentence at a time:

That Senilife looks interesting, Drac, I will buy some and test it out on Benji.

OK. So the first sentence works. Next one:

I have also found out that my current supplier who provides all of his other meds and supplements also sells a B12 x 1000mg tablet, and I will try him on one half of this initially. I just hope he will not miss the B2 and B6 that he currently takes.

So did that one. Next:

Poor little man takes a cocktail of meds daily - Neuro-Forte, 2 Vetzyme conditioning tablets, half a tablet of glucosamine for the trauma he suffered when African children threw a huge rock to his back leg, and an evening primrose capsule for his hormonal imbalance, but the upside of this is that he has the silkiest fur ever.

How strange. If I post each sentence separately, I don't get an error. But if I post the one at a time, they work.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:36 pm

Well at least it happened to you also, the Forbidden 403 error message, so I dont feel quite so bad now. I was beginning to think I was well and truly jinxed :sad:
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:11 pm

Maybe we both are, Rosaboobie!
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:34 pm

I'm going to try to post your text, RB, just to see what happens.

That Senilife looks interesting, Drac, I will buy some and test it out on Benji. I have also found out that my current supplier who provides all of his other meds and supplements also sells a B12 x 1000mg tablet, and I will try him on one half of this initially. I just hope he will not miss the B2 and B6 that he currently takes. Poor little man takes a cocktail of meds daily - Neuro-Forte, 2 Vetzyme conditioning tablets, half a tablet of glucosamine for the trauma he suffered when African children threw a huge rock to his back leg, and an evening primrose capsule for his hormonal imbalance, but the upside of this is that he has the silkiest fur ever.

Edit: Well, it seems to have worked now. :)
There's no such thing as too many books!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:19 am

Right, Benji has been on a half tablet of Neuro Forte for a week now, and seems to be fine.

In the meantime I purchased the "human" form of Vitamin B12 but when the tablets arrived, there was a note attached saying that I should check with a vet first before giving any to Benji, so I have contacted The Small Animal Hospital in Glasgow where he went for his MRI scan - not sure if I will get a reply though as it was over 3 years ago when we went there.
Boobie

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”