The Black Dahlia Health Issues

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: The Black Dahlia Health Issues

Postby draclvr » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:06 pm

Indeed... I told her if it would have been my mother, I would have been raising holy hell!

JK, that's exactly the kind of caring that makes the difference. We all did the same thing for my mother. I was even driving up there - 1,200 miles round trip - once a month to stay with her for a week at a time to give my sister and sister-in-law a break. My sister was the primary care-giver for her husband who had both his legs amputated and a multitude or other issues, so it was hard for everyone. But will all pulled together and did it. She is in the nursing home now where she is what her hairdresser called "the Queen of the nursing home!" She is very well-loved there and her every need attended to immediately. They catch her health issues before she even knows about them. We are all breathing a lot easier now, but it was a hard road to travel for awhile.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:14 pm

And does this wonderful care that your Mom receives come at a price, Drac? Not meaning to be personal but does the family have to pay for these services?

My Mum also receives wonderful care, and it is all paid for by the Jersey Government. Well, they do take her monthly pension in exchange, but she does get pocket money of £30 per week.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:29 pm

Rosy...in the US, Long Term care is not free. Medicare...which is the health care program that covers those 65 and over in the US only goes so far. Basically, the cost of LTC will eat up any assets that the patient would have, including pensions, homes, social security, etc. We have something called LTC Insurance which individuals can purchase, but it is expensive. Most people don't purchase it because of it. However, when you discover that the cost for care can easily exceed $80000 per year, it puts those annual premiums in a brighter perspective. I purchased a policy before my 55th birthday and though the premiums are not cheap, if I pay on that policy for even 30 years, that cost would be less than what it would cost for one year in a facility if it came to that. Since I have no children to take care of me, I want to at least have the means to take care of myself.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:35 pm

Right, thanks for explaining that to me. It used to be the same here also - any assets you had the Government would take in lieu of looking after you when you could no longer look after yourself in your own home - but in the past year they have done away with that, and you are now allowed to gift your house to your family.

Although we are only 550 people living here, we are unfortunately an ageing poplulation in the majority, and so we are all pushing for a local Care Home to be built here. A good idea if it does happen.
Boobie
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:53 pm

Facilities that provide LTC in this country are generally private facilities, so it isn't the government that takes your assets, it's the facility that requires payment. There are government programs that will fund care but only for those that meet certain income thresholds...i.e. the very poor...or specialized groups, e.g. military veterans. So most in the US have to find the means to fund such needs themselves. Most want to stay in their homes as long as they can and can handle things through family care givers, like Drac described for her family and like I'm providing for my Mom, or professional services. It's those final years when individuals may require specialized health care that can't be provided in-home, that are the most costly and financially draining for a family. So...options include LTC insurance, reverse mortgages, whole life policies that have provisions to tap the value of the policy, annuities, etc. It's really something you have to think about when you're younger and plan for.

It would be wonderful if a facility...perhaps even something as simple as a group home, could be set up in Sanday.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:00 pm

Yes, what JKEerie has explained so well. Luckily my mother still owns our farm which is 240 acres of prime Iowa farmland. My brother rents the ground, so she has quite a bit of income. It doesn't quite cover the cost of the nursing home, but it's close including her Social Security. She pays around $5,000 per month right now because she now needs assistance with everything including dressing and toileting herself. Before Christmas - when she was hospitalized for a severe UTI - she was at a lower cost per day because she was able to pretty much take care of herself despite being wheelchair bound. Now my aunt has no resources at all... the farm was inherited by her sons when my uncle passed away. She will also be able to go into this nursing home under Medicaid, but they will take all her Social Security and she will have to share a room with someone else. But she will be taken care of just as well as my mother.

That would definitely be a plus for Sanday to have something for people when they can no longer keep up a home by themselves.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:19 pm

My mother still owns a farm and gets rent from it and that helps pay for her nursing home. Right now, luckily, she is able to live on her SS and the rent. but, her memory is failing and I don't know what we will do when she needs more expensive care. Long Term Care is not cheap here in the states. And, my mother has a room about 5 ft x 10 ft. If we visit, we put up some folding chairs and someone has to sit on the bed. but, she loves it there and that is the most important thing. An interesting thing I found out last week when I visited her with my brother - we asked her if she wanted to go out for lunch with us and she said no.... I think she is fearful of leaving and she likes feeling the normalcy of her new home. I was thinking of having her overnight here when the weather gets good, but, I am thinking she won't want to go. they get adjusted to their new home and don't like change. But, if she gets worse, I don't know what we are going to do... sell her farm? dunno.
StarLite
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Leo

Postby StarLite » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:54 pm

This is terrible, I hope you get better real soon BD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be thankful for the dawn of the coming day - Lisle Engle

StarLite Moon's Creators Haven
http://starlite-moon.freeforums.net/
Winfrey
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Winfrey » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:29 pm

This is alarming! Doesn't she live near anyone that can help her, no food!! My oh my!
------------
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see
Henry David Thoreau]
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:44 pm

I think she finally got her house cleaner to get some groceries for her. And this is what is driving Rosaboobie and me up a wall - she has NO ONE! But I just got an email from her and she is already considering everything that will be involved in making the move out to the east coast to live near her son. He is flying out there the week of March 27th to figure out what all is going on and what needs to happen to make this move.
Winfrey
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Winfrey » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:18 pm

Very good news, thanks for the update Drac
------------
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see
Henry David Thoreau]
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:38 am

So sorry to hear this! Hope she gets over the hump and will be back to her normal self soon. Do you think that maybe she is refusing to move because of her birds or her love for her home, which puts the authorities in a difificult position? This is something her children should be dealing with them to establish a comfortable nursing environment but, unfortunately, I suppose, it won't be with her beloved birds. :(
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:45 am

Oh yes, it has absolutely everything to do with her darn birds - I will let Drac fill you in more on this!
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:10 am

Indeed, her birds are why she has stayed in this environment for so long. I completely understand why - they have been her family and friends for over 20 years. But there comes a time when declining health becomes the driving factor. I hope and pray her son is able to find her a place to live where she can bring her birds, but I have a feeling they might not survive a move unless she was with them. I offered to fly out there and rent a mini-van and drive them across the country. But this depends entirely on whether her son can find a place which accepts animals - which is quite doubtful.

All I know is that the prospect of her moving to a more safe environment has lifted a huge weight off me.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:01 am

Oh Drac you are such a good soul. ♥ Getting old sucks big time!

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”