finally flowers

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

finally flowers

Postby mbday630 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:00 pm

This has to be the earliest that I have seen my daffodils blooming. We usually even have snow at this time of year. And yesterday I saw a big wild turkey in my yard, which is a first for me. Hopefully I can get my garden planted in the next month as my starters that I planted are ready to get a new home. I love spring. I love summer. I love birds. I love flowers. gosh, I love everything to do with summer/spring and warm. Just get me out of here in the cold!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: finally flowers

Postby draclvr » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:40 pm

mbday, you are a woman after my own heart! I'm even looking forward to pulling weeds in my emerging perennial beds tomorrow!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:43 am

The emergence of Spring and Spring flowers and beautiful birds give us all a new lease of life after the dreary Winter :cool:
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:09 am

The snow is mostly gone from our neighbourhood, bulbs are coming up and a pair of cardinals are feeding at our feeder. Ain't it great!
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:16 am

well darn it. Today it is snowing again. Hubby says he is not taking the snowblower off the tractor yet. Hopefully it won't accumulate or last very long.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:15 am

Bummer, about the snow flurries! Any day we have sunshine, I get out there and clean up the winter mess. Have all my small yard statues out, and the larger ones uncovered. Even have my wind chimes hung up under the balcony. Daffodils are in full bloom, and today I've spotted some pinkish tulips blooming. Can you tell I'm cheering Spring on?
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:43 am

Can imagine the delight you guys experience when your winter is finally over. While I envy you your definite 4 seasons, I realise that we have mild winters in comparison and longer summers too. Our Spring and Autumn (Fall) are normally about 3 weeks in total before the Summer/Winter sets in. This year it was two weeks from wearing summer cloths to wearing layers of cover ups. I well remember my dear late husband, Scot, coming here with a suitcase of clothing he soon realised he would never wear here and the first time he returned to the States he took all the heavy weather gear back with him. Two week later he was back with the same suitcase and, lo and behold, it was full of those wonderful soft thick toilet rolls (paper) you guys have!!! Have never forgotten how we laughed. He was, needless to say, not that impressed with the quality of the loo rolls in South Africa.
Enjoy your Spring everyone!!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:25 am

It's raining today and in the midst of the rain we just watched a massive snow flurry blowing sideways. Brrrr!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:36 pm

Val, one of the things that I missed most in Kenya was the Seasons. I dont miss that constant all-year round heat at all. I really love the Seasons here - well maybe the Sanday Summer does not compare at all with our Jersey Summers ha ha!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:53 pm

Just started snowing here and really blowing. If I were a flower, I'd be afraid...very afraid! :shock:
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:28 pm

yes, the flowers do look afraid. my daffodils are frozen and have their little blooms hanging. I just told hubby that in one month from today we could be seeing our baltimorioles so that cheers me up. one step at a time. at least the worst of winter is over. My brussel sprout plants are looking good - just waiting until they get big enough to plant in the garden.

btw, does anyone have a good recipe for pickled brussel sprouts?
draclvr
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:46 am

And another sign it must be spring - it's opening day of Cardinals baseball!

I've never used it, but I have this recipe saved in my recipe file.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/220205/zes ... s-sprouts/
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:43 pm

And there's always our favourite - Bubble and Squeak. Just mix leftover mashed potatoes and mashed cooked brussels sprouts together, pop in a frying pan and cook over low heat until a nice brown crust forms. Lovely!
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:57 pm

that sounds good Diat. Why do you call it that? Brussel sprouts is getting to be our favorite vegetable next to asparagus. The problem is - we never have left over brussel sprouts! I can make a meal out of them!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:14 pm

No idea, mbday, that's the British name for it and we've never known which is the bubble and which is the squeak. One of the British dishes I learned about when I married Brian. His other favourite is Bacon and Onion Roll (a pastry dish). Very unhealthy.

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”