It's my year to declutter

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

It's my year to declutter

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:14 pm

For 4 years now, I have tried to fit everything from my large Kenyan house into this little Orkney house, with very little success.

So this year is the year that I do something about it. If I have not used it since I moved here, then it goes. Luckily, we have a local Sanday Residents Facebook page, and so any items I dont want I advertise there - free to a good home, or a bad one, I don't care lol. I have already found new homes for a lot of "stuff" this week. I have also given the Audi to Jo (my friend and neighbour, and also my cleaner and helper), and also gave away my Ford Mondeo yesterday to a very grateful gentleman. Both are 1999 cars which can only be driven on Sanday, so they are not worth much at all. I would rather give them away to someone who can use them, than have them rusting away in my field.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Re: It's my year to declutter

Postby Kickaha » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:03 pm

Good for you RB!
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:13 pm

I'm so glad you gave those cars away if you didn't need them. so many people are appreciative of that kindness. I want to declutter to. so, I worked one day and cleaned out my cupboard with the dog treats/food in it. then I opened up my drawer of all my pens, pencils, little notepads, paperclips, scotch tape, etc. and immediately closed it. it was just too daunting. Baby steps for me. It takes a whole day to clean out one cupboard or drawer.

but, I am in that mood to declutter and hopefully after we get this house re-done with the new baseboards I will get on the bandwagon again and get it cleaned. Hopefully.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:30 pm

Don't forget the rule "if you haven't worn it or used in the last two years, it's out". But I'll bet you'll have many a nostalgic moment unearthing treasures of yesteryear.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:17 am

Good for you, Rosaboobie! And getting rid of the cars? The BEST thing ever... I would give anything to get my husband to declutter. But that will never happen. My rule goes out to 5 years, Diat! I've gone looking for something from 2 years ago too many times! I think hubby's rule is pushing 100 years...
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:22 am

Some of my drawers are a nightmare too, mbday. Yesterday I threw away all my "single" socks, and yes, there were loads lol. Then I went through my underwear drawer - everything old binned. Today I will do my shoes, cos I really only wear the same one or two pairs all the time. I have so many pairs of sandals from Kenya which I will never wear here. I will just keep a couple of pairs in case I ever get to go on this Indian holiday.

And it's true, this decluttering actually makes you feel really really good.

Drac, all my life I have hated throwing out things when there was still some life in them. So, like you, I am just so glad both those cars are going to their new owners this week. I even had the guy ring me up last night and asked me if I was serious about giving him the car, or had I changed my mind? I told him that, once I had cleared it out, hopefully today, I want it gone and quickly. He was so appreciative. :D
Boobie
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:00 am

I wish you all the best with your decluttering. I have been trying to declutter for the last two years, and have made good headway, but.. I swear clutter has never heard of birth control!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:03 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Boobie
draclvr
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:27 am

Stella, I think you have discovered what goes on in our drawers and closets at night! The best thing I ever did was buy drawer organizers for my socks and undies.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:15 pm

Me too, I have used these drawer organisers for many years now.
Boobie
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:03 pm

Ha! This must be our spring cleaning genes kicking in. I just took four boxes of kitchen stuff, clothes, and other odds and ends to our local Goodwill store today plus my old hallway rug. The rug is still in decent shape, but I've had it for so long and want something fresh and new.
There's no such thing as too many books!
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:10 pm

ah, is it spring cleaning genes? I am looking at color samples to paint my bathroom and living room (but, I have to wait to paint the living room until the baseboards are in and the new window) plus, I am going through a lot of my computer games and giving them away. I just want to simplify my life.

I just talked to my new neighbors today and introduced myself and they are gardeners like I am! they seem very nice and it will be nice to have someone around to take my surplus tomatoes or green beans. I like getting to know my neighbors! (as long as they are not annoying)
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:58 am

There is always a little trepidation where new neighbours are concerned, but I am glad they have the same interests as you, mbday, and that they are nice people.

I cant wait for this whole house to be redecorated - hopefully he will start next week, although I am not holding my breath ha ha! I sure hope I have chosen the right colour schemes, cos I am for sure not going through all this chaos and upset again. It took Jo and Jeff a whole morning just to push my lounge furniture into the middle of the room. It consists of the very heavy hardwood furniture I brought back from Kenya, all full to the gunwales lol, and so they had to be emptied first, then the furniture moved while empty, and then refilled again. Meanwhile I have the overspill of ornaments etc sitting all around my bedroom. Aaarrrggghhhhh, what a complete mess everywhere!
Boobie
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:18 pm

I understand what you're going through, RB. Yesterday I began the process of switching all the books and bookcases in my library (aka my smallest bedroom) with my craft stuff (5,000 rubber stamps and all my paper crafting paraphernalia) that I've had in my home office in my living/great room at the other end of the house. I want the mess I make when working on a project to be behind a closed door. However, right now I have 3 bookshelves worth of books on the dining room table and wherever else I could stack them, and my stamp cabinets and drawers are occupying the remaining limited space. Using a towel as a slider, my sister and I did manage to move the large and very heavy bookcase on which I keep the majority of my rubber stamp cubes with drawers last night, but I did have to take the top off my craft table in order to get it down the hall to the bedroom today. I'm working slowly, so it'll probably take the rest of the week to finish this, but it'll be worth it once I get it done.
There's no such thing as too many books!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:17 am

Oh dear, LadyK, seems you are suffering the same house chaos as me!

Mine will go on for weeks, IF the painter ever gets started, as he has to do the lounge, bedroom, hallway, house bathroom and utility :shock:
Boobie

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”