Our beautiful Cathedral

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Our beautiful Cathedral

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:18 pm

I cant wait to see this display, Diat, when I go into town in a couple of weeks time.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:18 pm

Thank you for posting all that information, Boobie. I understand the significance of the poppies but was amazed that the whole installation is made of ceramic. It must be quite a feat to move and reinstall them. I hope you'll be able to take pictures for us.
There's no such thing as too many books!
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:24 am

What a beautiful tribute for those who gave their lives during the war.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Tue May 03, 2016 4:07 am

A pair of collared doves which have nested in among the weeping window poppy display at St Magnus Cathedral have been attracting the crowds themselves. The doves have set up home in the display itself and have built a nest - much to the delight of folk coming to see the display. But there's now some concern that the birds won't be able to hatch their chicks before the display has to be dismantled on June 12th.
BBC Radio Orkney's photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boobie
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Tue May 03, 2016 9:01 am

Oh, my goodness! Maybe they will have to leave the display up for awhile while they raise their chicks.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Wed May 04, 2016 10:11 am

Hope they at least leave that little section which they are occupying!! What a wonderful contrast in that photo between the snow white dove and the scarlet poppies. :)
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Wed May 04, 2016 12:37 pm

I reckon the organisers will end up in a bit of a quandary over this, Val, as I believe this Weeping Window Display is moving on to another venue in the U.K.

Not to be outdone by the Doves' Nest, here is my answer to it - I call it the Blackbird Nest in a Bucket lol. Found in my utility this morning. I just knew a bird or birds had been in cos of the evidence left lying around!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boobie
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Thu May 05, 2016 6:58 am

It'll be rather ironic if they decide to dislodge the doves, the bird of peace, from the installation! Any sign your nest has been used, Rosa?
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Thu May 05, 2016 12:46 pm

Female blackbird was caught in the act still putting the finishing touches to it, Diat. Poor thing will have to start building its nest all over again now, but it would not have lasted long in the utility with Maloo around.

Note to self - remember to check car engine for starling nests every time I use the car. We have had loads of cars completely burnt out in Orkney because of this.
Boobie
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon May 30, 2016 5:42 am

Well, it's all happening in town tomorrow - the celebration of the 100th anniversary of The Battle of Jutland. BBC cameras will be there, and maybe Princess Anne, and many many military marching bands, including some from Germany. All the roads are closed already, and bomb squads are scouring the town with a fine tooth comb. We are not used to all this activity in our little insular world lol.

And of course I would have the misfortune of having a Hospital appointment in town tomorrow - it will be bedlam trying to get to my appointment and then back to the ferry, with all this going on, but hopefully I might see some of the military bands, which I love, and which always make me so emotional for some reason.
Boobie
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Tue May 31, 2016 1:47 am

Well, that's me off on the ferry into town for the dreaded endoscopy - I say "dreaded" because I cant even tolerate a toothbrush in my mouth these days - I am not looking forward to this procedure :cry:
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue May 31, 2016 8:50 am

Ah, but once it's over, maybe they will have some answers and can help you. Black Dahlia has this problem too.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Tue May 31, 2016 11:12 am

Brian had the same procedure last year and was very nervous beforehand about the probe down the throat, but was very pleasantly surprised to find he didn't feel a thing and it was over in no time. Hope Rosa has the same experience. And gets a chance to see the marching bands too.

BBC Scotland has a live Twitter commentary on the ceremonies there today with some pictures.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:16 am

No, Diat, I most certainly did not have the same experience as Brian. Suffice it to say, if asked to have another one done, I will decline or they can put me out for it - thats how bad I found it.

And boo hoo, I only saw one marching band briefly as I was almost running to get to the Hospital - by the time I came out 3 hours later, it was all over.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:45 am

I can't believe they didn't put you under for this procedure... It sounds kind of awful. Did they find anything amiss?

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”