A busy day yesterday!

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

A busy day yesterday!

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri May 13, 2016 6:38 am

I had a hospital appointment yesterday, so I left Sanday for the first time in a whole year and set off for town. I took my beautiful new car with me - first time I have ever driven a car onto a ferry in my life! - The car was stacked from floor to ceiling with dog beds, bedding, foam mattresses etc. as I am donating it all to a dog rescue centre on our sister island, Shapinsay - I could only see out of the front windscreen - it's a good job there are no policemen here! Transferred all the bedding into a friend's car on the quayside in Kirwall, then had one hour to spare before my hospital appointment. Rushed around and had new passport photos taken, then did some very quick shopping before I headed off for my hospital appointment.

Came out of hospital and then dashed to 2 of the local supermarkets, and did a huge grocery shop - I had to rush around as I only had 2 hours to get back to the ferry. Got to the ferry where masses of vehicles were waiting to get on to the Sanday ferry, and we had to be packed in like sardines - luckily my car is pretty narrow so they tucked me right into the side, and next to 2 huge haulage lorries. Anyway I managed to drive on and off the ferry with ease, and no mishaps lol.

Got home early evening, and I have never felt so shattered in my entire life - I was so tired it hurt. I didnt even have the strength to eat anything, and I had to wait up till 8 p.m. cos 2 dear friends of mine are leaving Sanday for good on Monday, and they wanted to pop in to say goodbye.

Now, I am an insomniac and I never sleep more than 3 hours a night - but last night I slept for 9 hours solid - but I was still up at my usual time of 6.30 a.m. And now today, because I bought so much dog food, I have had to do a dog cookathon. It is now midday, and I plan to do nothing else this afternoon but sit and read.

And to think, Drac probably has days like this every single day - I just dont know how she does it!
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Re: A busy day yesterday!

Postby Diat60 » Fri May 13, 2016 7:10 am

Seems like you've found the cure for your insomnia - just do the round trip to Kirkwall every day.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri May 13, 2016 7:34 am

Tell that to my fur babes - they hate being left "Home Alone" for just an hour - never mind a whole day, Diat!
Boobie
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Fri May 13, 2016 9:44 am

That made me exhausted just to read it, Rosaboobie! I definitely have many days just like it, but thankfully today is not one of them. Hoping things dry up enough after our inch of rain to till the garden and plant about 120 tomato plants tomorrow. I was supposed to work all day tomorrow at Longmeadow, but Linda let me off the hook so I could plant!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Fri May 13, 2016 7:45 pm

That was definitely a long and busy day, RB. I've had a couple of jam-packed days myself this week, mainly helping my cousin with the move to her new house. She had movers, but there was still lots of stuff that had to go in the cars and last-minute things that had to be done. Fortunately, her new house is only a mile or two from the one she's been renting, so I didn't have to drive far each time, but I do think I'm going to sleep well tonight.
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri May 13, 2016 8:46 pm

And I lied! They are forecasting a good chance for thundershowers tonight, so we worked up two of the gardens and planted 111 tomato plants. Both our backs were screaming when we got done! Went in town to get something to eat and had a couple of beers at the American Legion and feeling LOTS better now!

The one thing I hate to do is MOVE. But at least it sounds like you mostly had small stuff to get from the old place to the new place, LadyK. Just sounds like a lot of it!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat May 14, 2016 1:32 am

Moving has to be one of THE most traumatic and stressful things in our lives. I can assure you, after moving half way around the world twice, I am never moving from this house ever!
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat May 14, 2016 9:02 am

That's what I say too, Rosaboobie! They will drag my cold dead body out of this house! Of course as Dave is going to be 72 this summer and I'm going to be 69, we may no longer be able to keep up this 10 acres some day and I'll be eating those words!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sat May 14, 2016 12:26 pm

I think I may be odd man out here. I actually like moving! I look at the real estate listings and admire other kitchens, bathrooms, gardens, etc. Moving is a perfect opportunity to weed out accumulations of junk gathered over the years. New neighborhoods are interesting to explore. We've been in the same house for 10 years now and the only thing that's kept us here is its proximity to bus services and easy access to downtown (neither one of us drives). But I can feel myself getting restless again, so watch this space.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat May 14, 2016 1:00 pm

Good for you, Diat - you still have the nomadic urge!

I could not give up my wonderful view, after 4 years of admiring it. I can see the sea on 3 sides of the house - I am so very lucky to have found such a vista.

Of course we dont talk about the fact that my conservatory overlooks what looks like a cross between a South African shanty town and a very untidy gypsy encampment ha ha.
Boobie
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sat May 14, 2016 5:44 pm

Perhaps it's time to hang a curtain on that side of the conservatory! Then you could pretend it wasn't there. Just how close is this "vista" anyway?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat May 14, 2016 6:00 pm

I'd have some lovely tall grasses planted that could withstand the winds, but still block the "view!"
skeeter
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Postby skeeter » Sat May 14, 2016 7:38 pm

I'm tired just reading about it!
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues."
— Terry Pratchett
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun May 15, 2016 1:39 am

Diat, there is just a small field between us :cry:

Nothing tall ever survives here, Drac, not even grasses. And if I block off this blot on the landscape, I also block off the beautiful sea view beyond. I really must post some photos to show you. Even in Kilifi, where the Africans were dirt poor, I never experienced this kind of thing.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun May 15, 2016 8:44 am

Well, that's awful... I thought maybe the tall grasses would survive your winds. It's too bad you don't have what we call zoning laws like we do here in my county. And, of course, an agency to enforce them.

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”