Dinner Guests

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Dinner Guests

Postby JKEerie » Sun May 15, 2016 10:04 pm

Today while enjoying our dinner, I glanced outside and noticed we had visitors. I knew that two of the "neighborhood" geese had babies, but I knew nothing about the ducks. I apologize for the quality of the pics taken by my android phone, but this will give you an idea of why we were so surprised. The geese have five babies. You can see them in the second photo by the tree and in the third photo near the pond. The ducks have 10 babies. I have bird feeders up and with all the high winds we've had, a lot of the seed as fallen to the ground. So, the ducks discovered this last year (I actually would go out occasionally while they were at the pond edge and throw down some seed. As soon as I went inside they'd waddle up to enjoy themselves.) Anyway, I normally chase the geese from the yard, but with the babies, I'll allow it. Anyway, I just wanted to share the pics of my neighbors.
Android photos 025 smal.jpg

Android photos 026small.jpg

Android photos 027small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Dinner Guests

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon May 16, 2016 12:53 am

No wonder you have these visitors - you live very close to a river, JK?
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Mon May 16, 2016 6:19 am

Nice pics, I love seeing wildlife up close. You forgot to take a picture of the "JKEerie's Restaurant" sign!
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Mon May 16, 2016 10:00 am

That was a nice surprise. I love to watch those waddling fluff balls. My sister-in-law now has both signets and ducklings in the lagoon behind her house.
There's no such thing as too many books!
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby JKEerie » Mon May 16, 2016 10:38 am

The ducks were back again this morning for breakfast! In answer to your question, Rosy, the house I bought when I moved back to NY was part of a development around a pond. So, this is my back yard! I have one of only two trees left in the development. My neighbor has the other. I had to take two trees down in 2014 as one was totally dead and the other not far from it. The one left standing is in decent shape according to the tree guy. Anyway...the folks that sold me the house had a bird feeder up so I have added more to diversify the feed to attract different birds. Everyone around the pond contributes annually to pond maintenance to keep it in good shape. It is also stocked with bass so folks, particularly the neighborhood kids, can fish during the summer. There is a catch and release policy. The only ones who don't comply are the herons that come in and feed at the pond. It is lovely sitting out on the back patio with a glass of wine and enjoy...watching the pond activity. Most of the neighbors are quiet, with only the occasional loud music when folks have outdoor gatherings.
Android photos 003 small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon May 16, 2016 12:33 pm

How lovely, to have a development situated around a pond, JK - Always something different to look at.
Boobie
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby JKEerie » Mon May 16, 2016 5:20 pm

I was very fortunate to find this house, Rosy. It was more expensive than I initially targeted giving me a higher mortgage in my retirement than initially planned. It's perfect, though, for Mom and I, big enough for the two of us and for entertaining the family on holidays and it was a newer home as well...only 5 years old when I bought it. The pond activity gives us plenty of entertainment between the birds and the neighbors. Sometimes I wish I had your vistas, but I guess you can't have everything.
Winfrey
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Winfrey » Tue May 17, 2016 8:59 am

We have ponds and have enjoyed watching the parade of babies over the years... one morning we watched mom and dad with about 4 babies behind them... then another mom and dad with babies behind them walking from one pond to another..... but I must say after about 5 years I counted 100 geese flying from one pond to another....
getting slightly out of control....
------------
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see
Henry David Thoreau]
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Tue May 17, 2016 10:13 am

Lovely! I lived for 20 odd years on the edge of a inland lake here. My kids grew up sailing, windsurfing, fishing and loving wildlife. I miss those days. Still remember the flocks of flamingos flying past at sunset and the neon pink of their under wings flashing with the black top wings making such a spectacle. :)
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Tue May 17, 2016 12:32 pm

That must have been a lovely sight, Val - I love flamingoes :cool:
Boobie
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Wed May 18, 2016 1:28 am

Me too RB! They disappeared for awhile but made a welcome appearance some years back thank goodness.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby JKEerie » Fri May 20, 2016 1:08 pm

Well...nature can be quite cruel. Mama duck has been regularly coming to the yard to feed. I actually counted 11 ducklings versus the 10 I initially thought. Well, this afternoon she and the Mister arrived with only 10 ducklings and one of them was a bit gimpy as it walked. They were feeding in the shade of the tall tree when suddenly, they all bolted for the pond as fast as they could. Sure enough a big hawk had swooped down on them. It went up into the tall tree and I dashed outside broom in hand to scare it, but it was already making another dive at the ducks in the pond. Mama and papa reared up and flapped their wings and the hawk flew away. Now I know what likely happened to number eleven and why one was a bit gimpy. :cry:
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Fri May 20, 2016 1:33 pm

Yup, mother nature is cruel. The hawk could easily be feeding chicks in a nest somewhere too.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Fri May 20, 2016 2:17 pm

Gulls can take out young waterfowl as well. It's difficult to watch, but they all have babies to feed.
There's no such thing as too many books!
draclvr
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Fri May 20, 2016 2:51 pm

And there are dangers from below too - some turtles will go after them.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”