Memorial Day

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Memorial Day

Postby draclvr » Mon May 30, 2016 8:28 am

This is Memorial Day in the US. It's a day we take to remember and honor all our fallen servicemen and women. Our American Legion Post is the last town in Missouri to still have a full parade through our little town. After the parade, we have a service and then the Auxiliary serves fried chicken and pork steak dinners in the lower level. I will be leaving shortly to get my bar ready as I tend bar downstairs. My husband has been up there since 7:00 this morning as he and his crew do all the fried chicken - I think he said he has 35 chickens to do. A bunch of them made all the potato salads, cole slaws, baked beans and other side dishes yesterday. My husband always heads up the flag detail too, so yesterday they went to all the cemeteries and placed flags on the veteran's graves - from the civil war on up. We try to get as many youngsters involved as possible so they learn what service to our country is all about. This is Jasper placing a flag on a grave yesterday morning. While Memorial Day also signals the beginning of summer and involves family get-togethers and BBQs and a 3 day weekend, we also want them to know there is more to it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Memorial Day

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon May 30, 2016 8:35 am

It's wonderful that your town, and in particular your Legion, partcipates in this magnificent event. You and hubby are going to be exhausted after today is over!
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Mon May 30, 2016 8:47 am

I'm putting the finishing touches on my dessert - all Auxiliary members bring a dessert to serve too. I made a pan of walnut brownies, covered it with a combination of cream cheese, whipped cream and sour cream and put in the refrigerator last night. This morning I'm topping with some of the 20 quarts of strawberries I've frozen already in a glaze. I just threw this together with things I already had here - if it's as good as it looks, I might have to turn it into a recipe!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Mon May 30, 2016 11:33 am

Your Brownie dessert sounds great - I love cream cheese frosting! Is Memorial Day the same as our Remembrance Sunday or do you have both days?
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby mbday630 » Mon May 30, 2016 12:17 pm

I would love that recipe Drac if you ever get it figured out.

So many people in the US make this day special. My first husband was a war veteran and every year they would have flags on the graves of the war veterans. It always made me so happy to see that. I get emotional over this day, as so many good people lost life or loved ones and if WE COULD ALL JUST GET ALONG. I know that is impossible, but, war is such a stupid thing.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Mon May 30, 2016 12:39 pm

Diat60 wrote:Is Memorial Day the same as our Remembrance Sunday or do you have both days?

Yes, our Memorial Day is the same as Remembrance Day. Members of my late husband's brigade still put cards at the Vietnam memorial wall every year on Memorial Day. It was a tradition that he and a buddy started years ago.
There's no such thing as too many books!

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”