World's Best Grandma!

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

World's Best Grandma!

Postby draclvr » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:00 am

Yup, that was me yesterday! I've had my granddaughter since May 31st, then the rest of the family for a week and after they went back to Denver Saturday, my 12 year old grandson Frank spent his first 3 days by himself with Grandpa and Grandma on the farm. He was apprehensive about flying by himself the first time, so I bought 3 tickets for us and flew back to Colorado with him and directly back to St. Louis.

Frank and I left here about 11:15 am yesterday morning and got to the airport at 12:30. I’ve been using Southwest Airlines because their terminal is not nearly as huge as the main one in St. Louis. The nice little small Southwest terminal was a complete nightmare! First, the parking garage was full and they directed me to one of the terminal shuttle lots a couple of miles away and we had to catch a shuttle back to the terminal. Then we walked in and it looked like the Denver security lines on Monday morning! Well, on a much smaller scale... First TSA guy was kind of a chubby doofus and he looked at our boarding passes and said because Frank was 12 or under we could use the shorter pre-check line. I thought that was strange, but whatever – Frank and I were congratulating ourselves on him being “special” getting us the shorter line. Ummm... no. You really had to have the pre-screening etc., so we got sent back to the other line. We went to the first guy and said that wouldn’t work and he let us cut in line. It moved pretty quickly and we were probably through in less than 30 minutes.

THEN we get on the plane and the pilot is literally firing up the engines to pull out when he says, “Oops!” NOT a good sign, right? He tells us someone’s hat got sucked into the air conditioner intake and maintenance would have to fish it out. So about 30 minutes later he says, “Well, they can see it, but they need some kind of long poley thing with a hook on the end. We don’t stock those, so I guess they’ll have to go to Wal Mart! Ha, Ha, I’m just kidding... they’ll be right back with a long poley thing with a hook shortly.” He asked that there be no Youtube videos of this screw up! He was pretty funny. So, finally 40 minutes later we take off.

I was supposed to have a 1 hour layover to catch my plane back to St. Louis, so this was REALLY cutting it short. Brian had gotten a pass to go through security so he could meet us at the gate. He had found out my gate for the return flight, so we literally flew down there! It was only 6 gates away, but in Denver, that’s a long way! They had already boarded the plane, but the door was still open so the guy scanned my boarding pass and I was the last one on! Easy 1 hour 50 minute flight to St. Louis, but then I had to catch a shuttle to this other parking lot. Finally got home about 10:00 last night!

Whew!

Now, I have one day to do a bit of cleaning before we pick up Günter and Petra coming from Germany at the airport tomorrow. I told Petra, “You will get clean sheets and I’ll make sure the bathrooms are clean, but the rest of the house will be the aftermath of the Buddenhagens! Jeannine/Drac is a tired old woman! They will be here for 3 1/2 weeks - just call our house a B & B in the summer!

A picture of Frank with Bonita, one of the kittens.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Re: World's Best Grandma!

Postby Diat60 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:36 am

Definitely you're gold medal material, Drac! Isn't it just the way when we think something like your trip can be a quick "there and back" it never is. The gods of misfortune are always looking down and going "heh, heh, heh".
Sounds like you have a full summer ahead of you. Your grandson is a handsome lad and the kitten is just beautiful.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:41 pm

The best laid plans, eh? I am exhausted just reading about your adventure. That's a lovely photo of Frank too.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:15 pm

I slept until 9:15 this morning which is very unusual for me!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:08 pm

Wow! Just shows how tired you were!
Boobie
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:04 pm

wow, what a harrowing day. I'm glad everything turned out. I am having a grandma week this week too - babysitting for my grandson while his mom works at a horse farm/camp this week. then hubby is leaving to visit my daughter this weekend so I am babysitting 2 kids while he is gone the first week. but, you know, for me at least, that is what keeps me young. I love dealing with the grandkids.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:09 pm

That was definitely an exhausting adventure, Drac. I'm glad the hat was only in the AC intake and not the engine or you would have missed your connecting flight completely.

That photo is a real keeper! :thumleft:
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:20 pm

I do too, mbday... absolutely love it! But after two weeks, I'm exhausted!

I do love that photo, LadyK. He is going to be a heart breaker with the ladies some day! He has SAD - Social Anxiety Disorder - so it takes him a bit longer in strange situations and he is not comfortable with strangers. But he is getting better and better every year. My Dave is SO good with him - he does things like take him to Elmer's Tavern, an ancient old wood floored bar full of guys. This is TOTALLY out of his comfort level. But as soon as Frank indicates he is getting uncomfortable, Dave brings him home. This year when they stopped by Elmer's, he laughed when the guys teased him and talked with them and even asked questions. I've got a feeling he is going to grow out of this sooner rather than later. As handsome as he is with those gorgeous eyes, the girls are going to love him!
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:05 am

Whew that must have been harrowing Drac! Had a chuckle at the hat in the intake drama! :) Your grandson is a lovely young lad.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:52 am

What a handsome Grandson!

My youngest daughter has had her baby, has named him Dylan Michael, and that makes 4 Grandsons for me.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:19 pm

Congratulations Stella :cheers:

Do all your children live near you?
Boobie
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:19 pm

Congrats Stella! Grandsons are great. I really think boys are easier to watch than girls. But girls are easier to potty train. I am not getting anywhere with this grandson I have been watching all week. I even told him to pee outside as most boys love to do that but nothing makes him want to pee or poop in anything but his diaper. argh.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:36 pm

David and Kati live fairly close to me. Jen lives in North Carolina.

Did my boy potty training over a summer. Had the greenest lawn in the county.

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”