Devastated!

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Devastated!

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:23 pm

Simply devastated and shocked as to what has happened in the UK today. How can such an importand decision of remaining or leaving the EU rest on the shoulders of people who I believe were totally misinformed from the start? And with such a miniscule majority??

Even more devastating is the fact that Trump is on his way to Scotland, and neighbouring people have surrounded his golf course with Mexican flags everywhere :D :D :D

EDIT: I have just found this too - to make you laugh!

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2016/06/24/ ... iachi-band
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Devastated!

Postby draclvr » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:30 pm

I read about Trump's neighbors putting up Mexican flags yesterday - did my heart good to see it!

It will be interesting to see how all this shakes out with the EU. I also read that those in Scotland who wanted to leave are now making noise about another vote.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:49 pm

Yes, I think that another Referendum is on the cards in Scotland for independence. I voted against independence last time, but for sure will be changing my vote this time around. Very worrying times!
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:07 pm

Considering that we have UK based pensions and the pound is dropping rapidly, we're not too happy with this either! We have cousins in England who voted "Leave" and we tried to convince them not to several times but to no avail. I think people have unrealistic expectations of what leaving will mean, i.e. no more immigration, more jobs, higher wages, lower prices - although no one has outlined how this could possibly come about. Also, the exit will take at least two years to come about so there will be no immediate change, except we'll lose an able Prime Minister.

One possible bright spot is that there won't be any more need for UKIP and, hopefully, we can bid farewell to the dreadful Mr. Farrage!

BTW, I'm sending your mariachi band pic to my son!
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:34 pm

The types of folks that voted to leave in the UK are the same type that will vote for Donald Trump in this country. Just like you suggested, Rosy and Diat, they voted out of protest without really thinking of the consequences. That's the way it works in today's politics...you point the fingers at someone or something that is at fault for your lot in life...and that blame is enough to get folks to cast a vote in your direction. Never mind having actual solutions to the problems that exist.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Postby Kickaha » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:06 am

There's a complete disconnect between the political establishment and the general population in many countries, not just the UK. I don't trust any politician, what they say isn't what they will do. Cameron was stupid to have the referendum, to give the 'proles' their chance to actually change something which normally elections prevent.

As to what happens now we'll see - the only certainty is change. The markets will fluctuate for a bit then stabilise. What interests me about all this is despite having the wonders of the Internet there's very little communication going on between different people. Perhaps there's just too much noise.
draclvr
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:33 am

JKEerie, you are so right. So much of this has to do with the extreme ethnic nationalism that pervades our countries. I do believe the politicians have made their own beds in both our countries by lying to the people for decades. The Republicans promised the religious right they could bring about all the social policies they wanted, knowing full well it was impossible with a Democrat in the White House. They promised the right they could make sweeping changes to economic policy... all in the name of getting votes. It's no wonder people are finally fed up.

Unfortunately, in the UK they reacted by voting to leave the EU; in the US they reacted by nomination the likes of The Orange One as their presidential candidate.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”