Our changeable Sanday weather!

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Our changeable Sanday weather!

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:49 am

We are experiencing a variety of weather conditions. First on Tuesday it was SO hot here that it melted the tarmac on our roads - I kid you not - and then the very next day we had such a violent storm that it knocked out half the phones and routers on the Island. I did not like the extreme heat one bit!
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
Winfrey
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Gemini

Re: Our changeable Sanday weather!

Postby Winfrey » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:32 am

:shock: Just been hot here... he!at index of 110 today!!! Makes it difficult to be out with the horsees
------------
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see
Henry David Thoreau]
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:51 am

OMG, I would not be able to cope with such high temperatures, Winfrey - much prefer the harsh Orkney climate to extreme heat!
Boobie
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:23 am

Apparently we're in something called a "heat dome" and can look forward to 6 days of temps in the 30's with very high humidity and no rain to relieve it. Thank heavens for air conditioning.
Lucien21
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Lucien21 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:12 pm

I think you mean changeable Scottish weather. It's always like this 4 seasons in one day.

Tuesday was great, got my grass cut, did some weeding, sat out in the sun with my Kindle.

Wednesday I parked the car about a 20 min walk from the office just as the thunder and lightning started, then the heavens opened and I was like a drowned rat by the time I got to work. My shoes were squelching all day.

Rest of the week has been changable. It's sunny and humid at the moment.

It's training for my upcoming holibobs in Florida at the end of next month.
Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable.
—Anorak’s Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1–2
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:55 pm

Florida is not a place I want to be in the summer, Lucien, but you seem to go every year. My sister-in-law and her husband just bought a vacation home on the west coast of FL, but if I go down for a visit, it'll be to get away from the winter cold. It's hot and muggy enough for me here in New Jersey in the summer.
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:53 am

Well, 20 degrees on Sanday is considered a heatwave, and no, I would not like Florida.
Boobie
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:36 am

So, how hot WAS it that it melted the tarmac? Curious to know what temps can do that.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:35 am

Keep on gloating you lot! Rain all week and my house is garlanded with wet washing hanging everywhere. Forecast today was for cloudy but no rain - however persistent drizzles throughout the day meant bringing it in from the line. My seldom used dryer is on the blink - must get that seen to before next winter!! Temperature at the moment is 10 degrees C(50F) so the oil heater is on in the sitting room with more clothes in front. Need to dry my nightie before I go to bed. :) My favourite one so use it constantly. Ok know that is nothing compared to you guys, but bear in mind we do not have central heating here. :D

We need the water as we have had a very dry winter for us, so cannot complain. Good news is that they are laying fibre optic cable in my neighbourhood as I type ... bad news is whether I can afford to use it when it is functional! Ah well!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:04 am

Val, I have fond? memories of the days before electric dryers were common. Like you, washing strung up and down the hall and across the kitchen in bad weather. In winter hanging out wet wash that went as stiff as a board in no time, but somehow managed to dry somewhat, then bringing it all in and (wait for it) stringing it up and down the hall and across the kitchen! On the plus side, our washing always smelled of the outdoors and, in winter, the frost bleached the whites beautifully.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:46 am

My husband was born in Beloit, Wisconsin in December, and my mother-in-law used to talk about beating his cloth diapers with a stick to get the ice off of them.

Ice doesn't stand a chance today. It's 90º F. in the shade today here in New Jersey.
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:06 pm

Oh my LadyK! We seldom experience frost never mind ice! Temperatures here in the Cape seldom reach below 7 celcius.The higher mountain tops get some snow but normally burns off before days end.

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”