Canning tomatoes

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

Canning tomatoes

Postby mbday630 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:57 pm

I am canning a bunch of tomatoes tomorrow with my DIL who wants me to teach her how to can. I never cored the tomatoes first before blanching but my friend said that it goes much faster if I core them first. Does anyone have any ideas of the fastest way to blanch tomatoes before peeling? It should be a fun day of showing her the ropes of this and she appreciates all the tips and tricks that I can give her. I think we will get about 12 quarts of tomatoes tomorrow (nothing like Drac's tomatoes!)
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Re: Canning tomatoes

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:49 am

The Tomato Queen can answer all your questions :cheers:
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:18 pm

We are having our 18th Annual Salsa Party tomorrow and will be blanching and canning several hundred pounds of tomatoes!

It depends on the tomatoes... My big slicers don't need to be cored as there is no white flesh. Mostly we'll be doing the salsa tomatoes which are two varieties of meaty tomatoes called Mama Leone and a polish heirloom called Opalka. Those can have a small white core, but we never remove it first as it would waste an enormous amount of time. When the skins just barely start splitting Dave dumps the tomatoes in a big galvanized tub filled with ice water surrounded by several people who slip the skins off and quickly take any core that might be there out. The tomatoes are cut in halves or quarters if they're big and then drained briefly. At this point we have our first "quality control" where one of us checks for any pieces of white core that might have been missed. Then we either briefly pulse them in a food processor for chunky salsa or puree them for pizza and spaghetti sauce.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:57 pm

OMG. your method is way more advanced than mine. But, we gotterdone. I cored the tomatoes, she put them in the boiling water and then put them in the ice bath and we have 9 quarts of tomatoes. plus, we babysat for 4 kids during this so I think we get extra points.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:33 pm

I think you get DOUBLE extra points, mbday!!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:53 am

I canned 5 quarts of tomato juice yesterday and for the first time in my life used a food mill to do it. It is so much easier! I am going to do it that way from now on. I hope I made it hot enough. I always add a bunch of my hot peppers while it is cooking up. My kids like it hot. My tomatoes got the blight again, so, I probably won't get too many more tomatoes this year.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:59 am

I fight the early blight every year... the only way to avoid it is not not plant tomatoes or potatoes in the same place for at least 3 - 5 years and the fungus lives in the soil. I did tackle it this year though and sprayed them every single week with a fungicide. It kept it at bay until I had to quit because the tomatoes were starting to ripen.

I have two huge gardens - to finally be reduced next year according to hubby - and am able to rotate every 3 years, but it doesn't seem to help much.

I'm doing tomato sauce today. I take all the tomatoes with a bad spot or a gnarly bottom and wash them really well. Then I core and stem and cut into big chunks - skin and all - and throw it all into a pot to simmer away for 3 or 4 hours to reduce it by about 1/3. Then I put it all through a food mill to get out the seeds and skins. Then I just can it with salt in the jars. Sometimes I throw in a whole head or garlic, a bunch of celery, a bunch of carrots and a couple of big onions and let the whole thing simmer together to make veggie juice.

Good stuff!
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:33 am

ah, I should have put garlic in it too. that is about how I did it too. I don't have the option of rotating my garden, it is stuck in the same place year after year. it is only about 30 x 20 ft so not very large. I always spray in the beginning of the year and they looked good for a while - but, once the blight takes over, it is too late. plus we have had quite a bit of rain and I think that it washes off the spray. but at least I got a few quarts. My son is coming over tomorrow to do a taste test and to let me know if he likes it this food mill way (it is much thicker) or my old way of through the strainer.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:39 am

I've thought about investing in a food mill... let me know what he thinks!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:04 pm

What is a food mill?
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:30 pm

I use the silver hand cranked one. But I've been looking at the electric one to make the job easier!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:31 pm

Ah yes, should have known - need to get one of those.
Boobie
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:15 pm

I just use the hand cranked one, but, that works good for my simple 6 quarts of tomato juice. My son came over and did a taste test and he said that he liked this batch better as it wasn't so thin as when I do it through the strainer. so, it looks like I will be using the food mill method of making tomato juice from now on. plus it is so much faster. I was wondering - do you think I ever need to core them before I cook them and put them through the food mill? it seems to keep the peelings and seeds out so I was thinking it would save me even more time if I didn't have to core them.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:39 pm

The only thing I take out is the big white cores. If they don't have those, I just leave them. It all cooks down and the food mill gets rid of them.

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”