Happy Thanksgiving in the US!

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Happy Thanksgiving in the US!

Postby draclvr » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:24 pm

It's just me and hubby, 14 pounds of turkey and a couple of bottles of wine. Well, I did make pumpkin pie, dressing and will be heading for the kitchen later to do roasted Brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes. But now it's time for my other tradition - open the wine and have a listen to Alice's Restaurant! What are the rest of you folks in the US doing for Thanksgiving?

Hubby and I dearly love our day just to ourselves!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Re: Happy Thanksgivine in the US!

Postby LadyKestrel » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:28 pm

I've had a jam-packed week, Drac. Wednesday, I took the bus up to NYC to have lunch and to see the wonderful revival of Irving Berlin's Holiday Inn. Yesterday, my sis-in-law had a big sit-down dinner for 17 with turkey and all the trimmings plus 5 pies and a chocolate mousse cake, and today we had a birthday party for my sister at a cousin's house. I don't need to eat anything for another week. :snorting:
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!
draclvr

Re: Happy Thanksgiving in the US!

Postby draclvr » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:04 pm

Holy cow! You have definitely had a "full" week!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Winfrey
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Winfrey » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:52 am

We rode and played with the horses on Thanksgiving.. on Friday we celebrated with family..20+ had a wonderful day of eating and enjoying having the family all together at the same time. The babies are growing up so fast!!!
------------
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see
Henry David Thoreau]
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:39 am

Sounds like a perfect Thanksgiving to me! Which reminds me... we need pictures of the finished barn!
Winfrey
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Winfrey » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:05 am

lol...They are coming soon!! I was just thinking about it..... we are 99% ready horses should be home soon... holidays got in the way. Looks good though! we didn't realize what a mess putting in a new fence and taking the old one down... lots of holes to fill.
------------
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see
Henry David Thoreau]
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:22 pm

I have been cooking all week it seems. My brother, Tom, came for a visit from NYC. He hasn't been home in 3 years! So, picked him up at the airport on Tuesday a.m. and took him grocery shopping with me. He eats a primal diet so lots of eggs, bacon, protein, etc. Mom really had a nice reunion with him. We had grilled steaks on Tuesday. Wednesday, I made him a big breakfast. We watched movies together. He's a screenplay writer and strength trainer, so he would pause the movies at certain points to discuss the timing of various plot points. Very interesting. I made the turkey stuffing Wednesday while we watched. Then I cooked a roast pork with sauerkraut for dinner.

Thursday was Thanksgiving with my 3 brothers, my SIL and nephew, and of course Mom and I. I cooked two birds...a 16 pounder and a 13 pound...as my family are all carnivores. Mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, carrots, cauliflower and snow peas, salad and cranberry sauce. It was all good and my bros got a share of the leftovers.

Friday my nieces and nephew came over, along with the crew from Thanksgiving for a game night. We had pizza and wings and desserts that my nieces made. While we played grown up games, my great nephew, Collin, who is 8 played "The Nutcracker" on my laptop. He asks to play it every year and I am happy to oblige. He asked for my help only once...so I think he's remembering a lot from previous years. My other great nephew, Ethan, was down in Virginia hunting deer with his Dad. He's 10 and got his first 3 point buck! It was a great time with the family. Tom did a lot of catching up. I took him to the airport early this a.m. Hoping he doesn't wait another 3 years to visit.

BTW...Tom and I had a training session earlier on Friday with free weights and my bowflex. He really stresses form so you do the exercises correctly. Anyway...today I can't move.

So...it was a great holiday! Now have to gear up for my Mom's 90th birthday on December 9. The gang will be over for a small celebration. Then there is Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:32 pm

Oh, wow... That sounds like so much fun. I can only imagine how much your mother enjoyed it!
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:01 pm

She was happy to have him home, Drac...and really enjoyed all the laughter and merriment. Her 90th is supposed to be a "surprise" and today she said, "what did they mean when they said see you in 2 weeks?" Not sure who spilled the beans but I deflected it with ..."maybe they think Christmas is in 2 weeks. Lord help me if it is...I have too much to do!" She didn't follow up...so I'm hoping she stops thinking about it.
skeeter
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Postby skeeter » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:35 pm

Happy thanksgiving to everyone!
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues."
— Terry Pratchett
Melia
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Aquarius

Postby Melia » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:09 pm

I haven't posted here for quite a while, but I have been reading the posts. I thought I'd wish all of you a belated Happy Thanksgiving, too. We ate and ate on Thursday, then went to the Renaissance Festival near Houston on Friday and ate and drank our way through the park. At 7:20 PM ( boy was it cold!) the fire dancing show happened. It's a group that's called Solar Rain and they're magnificent! Our daughter put the group together and manages it....and is one of the star performers. The 'huzza!' from the audience is so great to hear. I've been to Renaissance Festivals where the fire dancers are a disparate group of people who do their own thing, and ask for tips when they perform. THIS production is choreographed to perfection, combining grace from the women, strength from the men, and music that backs up their performances. (I guess I'm going overboard here, but I'm her proud Mom. The group is very united and work together so well. And she's the one who did this.) Anyway, leftovers at home, food and drink at the festival, and I refuse to weigh myself until I get back to my more normal eating habits. I don't want to see what I've gained!
I have this theory that chocolate slows down the aging process.
It may not be true, but do I dare take the chance? :shock:
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:59 pm

So nice to see you here, Melia! Sounds like you have good reason to be proud of your daughter!

I lost quite a bit of weight over the summer and fall with all my health issues and I'm just hoping I haven't gained any of it back - scared to weigh myself!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:30 am

It's really lovely to read all about how you all celebrated Thanksgiving - I can remember being in Canada for Thanksgiving once, but I think they celebrate on a different date?

Talking of weight, I managed to lose 20 lbs before I went on my Indian holiday and I tentatively weighed myself on Friday at the Doctor's Surgery - yay I have only gained 1 lb. in the 3 weeks I was away, so I am well pleased with that. It just shows that eating Indian food 3 times a day is healthy for you.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:02 am

Yes, Thanksgiving in Canada is celebrated on October 10.
Melia
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Aquarius

Postby Melia » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:30 pm

I love Indian food Rosa. Our granddaughters - ages 6 and 3 - will eat their veggies when seasoned with Indian spices and curries but not any other way. I have to admit they have good taste.
I have this theory that chocolate slows down the aging process.

It may not be true, but do I dare take the chance? :shock:

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”