Crock Pot

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Cancer

Crock Pot

Postby Stella » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:18 am

Does anyone here use a crock pot? Like it? I'm thinking about getting one, have only ever used my oven for cooking, but wonder if it's worth it, or just another gizmo to collect. :scratch:
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Re: Crock Pot

Postby mbday630 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:07 am

I use mine a few times a year. In fact, my friend just told me a trick to try on it last night. I had always just put everything in the crockpot and let it simmer but she said that she put her potatoes in a large measuring cup with a little oil and set it inside the crockpot and put her chicken around the cup and cooked it like that. Her potatoes didn't get mushy from the chicken juice. So, I was planning on using my crockpot in the next few days and try that trick.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:08 am

I use a crock pot all the time. I don't put stuffing in a turkey after I did one with no stuffing and kept suctioning out bloody juice - no way I want that in my dressing. I do it in a crock pot. I did a breakfast for 35 people down at the Rescue Ranch yesterday. I did my scrambled eggs in the microwave - 5 dozen of them - and then put them in a greased crockpot to keep hot and serve. I made my sausage gravy in a crock pot and I also did my Cinnamon Red Hots Spiced Apples in a crock pot. The rest were all casseroles in the oven.

Here is a crock pot recipe for chicken and dumplings. One of my granddaughter's favorites is a pork loin in the crock pot done with teriyaki sauce. There are gazillions of recipes on the internet!

http://www.spendwithpennies.com/crock-p ... dumplings/
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:34 pm

I use my crock pot quite a bit as well. I'll use it to cook a top round roast. I'll use it for chili or beef stew. The best trick I learned was to cook my ribs in one. I put a nice rub on them, then put them in the crock pot on high. I just let them go. Sometimes I'll sauce them in the pot. Other times, I pull the ribs out and finish them with the sauce on either the grill or in the oven...to give them that nice crispy sauce texture. They are so tender, they just fall off the bone!

I bought two Farberware three crock slow cookers a couple of years ago. It's basically 3 x 1.5 qt crock pots in a single unit. Absolutely fabulous for entertaining. At Thanksgiving and Christmas, I'll put the food in those on warm and it keeps everything nice for folks to just fill their plates and then sit at the table and eat. It comes with these attachments to hold the pot lids while you're serving, so you don't have to worry about where to put those. Of course, you could cook three dishes in them as well and then just keep them on warm when it comes time to serve. The neat thing is, when I bought them...I did an internet search and found them on Walmart on sale for only $34.99 each. Sure beats using Sterno or keeping things warm in the oven. My niece's husband tried to hustle me out of one on Christmas Eve to give to my niece as she entertains quite a bit.

So...crock pots are terrific and can make things a lot easier in the kitchen.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:36 pm

O k, sounds good. After hearing what you had to say about crock pots, and looking at some recipes, I'll get one next trip to the store. Thanks!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:55 am

If that is what we here in the UK call a slow cooker, then the answer is yes - I use mine almost every single week - I have a large one that I use to batch cook my meals, and then freeze them into individual meals.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:02 am

I use a pressure cooker - have done so for years. So I haven't found a need for a crock pot. :)
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:23 am

Slow cooker, pressure cooker, crock pot; looks like they all do the same job. Found a cute little red one, and I think I'll try a roast first.
draclvr
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:50 am

I use a pressure cooker a lot too. But for some things, only a crock pot will do. Some of the absolutely yummy chicken breast meals on Facebook would not work in a pressure cooker because the sauce is made along with the meat. I tried once and there is something about the pressure that breaks down the sauce.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/215033/jen ... r-chicken/
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:13 pm

The chicken recipes are what started me thinking about getting a crock pot! :D Wrote down above recipe, sounds very good, thanks. :)
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:49 pm

Years ago when I was working, I used a crock pot once in a while to make stew. I don't even have one now.
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”