Scary?

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Scary?

Postby Diat60 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:42 pm

Hydro Ottawa had to replace a pole at the back of our garden today and I thought you might like to see what flew over our house. Talk about watching with all fingers crossed! We were very impressed with the delicacy and accuracy with which the pole was put in place, particularly since it had to come down through a big cedar tree, which they managed with only cutting a few branches.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Re: Scary?

Postby JKEerie » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:03 pm

That is scary. Glad it was controlled. Unfortunately, we had some very scary high winds today where I live. There are only two tall trees left in our development. One is in my yard and the other in my neighbor's. Unfortunately, his blew down...but it landed on my house. Some damage, but it could have been a lot worse. (And since it was an "act of God" it falls to my homeowner's insurance...and I just raised my deductible last year since I've never had a claim. :cry: Oh well...) But I digress. I watched in horror as my own tree, which is quite a bit bigger, swayed in the high winds. :shock: This time, it was swaying from the base...and you could see the ground beneath heave when it did. Tomorrow, when the guys come to get the tree off of my house, I'm going to have them take down my tree. As much as I love the birds, it's not worth the risk of having it come down on either my or my neighbor's house.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:17 am

I'm so sorry to hear of your unfortunate "Act of God". I take it the brunt of the damage was to the roof? Were you in the house when it fell? Now that's scary! It's too bad you have to take your tree down but it's definitely the right decision. Are you going to plant another? If I had the choice I'd plant birch, to my mind the most beautiful tree of them all.
The tree you can see in the right hand corner of the photo is an enormous Eastern Pine and we've often had the same fears about it. If that comes down it would flatten the house, but for now it seems to be well anchored.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby JKEerie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:40 pm

Hi Diat...

My 90 year old Mom and I both were in the house. I heard the loud crash. My Mom, being hard of hearing was oblivious. I guess that was a blessing. The guys were already here this morning removing the tree from the house and the debris. They'll be back tomorrow to remove my tree. A roofer has already been over and he thinks I may have a cracked rafter. Funny you should mention a birch tree, as I was thinking of planting another tree and birch would be my choice as well. My landscape guy who did the job today was asking about my neighbor (who owned the tree that damaged my house). Basically, he got off scott free and has been a real jerk about things, not even offering an apology, but going on about "he doesn't have to pay for any damage." In fact, the only thing he has to do is push the ground and stump back in place as all the wood was hauled away. My guy questioned his lack of "remorse" and my neighbor just went on about not being responsible. Just then, a huge gust of wind picked up his gas grill from under his patio and hurled it headlong into his back yard. My guy thinks God was sending him a bit of a message. So do I.

I always heard that Pine trees have shallow root systems. It looks like your area is pretty well sheltered from the wind, whereas there is no shelter at all around our pond. Those two tall trees were left by the builders and the original owners of my house. I've watched them swaying in the high winds before, but we actually had hurricane force winds yesterday and with the rain the night before the ground was soaked. Ergo, the tree fell.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:39 pm

I just read your post out loud to my hubbie and we both laughed out loud at the flying gas grill! We hope that cracked rafter won't cause too much trouble, I'd think the only way to fix it would be to remove all the roofing around it. Sounds expensive.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby JKEerie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:41 pm

The Lord works in mysterious ways. :)

Fortunately the roof damage is on the separate area of the roof above my patio. I'm already $1K toward my deductible, and I haven't received the full invoice as yet for the tree removal so, we'll see how much is my nickel versus the insurance.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:32 pm

Wow, Diat! I've seen telephone poles replaced but never saw one fly over anyone's house. Sometimes the electric company will put up a temporary pole on someone's land while a house is being built, but poles are set up along the streets around here. Why is it in your back garden?

Having a tree fall on your house is definitely scary, JK. My neighbors and I have huge 60-year-old oak trees on our properties, and I've been eyeing the two in my back yard ever since one neighbor had one come down on her house during hurricane Sandy. Fortunately, it fell slowly and hit the junction between two load-bearing walls which limited the damage, but my neighbor was terrified and had several of her trees taken down after that. The back of our properties face north, and since there's open land behind us, high winds from northeasters make me nervous.

It's a shame that you have such a curmudgeon for a neighbor, but it does seem that a bit of justice was served. :twisted:
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:44 pm

Holy cow! Such disastrous things happening to you two! I thought I was cringing when I read Diat's story, but then I read about yours, JK...
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby JKEerie » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:53 pm

Hi Lady K and Drac...

Yes...very scary times! It's not something you ever think is going to happen. The tree is off my house and my tree that was starting to come out of the ground according to my landscaper was removed today. So I don't have to worry about a second tree landing on my house and the winds can gust away.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:24 pm

LadyK, all the hydro poles in our neighborhood are situated on the borders between our gardens and the ones at the back of us. Saves having them on the street which is not the most beautiful form of street furniture and keeps all the overhead wires in the back and relatively out of sight. In the newer suburbs the wires are buried which is even nicer.

JK, you'll sleep soundly tonight!
Winfrey
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Winfrey » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:52 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
------------
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see
Henry David Thoreau]

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”