Jury Duty

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

Jury Duty

Postby mbday630 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:09 pm

I have jury duty all next week. Plus, we are supposed to get a big snowstorm this week and the courthouse is 25 miles away. I am a nervous wreck thinking that I will have to drive, find the courthouse (I have never been there) finding a parking meter, finding the jury pool room, etc. I am just praying that they don't call my number all week. Keep your fingers crossed for me that they don't call me!
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Re: Jury Duty

Postby Val » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:31 pm

Fingers crossed as I type! (?) Seriously, though, hope, if it happens, all goes smoothly. We don't have a jury system here in SA but if we did I would be as nervous of all the worries you mentioned. I would be on Google street map going through the entire journey and even looking for a parking meter. :) Good luck!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Maybe if the weather's bad, you could consider a hotel for a night or two? I was called once, but when I told them my age I was excused.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:28 pm

If the snow is bad, they may close the courts anyway. You should be notified if that happens.

I have had jury duty 3 times since I retired and served once on a jury in a criminal case. I find the whole process fascinating, but since our county seat with the courts is just 5 miles north of me, travel wasn't a problem. If I had to drive to Trenton where the state courts are, that would be more of an annoyance.
There's no such thing as too many books!
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:16 pm

Well... New York state has already declared a state of emergency in advance of the snow storm. All of the schools and many of the local court houses as far as in western New York are closed tomorrow and it hasn't even begun to snow. Hopefully, your courthouse will be closed as well and you'll be off the hook!
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:30 pm

We dodged the snow bullet completely here in Ocean county. We had a few flurries and some sleet and high winds, but then it all turned to rain. The only problem now will be black ice forming overnight, but fortunately, I don't have to go anywhere tonight nor tomorrow.
There's no such thing as too many books!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:39 pm

Here in Ottawa it started snowing late this morning and isn't forecast to stop until tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby mbday630 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:24 pm

I dodged the bullet. I just called and the answering machine said that there were no more jury trials this week so I am off the hook! I have been a nervous wreck all week thinking that they might call me. I am going to have my doctor write me an excuse to get out of it if they ever call me again. I am too old and too nervous to try this crap again! Whew.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:43 pm

Good for you, mbday!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:53 am

Glad to hear you are off the hook, mbday! I am on the list for jury duty for the next 6 months, but haven't been called yet. I was called to be on Federal jury duty last fall. I don't mind running in town 6 miles away for the county, but for Federal jury duty I have to drive an hour into downtown St. Louis... parking is a nightmare and I hate driving down there. I was the "star" witness in a Federal arson case when I was working and it was horrible! Since that was when I was going through all my health issues, my doctor wrote me an excuse to get out of it. Whew!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:12 am

Whew a lucky escape indeed! Yes do that doctor excuse next time. It is cruel to expose us 'seniors' to anything stressful, especially when no alcohol is allowed!!!! LOL!
draclvr
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:28 am

My sentiments exactly, Val! Perhaps a glass of wine with that jury duty!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Winfrey
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Winfrey » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:51 am

Glad you did not have to face a scary drive!! Jury duty here in Tennessee is 6 months also.. I had just moved here when I received a summons... freaked me out as I wondered how to control doctor visits and my trips back to California... fortunately the courts are accommodating and with a phone call the day before you could let them know you could not make it or would be gone on vacation... made it through the 6 months... but I did get called and served... interesting case...
------------
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see
Henry David Thoreau]

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”