Halloween

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Helen7869
Restless Spirit
Restless Spirit

Halloween

Postby Helen7869 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:57 pm

I'm a big Halloween fan as those that know me already know. :D

When my boys were younger and lived at home we had the best time, along with all their friends scaring the kids and decorating our "haunted yard" along with visiting as many haunted houses, hayrides, and haunted forests that we could squeeze in during the short season. Now it seems though,that they have started opening a lot of places in September around here. Yay! :)

I don't do as many as I used to mainly because I can't get many people to go. Along with them being adults and trying to work out being able to go on specific nights. But I am going to a haunted hayride for sure and "Nightmare in the Wilderness" ( one of my favorites.) :) It's really a great time and I am the biggest screamer around. After the screaming is done we laugh hysterically. :D

Anyone else love Halloween, and do you have any special traditions?
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Halloween

Postby draclvr » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:13 pm

Helen, you are a woman after my own heart! Halloween is my absolute favorite day of the year. I used to dress up as a witch to hand out the candy while my husband took the boys around to trick or treat. I usually sewed their costumes to be whatever their current favorite super hero was! Such a long time ago, but they both still love Halloween now that they have families of their own.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:22 pm

My Chatty Hatters have a Halloween party every year. Last year we did one of those murder mysteries and all of us dressed the parts. This year we all have to show off a fun talent, such as singing, dancing, poetry reading, telling jokes, demonstrating a craft or receipe, or whatever, and we have to wear a costume that goes along with it. My sister has a silly desktop dancing skeleton, so she's going to wear a skeleton costume and mimic its motions. I'm going to dress like a proper Victorian lady and hope to get a laugh or two by singing The Kingston Trio's "The Ballad of the Shape of Things." It should be fun. We may also play haunted minature golf if we can get a reservation.
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Stella » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:13 am

Last year I went with 2 of my Grandsons to the Haunted forest. Starts with a hay ride out into the apple orchard, where you're at the mercy of the ghosties and goblins wandering around, as you walk back through the trees. We were being properly spooked, when all of a sudden we see this little ghost running full out, straight at us. Grandsons are yelling, " run Grandma, run " as the ghost runs up to me and say's " Hi "! This little ghosty happened to be a friends son, who recognized me. After he ran off, my Grandsons looked out from behind the tree and ask, " Did you know that ghost, Grandma? " :D
draclvr
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:26 am

What a great story, Stella!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:16 pm

Aaah, lovely story - how many grandchildren do you have, Stella? Cant believe that the last time I saw you, your children were still children!
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:36 pm

5 Grandsons. Never a dull moment. :)
Helen7869
Restless Spirit
Restless Spirit

Postby Helen7869 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:34 pm

Great story Stella. :D

Lady K, Sounds like such fun. Sadly most of my "older" friends just don't enjoy it as much as they used to. I have a great yard to have a fun Halloween/costume party but I know most wouldn't bother to dress up. :sad:

Draclvr, yes, my husband used to take the boys and I would stay and give out candy too, but as they got closer to 11-12 years old they just wanted to decorate and scare. I used to pretty much force them to at least go around the block and get candy for me if nothing else. :D And they would do it very quickly to get back and scare. You know we did that till they were in their 20's lol. They have a friend that will go professional soon. He ran a haunted yard for years, used to be on the news every year and has gathered many props over time.Both of my sons would work there and help build it when they could. As they all got older and worked jobs and had families it got harder to give the time. They charged a fee and donated the money to chron's disease. I was told the other day he will be buying property and plans to be in the Halloween scare business within the next year or two. I look forward to it. :D

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”