Home Upset Home

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Home Upset Home

Postby LadyKestrel » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:26 am

I'm having new floors put in most of this 57-year-old house. I had a whole house inspection done a few months ago, not because I'm planning on moving, but because I didn't want any surprises to jump out and bite me in the future. One of the things the inspector found was delamination of the plywood holding up my floors, which I had suspected because of some bouncy and creaky spots. The original floors were dark oak but had been carpeted over by the previous owner. When we moved in 30 years ago, my husband took up the carpeting and put parquet in the front room. Although the bedroom floors weren't that great in spots, we covered most of the blemishes with area rugs. It's a mess right now, but I'm glad I decided to do it because so much of the underflooring is rotten and even moldy in spots. They will put down new oak floors with a natural finish, which will lighten up all the rooms. In the meantime, most of my stuff is in a storage container in the driveway, and I'm sleeping on the couch, but it'll be worth it in the end.
Winter is an etching, spring is a watercolor, summer is an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all. -Stanley Horowitz
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Re: Home Upset Home

Postby Val » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:59 am

Oh well done! Hope the couch sleeping arrangement won't last too long. In the end it will be worth it. Let us see the beautiful splendour eventually please?! :)
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:42 am

Wow, that is a major upset! I've been putting off taking up the wall to wall in my bedroom for years, but I think you've just shamed me into doing it.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Stella » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:36 am

Ugh, I feel for ya! I pulled up my 30 year old carpet, and what a job that was! Then there's the dilemma of picking out the new. It will be wonderful when complete, but until then, you have my sympathy!
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Postby LadyKestrel » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:51 am

Yesterday the workers cleared out all the old oak flooring in the 3 original bedrooms. The front room, which is now my dining room, and most of the main hallway have new plywood. They started there because they had to do some work in the crawl space, including fixing the piers holding up the main floor beam and soldering a small leak in one of my baseboard heating pipes. It was easier to do that while the floor was open. The next step is putting new plywood in the bedrooms. While they have those floors open, they'll also fix some cracks in the foundation caused by the roots of the oak trees that were planted to close to the house. I took two of them down a year or so ago, but the damage had already been done.
Winter is an etching, spring is a watercolor, summer is an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all. -Stanley Horowitz
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:55 am

Are you able to salvage any of the original oak? I'm sure one of these recycling places would pay for them.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Postby LadyKestrel » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:07 am

No, most of it is in pretty bad shape, Diat, and I'm not up to pulling out the salvageable pieces. I'm not even sure if there's a place in my area that recycles wood.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:40 pm

Oh, wow, what a mess. I'm about ready to take up the horrid carpet in my living room and put down new wood floors. The original flooring from over 100 years ago is beautiful, gorgeous heart pine. Unfortunately the wood is very soft and simply won't hold up to traffic, wear and tear. I absolutely loathe carpet, but when Dave moved out here after we got married 18 years ago, he HAD to have carpet. Ugh... Because we live in the country and both work outside all the time, the dirt and crap that gets tracked in is epic. Now I take my shoes off and never wear them in the house because of that; but Dave refuses to take off his boots and he gets everything from grease to dirt to straw and grass tracked in. I give up and I have henceforth refused to constantly clean the carpet. So, off it goes!! I will have to do the dining room too because the two rooms are next to each other. The flooring in there is a perfectly nice distressed wood laminate, but the chances of me finding the same thing again are slim and none.

PICTURES PLEASE when it's done!!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:56 am

I'm a fan of the laminates these days. I know they're not as nice as wood floors, but at my age and with my knees, I appreciate floors that I can push a mop over and don't need extra care. I've got a Swiffer WetJet that I love!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:11 am

I'm with you, Diat. I have laminate in the kitchen, dining room and sun porch and love them.

I've been drooling over one of the robotic vacuums and after watching my sister's little robot work when we were up in NW Iowa for mom's birthday, finally took the plunge and ordered one from Amazon. I didn't get the super-expensive one, but a different one that two people I know have highly recommended.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Postby LadyKestrel » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:47 pm

I thought about getting a Roomba or something similar, but I think it might freak out the dogs. :)
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:26 pm

It will be interesting to see how the cat reacts to it! They are very quiet and move around quite gracefully...
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:12 pm

We'll look forward to hearing about your experiences with your Roomba-style vacuum! Especially how hard it is to set up.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:21 pm

Got my Deebot today. Plugged in the base, popped on the little brush sweepers and turned it on. It has just enough battery to go straight to it's home base... plugged itself in and started charging itself. Now to see how it does on my floors tomorrow!
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:16 am

If I can get the insert right, check out this cute little video of a dog coming to terms with said robot vacuum cleaner!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTSH3hxdk_A

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”